Monday, March 2, 2020

Second on the 2nd: More Basketball


I had several things I considered using this month, like a T Tuesday second look, or a second look at the upcoming St. Patrick's Day.  Instead, I am still in basketball mode, so I'm bringing back a post from February 26, 2012.  I believe the only people who have seen this post are Dianne and Darla.  I now give you:

The basketball weekend: an ATC book 

I've had a fun three day weekend. My head has been in the clouds because I love basketball. Since this was a week I wasn't teaching my Altered Book class (see my right sidebar if you have missed any of these lessons), I decided to make other art, instead. Now I knew I would be watching TV most of the weekend, so I wasn't about to stand and watch it in my craft room (where I have one of two TVs, the other being in my office) all weekend. So I needed a small project.

It seems like I've gotten inspiration from several of my friends this week. This time it came from Dianne at Art Beneath the Cottonwoods. The project was the perfect size for TV watching.

I first printed out some photos and cropped them to ATC size. Of course, that made a few of the photos stretch a bit in one direction or another. Also, I think my color is gone in my printer, because I printed them on "best image" setting.
 
Here is one of the photos I took from the NBA All-Stars web site, and you can see how much color I lost.

Let me walk you through my weekend, as I describe it and the book made from ATC sized pages (2.5 X 3.5 inches).

On Thursday, I watched the Wheelchair Challenge. I was quite impressed with the men (yep, all men) who used their basketball skills while negotiating their wheelchairs. Says something for and about the disabled!

On Friday, I started with the All-Star Celebrity Game, which had no time outs, except for quarters and commercials. The time clock continued even when free throws were shot. It just goes to show, "Celebs" get preferential treatment.
 
Continuing on Friday night, I watched the All-Star Rising Star Challenge. I admit, I love the fast break, and this game was full of them. It was non-stop and very fast paced from beginning to end, so none of this standing around, passing the ball around the perimeter for 24 seconds like in some boring basketball games!
 
I really messed up the front, even after I scanned it the first time. I had forgotten the phrase "Got Game" I found that I made years ago using embossing powder heated on a transparency. When I went to add it to the cover, I accidentally scraped the embossed powder off. I tried to repair it using a gold ink pen, but I believe I only made it worse.

Throughout the week, there were lots of jam sessions and workshops. Here, Pau Gasol, the Lakers (yep, I'm a dyed in the wool Lakers fan) center and power forward, signs a lucky boy's jersey. I think you can read the sentiment, which I put on the left side of each page.


I began this book while watching All-STARS Saturday night. It featured Shooting Stars, the Skills Challenge, the Three-Point contest, and the Slam Dunk contest. It was fun watching the young players who will soon be famous, as they dunked the basketball. And one of the long time players, Tony Parker of the Spurs, won the Skills Challenge. It was his third appearance in this event. The first time in 2003, he took last place. Third time really IS a charm!


The left page has the only 3-D element in the book, a small puzzle piece. I didn't want this book to be too thick, although I did quite a bit of collage fodder layering. Now I'm not sure what the Lakers mascot looks like, but I can surmise it isn't one that looks like these guys on the right page. However, they were both so cute, I couldn't resist the photo, especially of the "guy" on the left with the basketball nose that looked more like a tennis ball to me.

For the women's page, even though I don't think of women basketball players as overly feminine, I wanted a page representing a softer side. Therefore, I used a bit of my leftover "love" deli paper and a sticker rose from Mrs. Grossman, along with other bits of collage fodder.
 
The left page of this two page spread represents the colors of the Lakers, yellow and purple. The boy is wearing Kobe Bryant's number on his shirt.  I found the star ticket that seemed perfect for an ALL-STAR weekend. Speaking of ALL-STAR weekend, I was watching the ALL-STAR game this (Sunday) evening when I finally finished this book and had to get it uploaded before it was too late.


Now you know why I don't like to write by hand anymore. I used to have lovely handwriting, but it has deteriorated since my mid-20s. I simply can't write small! The message reads "Magic Johnson (in background) coaches an ALL-STAR jam session on Friday, Feb. 24, 2012."
 
I used all my "E's" on the front and had to turn an extra "F" into an "E" on the back. I also used all my "2s." And even though they don't look it, the stars on both the front and back are shiny gold.

Lessons Learned:

1. The next ATC sized book I make will not have rounded corners. The corners and the outside binding were not compatible.

2. As many books as I've put together, you would think I would KNOW to leave an undecorated space for connecting the pages together. It seems I managed to cover several important bits and bobs when I added the stickers made from address labels and painted using Twinkling H20s.

3. I've often said I don't like using printed images in my ABs because I really prefer using magazine images or rubber/acrylic stamps. The color is NEVER as good as the original. I suspect some people who use their printers a lot, have fabulous printers with multiple color cartridges, or they print line art images in black, then color them in.

