Monday, June 22, 2020

Scraps, a new altered book


I've been inspired by my friend Valerie, who has started using her scraps.  She writes she has until the end of June to use her scraps, or they go in the trash.  Her scraps are so much more beautiful than mine, so I'm struggling to get something cohesive.

I chose this new book to alter.

I guess I can't exactly call it a "new" book, since it was published in 1952.

I thought I took photos of how I reinforced the front and back of the book after I took out some of the pages, but apparently, I only "dreamt" I took photos.  This is the front cover and first page of the book.

If you want to start an altered book, you can do so along with me as I've just removed at least 1/3 of the pages.  I've also bent the book back and forth to make sure it will stand up to the extreme use it will receive.  I bent it in the center and at each quarter.  I know it is a sewn book, the only requirement of these altered books.

This is the title page, which also should be reinforced.

This is the back page.  You can reinforce the back cover and the opposing side to this page first, but I was in a hurry and went back later to do so.

This is the page to the inside of the last page, which also needs to be reinforced.  Sorry my fingers look so rough.  I probably wash them 40 or more times a day and never think to use lotion afterward.

This is the first page I created in this altered book I'll call Scraps.

The inspiration for this page was the word "Home."

The clocks are for Halle's theme of A Stitch in Time at Art Journal Journey

This is my first page, which is all scraps, including the paint I got free from my local household hazardous waste swap and shop.  I used this pale green paint to cover the words on the page.  When dry, the page is much softer than if I'd covered it with gesso.

In case you can't read the sentiment, it is "It's time to head HOME, where

my two cats greet me."

I didn't realize the ink from my Zig ink pen I used to write the sentiment on the shiny envelope wouldn't dry.  As you can see, I made a mess and tried to write the sentiment over the first, which was probably worse than had I left everything alone.

My inspiration for this page was the word "HOME."  To that, I added things that reminded me of home, or felt right on the page.  To the house, I added the clock I fussy cut and colored using water soluble crayons.  I also added the larger clock to the top and a flower I found in a magazine showing flowers to which bees and butterflies are attracted.  Next, I added the words to a beautiful envelope I got in California one year.  The long Native American strip was a sticker, as were the two cats.  The green circle was left over from an index card I was working on.

Bleubeard and I are absolutely delighted you joined us as I started a new altered book, and we also hope to see you at Art Journal Journey



20 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Good to see you have made a start on your scraps, and the first page has turned really well, a 'homepage' at the beginning, that's good. I have now finished with my scraps. 2 albums are full to bursting, and the rest of the scraps has been disposed of. My kitchen and sewing table are tidy again. Okay, it won't last long! Have a fun day, Valerie

Bertiebo said...

HOME... where the heart is. I like your work.

sirkkis said...

Lovely words and awesome and cosy layout.
Have a happy week ahead xx

CJ Kennedy said...

I enjoyed watching your process and I giggle when you said you dreamed you had taken prep pictures. I do that all the time, too. I like the home graphic and seeing your sweet boys.

Sandra Cox said...

I love it! Look at those kitties.

Nancy said...

A home for scraps- good idea. I'd need more time than the end of June to use up all of my scraps! But it certainly is something to think about doing. Fun.

Linda Manning Findley said...

A great way to use up scraps ... I will enjoy seeing all you create with your scraps ...

Jeanie said...

I love your book and appreciate your "reinforcement" instructions and all. And I also love how you were inspired by Valerie's pieces --isn't it great how we inspire each other? I like the page you did already. Especially how you did the "Ö" in "Home."

Meggymay said...

Its going to be an awesome altered journal book. I really need to re-home loads of scraps as well.
It was a fantastic home page starter and I am looking forward to seeing the next pages you create.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

I really love the way you did the "o" in "home". What a great idea!

Iris Flavia said...

I like this motto very much (sadly I only have a toy cat).
I like the "mess", it shows how time runs, kinda...

peggy gatto said...

This looks like a fun project, love to use scraps!!!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

nice use of scraps and this book page Elizabeth!! ☺☺♥♥

Caty said...

Your new altered book will be gorgeous Elizabeth !! I loove the first Art journal page you have created, it´s great to use scraps, and create Art. These cats may come back home for sure !!
Thanks so much for sharing how you reinforce your new book. I wish you a very nice new week, and send big hugs,
Caty

DVArtist said...

You are so talented. This is awesome.

My name is Erika. said...

I am with you that Valerie's scraps are very inspiring. You're looks amazing also. I love the big home word and the kitties. And this will be a cool book. And I like how you told a story with it. I've been thinking of doing a similar thing a I have been going through magazines to get rid of the pile. One of these days. Hugs-Erika

craftytrog said...

I love this page! xx

Words and Pictures said...

I think any scraps can tell a story, and this page certainly does. I love the HOME theme, and the little clockhouse for the O is a lovely touch. The silvery circles are great how they catch the light. Look forward to seeing more pages in this book now you've reinforced it.
Alison x

Halle said...

I love the cover on that book. Glad you decided to reinforce it. I do like the page you created...no worries about the pen. It happens and its lovely.

Eileen Bergen said...

Terrific page, Elizabeth! So meaningful too. Don't you just love those clock faces and the painting technique? Hugs, Eileen