Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Feel the heat?


Today I'll be joining Erika, who many of you know as Bio Art Gal and is also this month's host at Art Journal Journey

Her theme is When It's Hot. This will be my final entry this month at Art Journal Journey

Can you feel the heat?

It's getting hot

in this old fashioned kitchen.

I feel so sorry for this poor housewife who is putting up with all this heat. Just the idea of having to wear the long dress and an equally long apron while standing over several pots of steaming food makes me hot. 

Although this is showing the "old way" of cooking, I was enamored by the items that were in the kitchen, including that old clock and the steaming pots sitting on the kitchen table.

Sadly, even the chair is holding a huge bowl, so she couldn't sit down even if she wanted to.

I began with a sheet of my handmade paper I tore when I removed it from the mold.  Thankfully, I was able to remove the part that was torn because this altered book is only 5.5 X 8 inches (13,97 X 20,32 centimeters) and my handmade papers are 8.5 X 11 inches (21,59 X 27,94 centimeters).  I used a glue stick to adhere the handmade paper to the book page.

I also adhered the image I copied from a 1972 book called the Cooks Catalog, along with the computer generated sentiment.  Lots of fun pages and images in this book in addition to telling about all the latest instruments one needed in the 1970s kitchens.  My friend Sally gave the catalog to me and it is HUGE.    Over 850 pages and tons of images.  The size of the book is BIG.  BIGGER than any other book I own.  I'm guessing it's about 9 X 12 inches (22,86 X 27,94 centimeters) and over 2 inches (5,08 centimeters) thick.  Too bad it's not sewn, so I can't alter it. 

This image shows the "discomfort" of an old fashioned wood stove and steamy kitchen and how things changed when modern day ranges (stoves) were introduced.

Bleubeard and I are delighted you joined us today, and we also hope to see you at Art Journal Journey

19 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

My auntie used to cook on a stove like that when I was a kid, and was very sad when she moved and had to change to a modern kitchen which she didn't like at all. Have a great day, Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

Great post, my mum used to always cook on a wood stove and the food always tasted yummy, compared to using gas or electricity. Love the hot pink. x

Iris Flavia said...

1972?! Now I feel like really old, LOL. I do believe there were electrical stoves around in my family.
But I agree, awful times to imagine to cook like that! I like the background.
But, wee. Cold again over here, 19C/66F, brrr.

My name is Erika. said...

My first thought was she must be so hot. Agreed with the wood heat and the long dress and no AC. I can’t image the meal was light and simple either. But maybe the good thing it that it is safer than cooking in a fireplace. And I did notice your homemade paper which is amazing. I love the texture it has. The pink is a great contrast with your picture too. Pink is fun and frilly and that poor women isn’t cooking for fun most likely. Those poor women of the old days who had to cook but didn’t like it. Thanks so much for adding this hot page which also thought provoking. Happy Wednesday. Hugs Erika

Barbara said...

Ditto, I also thought of the cumbersome hot clothing. Your handmade paper is a lovely pink! I never got such a pretty color making paper. Neat page!

CJ Kennedy said...

Though pink isn't my color, you certainly got the shade of hot pink. Very cool hand made paper. Great texture looks more like canvas. Your image reminds me of my grandmothers. I'm so glad I didn't have to wear that heavy clothing (the dress and petticoats that went with it) and on hot days when it's too hot to cook, a blessing to zap leftovers in the microwave in a kitchen with the comfort of a fan or air-conditioning

Eileen Bergen said...

That's quite a neat vintage image. She must be preparing a holiday meal toned so many pots and that huge salad on the chair. I'm glad you found a great way to use the torn handmade paper.

Eileen xx

craftytrog said...

Great page Elizabeth, that's a wonderful image, poor lady! xx

da tabbies o trout towne said...

she might be an ancestor....that why I don't like to cook !!! :) ♥♥♥☺☺☺

bleu N squiggles, shoutin it out two ewe both two day & sayin HI !! ☺☺♥♥

dee Nambiar said...

That's a picture with so many storires in it.

I can almost feel the heat by that stove. :)
Sometimes I feel I need a shower after I spend some time on the dishes that need to be on the stove for a bit and need to be watched. :D

Have a good week, Elizabeth.

Sandra Cox said...

Oh gosh. Can you imagine dealing with the heat, the clothes, the cooking?
Yikes.
Great piece.

Karen said...

I couldn't imagine wearing all those layers! ugh ~ the laundry too ~ We have it pretty good!

Darla said...

This was timely for me. I spent quite a bit of time over a steaming pot today myself. I was making apple butter. You have to stir and stir and then stir some more. My stove is of course more modern and it wasn't a hot day. I realized how lucky I am when I saw this.

Meggymay said...

That kitchen sure looks hot, but I'm sure delicious food would be produced to feed the family.
Sorry I haven'y commented on your posts that I missed recently, but I have enjoyed reading them this morning and seeing your fantastic art inspiration.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

RO said...

Yikes! Just the thought of that seems like pure suffering! Things sure have changed! Hope you are doing well! Hugs, RO

Jeanie said...

I'm getting ready to make dinner -- and this one resonates with me. I have a feeling I'll be feeling the heat soon!

Lowcarb team member said...

What a wonderful idea for this theme.
Sometimes even kitchens today do get too hot!

All the best Jan

Words and Pictures said...

We forget how lucky we are sometimes, don't we ... even in the midst of chaos and crisis, there's a lot to be grateful for!!

Love the pink on the handmade paper - so much scrumptious texture brought to our attention by the vivid colour, and the image itself is brilliant. Looking forward to seeing more from the catalogue (I have to have my UE on the end... I'm from the other side of the Atlantic!).
Alison x

Divers and Sundry said...

I like feeling the heat in a kitchen, and I can almost smell the food cooking. She's got a lot going on! I like the color you chose for the background, and I am always impressed with your hand-made paper. Beautiful!