Thursday, June 25, 2020

Heat Wave


Today we're meeting at Rain's for her Thursday Art Date.  This week, the theme is Heat Wave.

When I think of heat wave, I think of hot,

much like these hot peppers.

Maybe we should think of red hot, like red hot love.

Bright, bold colors can appear hot, too.

If this guy wasn't so incredibly scary, he might be hot, too.

Then there's the hot and wild days in Africa.

Why not power up your hot glue gun and create some hot glue flowers.

Or use your heat tool to heat emboss a few flowers.

Why not take your art outside, where it's fun to rust fabric and lace.  Note the disposable gloves you MUST wear when rusting fabric or paper.  Rust can get in your hemoglobin and cause all kinds of health problems.  Like wearing a mask today in public is simply smart, wearing disposable gloves when working with rust will save your health.

Heat certainly accelerates the rusting process.

A few fabrics drying on my front porch

and a few fabrics now safe to handle in my craft room (or I would still be wearing gloves).

How would you like a cool drink to beat the heat.  Here I've ordered a chocolate malted shake.

Of course, you could always create some sun tea like I have.  This will be used for making art, but sun tea is always fun to make when the heat is on.

It doesn't matter what time of year, I always order water with lemon when I am at a restaurant.  Cold and refreshing regardless of the temperature outside.

Switching gears, I can create lots of heat with my chiminea and my smoker.

Of course, if you want to see a real heat wave,

visit me during the summer in Kansas (USA).  I realize most Europeans don't feel the need for air conditioning, but I assure you, you wouldn't last two days in this heat if you didn't have it to cool you down.  106 degrees F is 41,1 degrees C.

All art created by me.  All photos taken by me.  Bleubeard was actually excited because, unlike me, he actually loves the heat. 

Thank you beyond belief for visiting today.  I am truly grateful to you, my friends, followers, readers, and lurkers for visiting.  Please also join me today at Rain's Thursday Art Date.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to play next week, because I'm hosting my Second on the 2nd link party.  The idea is to share a post you've already shown in the past.


22 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Hot photos, well chosen! I think most Europeans would love air conditioning, especially as Europe has 'hotted up' these past years, but very few homes have it. So I continue to suffer and sweat and wait for the kinder days of autumn!! Have a great day, Valerie

Helen said...

I don't like the heat' the last couple of days here haven't been fun but it's changing in time for the weekend... stay cool!

aussie aNNie said...

Hot hot hot, isn't there a song with those words in it....love your fabulous post and the hidden pic of you...lovely lady.xx

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Your interpretations of heat wave are fantastic!
Great what you show! I don't like the summer heat either!
I wish you a nice day, hugs Elke

Iris Flavia said...

I go with Bleubeard, I loooove heat! But I admit, inside the cabin, when we´re in Perth, I´m glad we have aircon. Outside 40+C I´m fine (well I wouldn´t jog around as many a Perthie does).
Sadly we only have 20C right now and I´m glad your artwork warmed me up a little, I love these hot colors and crave hot food now. A tea will have to do.

Thank you for the hot read, very well done, clever :-)

Bertiebo said...

Love your artwork. At the moment we have a heatwave too. 34C, in the shadow that is. So time to be creative inside

pearshapedcrafting said...

Phew!! Thought it was hot here today - and I do feel slightly warmer having seen these fabulous photos!
We have the hottest day so far - 30* at the moment, with fortunately the slightest of breezes so all the doors and windows are open to let it blow through! Thunderstorms are forecast for overnight! Have a lovely day, Chrisxx

Christine said...

wonderful entry for heat wave Elizabeth, I feel the heat!

Sami said...

Interesting interpretation of heat Elizabeth.
I had no idea rust was bad for your blood, something I learned with your post, but luckily I don't work with rust :)
Have a great day

Karen said...

Lot's of great Hot thoughts & creations ~ We have hot and very humid weather here in Va. I like hot tea, coffee, soup and fires ~ Not so much weather and spicy foods :) Enjoy your day

da tabbies o trout towne said...

