Friday, June 26, 2020

Friday Smiles 377: back to the Eisenhower Museum and this week's ICADs


It's Friday, which means it's time to join Annie (at A Stitch in Time) and the lovely ladies at Friday Smiles.  Today we are headed back to the Eisenhower Museum.  If you are not interested in this museum, feel free to skip down to my ICADs.

We left off with this photo showing world activity in WWII in early 1942.

In late 1941, Ike left Texas because General Marshall called him to Washington, D.C. to work in the War Department. 

Ike became General Marshall's assistant, at which time Ike came up with a plan for every supreme command in the war.

As you can read, Ike was named Assistant Chief of Staff in charge of War Plans in early 1942. He received a temporary promotion to major general in March and was named Assistant Chief of Staff of the New Operations Division.  When his father died that same year, he was unable to return home to attend the funeral due to his duties at the War Department.

This is how Operation OVERLORD (D-Day) started.

Ike arrived in London in May to study joint defense.  It was at that time he was appointed Commander of the European Theater of Operations.

Mamie moved often in those days, as you can read.


This shows the allied powers

during the war.


Now we're getting away from Ike

and concentrating on weapons of war

during that era.

I wonder how many of these would be used in today's armed services.


These are all American firearms

and weapons.

Next we shift to women in the military

during WWII, and some of the uniforms they wore.

During WWI, the U.S. military was segregated.  Ike fought hard to integrate the military in WWII.  He also fought hard for equality.

I think this is a good place to stop this week.

And now for this week's ICADs:

Snow day?
Joy
If only
Color my world
It's all relative
Take a bite out of it
Free bird
Thanks so much for joining Bleubeard and me today.   Please let me know if you like any of these.  If you know someone who is a blogger and is sharing their ICADs, please let me know and I will visit them.  I have no way of seeing them on other social media sites. 

Let's also head over to Annie's because she knows how to put a smile on everyone's faces.  And whatever you do, please don't forget to start your weekend off right with a few Friday Smiles of your own.  And remember, if you would like to play along, Annie will welcome you just as she did me many years ago.

21 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely ICADs. If wishes were horses I'd be galloping away somewhere else right now! Have a great day, keep cool! Valerie

Annie said...

Love the ICADs....It's good to see you're being creative. I'm sure it helps us get through these difficult times.
Hugs,
Annie x

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I've been enjoying seeing your museum photos. Lovely ICAD artwork. You've been very creative again this week dear Elizabeth.

Iris Flavia said...

More than 16 million, that is some sad number.
I can´t read the section on diversity, can you explain?

No! Nonono, no snow, eeek!
"It's all relative" is my favorite this time :-)

CJ Kennedy said...

Another interesting trip to the museum. Ike appeared to be ahead of his time. Another great crop of ICADs except the snow made me cry 😉

Cindy McMath said...

Wonderful ICADs again this week Elizabeth. I have two favourites this week: Free Bird (because birds and bingo), and It’s all Relative (because circles, stitching and dictionary).

My name is Erika. said...

There's lots of nice things today to see. I am enjoying this visit to the Eisenhower museum. Ike was quite the guy. No wonder why people voted him for president. And nice collection of ICADS. Hope i's a great Friday and start to your weekend. Hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

I always enjoy visiting this museum Awesome week of ICADS Elizabeth

Sandra Cox said...

How difficult it must have been for Ike not to be able to go home for his father's funeral. Kind of the situation lots are finding themselves in today. As always, love the pieces especially If Wishes Were Horses:)
Stay safe. Be healthy.

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous visiting the museum with you! Those ICADs are beautiful and those horses are adorable 😁. I hope you've had a lovely week! Happy weekend! Hugs, Jo x

DVArtist said...

Wow I would love to go to this museum. You have shared so many amazing aspects of it. Of course I love your art.

Lynn Holland said...

I know Mo is doing ICAD with her grandson Logan but I don’t know if she is sharing them. Would you like me to ask her xxx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Always enjoy following you around the museum but loving the ICADs even more. Have a lovely weekend. Hugs to you both, Angela xXx

Karen said...

Terrific post ~ Pinterest has lot's of ICAD inspiration if you have access to that site. I love Pinterest and get lost in visual delights quite often :) Enjoy the weekend!

aussie aNNie said...

Interesting as always....still getting my computer programes added to my new one so takes so much of my time.xx

Meggymay said...

Super photos and the information boards are so clear to read, I am thinking some may have been behind glass. I enjoyed your post and the visit to the museum.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

mamapez5 said...

Lots of creativity in your ICAD Elizabeth. If wishes were horses....now there's an idea. Sorry I didn't get to visit yesterday. I doing a quick round today instead. It is very hot here already, so I need to get to everyone before lunch. It will be too hot to even sit by the computer after that. kate x

craftytrog said...

Wonderful ICADs Elizabeth! We've been on the same wavelength, I made one very similar to 'It's all relative' this week. Great titles too as always.
Alison xx

Linda Kunsman said...

Thanks for another interesting museum exhibit.I am always most fascinated with the clothing in exhibits.
Super ICADS- but the snow one- I can't bear the thought of it at the moment:)

Lowcarb team member said...

Enjoyable to see your museum photographs.
Nice to see your ICADs, they look great.

All the best Jan

Divers and Sundry said...

That must be a _huge_ museum! I've given up trying to decide on a favorite lol "It's all relative" maybe... Or "Color My World"... or...