4. I now know I must never, never, EVER use a fine tip gold leafing pen to outline around my book pages. Larger tips will create a groove that will keep the pen from slipping, while the fine tip doesn't want to work properly. Even worse, if it did create a groove, the tip would soon be worthless.

Also, I want to thank Dianne again for the inspiration to make this small memory book of my basketball weekend. I suspect there will be more of these small books in the offing.

______________________________________________________________

I wanted to add that there is a lot of green in that project, which is a (not especially) subtle reminder to start thinking Green, Eileen's theme this month at Art Journal Journey.

Now it's time to share your own Second on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple and everyone is welcome to join the fun look back.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or perhaps one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  Any post, any genre, any artistic endeavor is acceptable.  Then link below (direct links only, please) and Bleubeard and I, along with other Second on the 2nd friends, will be by to visit.  Please be aware this link is only open for five days, so linking on the 2nd is preferred. 

If your Second on the 2nd and your T Tuesday post are the same, please add/link it both places.


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

20 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

:-) Now I understand how people read my Americak Football posts!
I am full of YAY and other says "why?" - I am so glad we all are individuals and can learn from each other!
(Guess I said it before, the Braunschweig Basketball team do their training "around the corner" here and I "meet" these very, very, very tall guys sometimes. Maybe they don´t see me "down therer", though ;-)
Kidding, all nice guys!

And yes. I think I would give up if I was "bound" to a wheelchair, I hope I never have to find out. Respect to them.

I will add a link. It was a 13th, and you made me look for one, I hope it´s OK it´s not a 2nd.
If you have a lille look there: Only one of my Ts is left in my life... But the others are still here "in the West" and East and West still do exist.

Valerie-Jael said...

You made a lovely little book to remember a great-for-you weekend. Have a good start to the week, Valerie

Lisca said...

Wow, that was 8 years a<go. I wonder if the 'hope-fulls' from that year have really become accomplished basketball players.
Basketball is quite popular here in Spain and on a European level, I have been told, The national team is good.
I am ashamed to say, I have never watched a basketball game, although I know roughly what it is about. (throw the ball through the net of the other team).
Yes, we always learn from our mistakes.
Thanks for sharing your great little book,
See you tomorrow,
Lisca

aussie aNNie said...

Lovely book of memories.xx

My name is Erika. said...

It is lots of fun to see this altered book as I had not seen it before. It looks like a really fun project. And a good thing to do while you celebrate the all star games. Do you get into March Madness? This is surely basketball season. Glad you shared this Elizabeth. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Cool album and detail. Your passion for your favorite sport and art shine through.

Barbara said...

Beautiful and thoughtful work, Elizabeth! I’m not a big sports fan, especially not basketball because it moves so fast, but admittedly I’ve never taken the time to understand the game. My son became a big fan after being hired to photograph games in a youth league. Thanks for visiting my blog, Elizabeth!

kathyinozarks said...

I am happy you shared this one-a very fun project while watching the games-love those atc's hugs

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I didn't see this the first time, so I'm glad you posted it again. I like the ATC book you created. I thought the rounded edges seemed okay, even though you said they weren't compatible with the outer book cover.

Sami said...

My kids used to play basketball when they were young.
You managed to do a lot while watching the game on tv.
My handwriting seems to be worse than yours! I too used to have a nice handwriting but then I had to start writing faster for work and it started getting worse and worse. Now I prefer to type up everything, otherwise in a couple of days I won't know what I wrote, lol.

Darla said...

What fun to see this book. I like all the things you listed for making another one in the future. Small books can be full of fun ideas can't they?

DVArtist said...

Wow this is such and exciting post. I can feel how much you are into basketball. The photos are fabulous and how you put them all together, well just wonderful.

Divers and Sundry said...

What a wonderful way to keep those memories :) I like basketball, and we have 2 teams here in Memphis I root for. I'm not the fan you are, though!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Looks like you've been having a good time. Happy crafty week, Angela xXx

Lowcarb team member said...

You made a lovely book filled with special memories :)

All the best Jan

Karen said...

This is a terrific little memory book! Good that you roll with the punches and focus on what you like and learn to let go of what you don't about your projects :) -I'll have to post for the 2nd ~ sounds like fun! Enjoy your day ~

Susan Kane said...

I had a co-teacher who was absolutely focused on March Madness. So much so that he slacked off on teaching.

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a great idea and a super little book to celebrate your 'sporty' weekend! Chrisxx

Jeanie said...

Your pages are really fun but what really got me was your excellent tips at the end. We can all learn from those!

Dianne said...

Wow, a real blast from the past! I had completely forgotten about that ATC book, although I know it's still here somewhere...yours turned out great! Don't fret about your handwriting or smears, makes it more YOU and authentic. Love it!! You are always so honest about what you perceive as problems so that others can learn from it. That's what makes you such a god blogger and host. Hugs!❤️