106 degrees !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not sure I could tolerate that; I become like the cat's when they've had too much crankee ass cat chow; when the temperature passes 85 !!! ☺☺♥♥

Birgit said...

Having a heat wave, a tropical heat wave.... My dad used to eat hot peppers as is. His face would turn as red as the pepper but he would keep eating them...yuck. I do love your pages including the colours for a heat wave. The embossed flowers are great. I know rust isn't the best thing if you have a cut but i didn't know it can absorb into the skin. It will be neat to see what you will do with the fabric. I hate the sticky heat and would die without the A/C

Divers and Sundry said...

I love your heat wave oranges/yellows/reds. I enjoy the hot humid summers here and don't need air conditioning except at night, but oh, those hot nights! I'm grateful for the AC then :)

I have one of those pottery circle of friends pieces. It's fun to see something else we have in common :)

My name is Erika. said...

Nice collection of heatwave photos are art. And nice rusting. I would definitely wear disposable gloves when dyeing, even though my hands would get hot. (ha-ha). It was good to get a second look at some art. I hope today you were able to stay cool, not hot. Hugs-Erika

Rita said...

Hot colors, hot peppers, and Africa. Good choices. :)

Darla said...

You gave your all for the HOT! I enjoyed the artwork. I'm envious of the rusted fabric. I tried that last year (and even used your tutorial) but my results were kind of puny. Not many spots, mostly even colors. Maybe I'll give it another try this summer.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I agree ... Heat Wave does mean hot and hot peppers are HOT!!! Smoke coming out of your ears hot! You have so many neat projects. I honestly had never heard of rusting, though I think I probably have worn some rusted clothing, now that you have brought it to my attention. I think I will skip doing that now as I am already a little overwhelmed with the Corona Heat. I have been to Kansas City several times for antique auctions. I agree, it can't be done without air conditioning ... even in the Chicago area, where I live, we have unbearable heat and it is humid here because of the lake, I assume. Humidity is what makes heat unbearable in my estimation ... my kids always accused me of being grumpy when it was humid :) Who me, grumpy? Anyway, as always I have enjoyed our visit ... can't wait to see what you come up with next week :)

Andrea @ From The Sol

NatureFootstep said...

not only hot weather, you got hot spices as well.

Love how you used desert colors for the last fabric ones. They are such beautiful colors. :)

Mae Travels said...

You say that life without A/C wouldn't work in a Kansas summer, but in fact before around 1965, it was rare for homes and businesses to have A/C -- just a fan (maybe). To cool off you could go to a movie or put a block of ice in front of your electric fan. Or go to a swimming pool or waterway. And who knows how they made it from the founding to the 1920s!

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

DVArtist said...

You nailed it. Love the heat photos. I am with BlueBeard love the heat. I too order water with lemon. Have a great weekend.

Lowcarb team member said...

Love what you've shared for the heatwave theme.

I don't like too hot weather, as we have had in the UK recently.
Your temperatures sound HOT HOT HOT thank goodness you have air conditioning.

My good wishes.

All the best Jan

Rain said...

Hi Elizabeth! :) I love your hot pepper! I wish I could eat them, but I can't, they give me heartBURN...another sign of heat lol! ;) I love the colours in your hot artwork. Oh chocolate malted...we had some ice cream sodas last night, they really cooled us down! And how neat is your rusty fabric? I never thought of using rust to die fabrics! That's very cool Elizabeth!! And I can totally relate to the air conditioner need. Alex and I are wilting here lately. We only have the one a/c and we installed it in the kitchen. Problem is we have an open concept cottage and it doesn't cool very well because it was only meant to cool one room. We have 3 fans going in the back of the cottage with the windows open and the a/c in the front of the cottage. It's such a waste of energy but the only way to cool the kitchen/front room! Luckily we haven't hit the 40's yet, but it's been hovering around 33 lately.

Just to let you know, the link widget for the Thursday Art Date closes Sundays around noon, so you can still play along if you have time to do another post during the weekend!