Thursday, July 30, 2020

Rain's Thursday Art Date: Descent


Today we're meeting at Rain's for her Thursday Art Date.  This week, the theme is Descent.  I don't have a lot of examples, so this will be a very short post.

This is from my 7-Continents altered book and is in Rio de Janeiro.  The image on the left is a postcard and the one on the right is from a travel magazine.  It is part of a larger page.

A rather puny entry in my 7-Continents altered book shows the descent of the water at Skogafoss Waterfalls in Iceland.

Here's a different view from behind the waterfall.

I'm certainly not too good at showing this waterfall located on the Ring Road in Iceland.

Another waterfall descending in Iceland.  Even more iconic are the Icelandic Horses.

Washi tapes in descending order were used to create my Christmas cards in 2019.

I guess you could say the car is descending into the abyss in Bleubeard's bad dream.

I can probably trace my ancestors to some of these kings and queens I created for an altered book I made for a friend.  If you want to see the entire book, page by page, I have it listed on my right sidebar under Kings and Queens: the altered book.

Not sure this could be considered descending, but it would be a scary descent from this angle.

I think that's everything I can find this week.  All art created by me.  The one photo was taken by me.  Bleubeard is as afraid of heights as much as I, so he hid under the sideboard in the dining room while I looked for anything I could use for this prompt.

Thank you ever so much for visiting today.  I am truly grateful to you, my friends, followers, readers, and lurkers for visiting.  Please also join me today at Rain's Thursday Art Date where I'm sure others will have much better examples of descent.


27 thoughtful remarks:

Mansi Devgan said...

Thanks for sharing rains thursday art date descent article. i like your information car hire Jodhpur.

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Elizabeth, nice selection of images. I'm not joining in today, just not well enough. Have a great day, Valerie

Elkes Lebensglück said...

I got the word through google translator lineage and didn't descend laughing ...
Your posting is fantastic with your work and photos, fits the topic fabulously
Have a beautiful week and take care of yourself, hugs Elke

Iris Flavia said...

I have a cable car today, too :-)
Awww, that camera pin is very cute and who does not love a waterfall? I´ll refill my water lion in a minute!
I remember the Christmas card, a great idea!
Was Bleubeard hit by a car once?! Ohhh, I saw the black cat again yesterday, he/she was too quick inbetween the houses, sadly.
Huhhh, "afraid" of heights here,also!

Karen said...

Terrific examples ~ I would love to go to Iceland, and hope to next summer to celebrate my daughter graduating from High School. The cable car would be fun to ride too ~ thank you for the visual journey's this morning

Barbara said...

A waterfall, one of the best examples of “descent”. It’s a rough one to illustrate.

Cathy Kennedy said...

Elizabeth,

The photos of the waterfalls are fabulous. I love opportunities to photograph them when I can if it's easy. I don't want to hike miles and miles to get to one, though. lol You put together some good examples of descent. It would freak me out to make a descent from the ceiling to the floor. My first thought was the scene in Mission Impossible where Tom Cruise is breaking into vault to steal something. :) Have a doodletastic day, my dear!

CJ Kennedy said...

I like all the ways you interpreted the word "descent" The waterfalls are really cool. Take care.

My name is Erika. said...

That's a tough topic. But you represented it really really well. I can see descent everywhere. I especially enjoyed the skogafoss waterfall views as I was there 4 years ago right now in Iceland. I can't believe it has been that many years already. Anyhow, you've got some great pages and wouldn't be it be cool to find you could trace your ancestors to some of the royalty. Not me. I think I come from a very long line of farmers and maybe even miners. Happy Thursday. Hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

awesome examples Elizabeth

Christine said...

Lovely photos, I like the waterfall example.

Rain said...

Hi Elizabeth! :)) Okay, that last photo nearly gave me vertigo lol...what a perspective. I wouldn't want to descend that way either! I love your photos, that Skogafoss waterfall is spectacular! I hope that Bleubeard's dream isn't a recurring one!! :)

da tabbies o trout towne said...

oh em cod, that waterfall is amazing !!!

bleu...sorree dood ya hada bad dreem...we bet ewe all reddy noe what R nite marez iz all a bout !! ;) ☺☺♥3

RO said...

Wow! Such impressive work, and my goodness, those pictures of waterfalls are so fantastic. You know I always love seeing work with washi tape too! Hugs, RO

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Fabulous waterfall pic Elizabeth, I love the image of the man(?) standing in front of it, amazing. I'm glad the car over flying over the house is only a dream, a bad one at that. The last photo made me a little giddy hee hee.. I'm not very good with heights. Hugs Tracey xx

Jeanie said...

I love waterfalls. You found some really beautiful ones and they "tell the story," for lack of a better word!

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like waterfalls, a great selection of pictures.

All the best Jan

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Wonderful interpretations, specially the waterfalls.

-Soma

DVArtist said...

Ohhh Elizabeth!!!! The waterfalls I didn't even think of that. Brilliant my friend. Yeah I think that angle fits the theme perfectly. Your dream is one I can do without. LOL

kathyinozarks said...

Thank you so much for your comments on my post Elizabeth-and I feel better now that I am Not the only one that struggles with distance distance that it should be protrayed with lighter colors-I keep thinking they should be dark-

aussie aNNie said...

Love seeing waterfalls and your post is just beautiful. Thanks for your sweet comments all the time.xx

Meggymay said...

A quick visit again today. I have enjoyed seeing this selection of pages and I think Bleubeard's descending dream would be my favourite if I had to choose. The waterfalls also looked spectacular.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

Words and Pictures said...

What excellent playing with the notion of descent. Like the trip into your potential ancestral heritage, wonderful waterfalls and clever washi trees. Oh, and I don't want to go on that cable car thank you!
Alison x

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I am late as usual but glad to be here. I am not surprised that you liked my cat pictures as cat people are drawn to anything cat. So your short post was not really all that short, but by all means interesting ... and I am with you when it comes to fear of heights. I try to keep my feet firmly planted on the ground :) Have a wonderful week, Elizabeth ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Divers and Sundry said...

I think the waterfall is a perfect image for "descent". It makes me dizzy to contemplate!

NatureFootstep said...

I have been to Skogafoss and it is one of my favorite waterfalls. Would not mind going back. Love your post. :)

Kokopelli said...

Great interpretations of "Descent". I especially love the Christmas cards and remember I did something similar with fabric scraps some years ago.