Sunday, September 15, 2019

Monday Murals


I am once again joining Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals.  I've decided to post at my regular time, but please be aware that Sami's mural linky won't go live until 11:00 a.m. my time (please see the clock on my right sidebar).

In my town (Wichita, KS, USA), there is a wall that separates the city north to south for several miles.  It separates neighborhoods, shopping districts, and streets.  It was built as an overpass for trains that often held up traffic on these busy streets for longer than was allowed.  There are pros and cons to this wall, but regardless how Wichitans felt about it, they paid for it to be built.

One day while the young people who were visiting me from California and I were driving under this bridge, they spotted the murals that were painted on both sides.

This is an incredibly busy street, partly because it is one of only three that go through east to west.  In order to take these photos, I had to pull into this side street.

It was also before I started actively looking for the name of the artist on the murals.

This reminds me of the slab of Berlin Wall I saw at the museum recently with its cold concrete.  If Trump wants to know how to build a wall, he should see this one

who's only function is to divert trains above the roadway.  I asked the youngsters to not cross the street, since the speed limit was 40 mph and the cars never stopped whizzing by.  As you can see, there is only a stop sign on the cross street, so it would have been dangerous for us to try to cross on foot to the other side of the street.

I can't tell you who the artist or artists are who created these, but they certainly draw your attention to them as you whiz by under this bridge on one of only three through streets in Wichita, KS (USA).

If you enjoy murals and want to see them from around the world, please visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World.
 

24 thoughtful remarks:

aussie aNNie said...

This is so fabulous, wouldn't it be great to do art like this.xx

Valerie-Jael said...

The murals are wonderful, and bring joy to the huge, grey walls. Art can beautify even dull concrete. Have a great Sunday, the sun is shining here again. Valerie

Barbara said...

Stunning art as well as a valuable sentiment!

Words and Pictures said...

Another amazing mural... I think it's ironic how the message of the mural is about togetherness, when it's painted on a wall, the very symbol of divisiveness - clever double-think!
Alison x

Mia said...

I always love mural art, Elizabeth. Thank you for sharing this masterpiece. Kisses!

CJ Kennedy said...

The togetherness mural so beautiful and powerful.

Nancy said...

Very eye-catching! I'm curious why the train crossing sign is still there. Just so there are no suprises when you look up?

My name is Erika. said...

I guess maybe there is a good use for walls, but even then, they do seperate people, don't they? I love this mural though. It does make the plain old cement look so much better! The one across the road looks like it is pretty cool also. The colors really pop! Happy Sunday. Enjoy. Hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

"Stronger Together" is an interesting statement on that wall. I approve of taking the trains over (or under) traffic, but I think there must be a better, more open, way of accomplishing that. Pedestrians should get more consideration :( Streets are for everybody.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great looking murals.

Tom said...

...stronger together, amen.

Amy said...

I love them, I think every piece of concrete should be painted colourfully.

Rita said...

How lovely and inspirational! :)

Bertiebo said...

Yes... stronger together. That's it

froebelsternchen said...

Inspirational art - wow! Great!
Happy new week Elizabeth!
Susi xxx

Iris Flavia said...

"Stronger Together" is a great saying, especially when you need a wall!
Much to think about this one. It reminds me of the Aboriginal Australians as well, of all that I´ve seen, progress and no progress at all...

We have a piece of the Berlin Wall on our Europaplatz.
I remember when we traveled to West Berlin and were advised to wait till the East Berlin officers signed us to come near, otherwise they check your whole car for over an hour...
And later all my three T´s were my teamleader, all three from former GDR. Too crazy to seperate people like that! Ingo´s side of the family fled Dresden in WWII just in time and came to the West, otherwise we might´ve never met (in time).

And Trump... oh, well! Oh, well....

Sami said...

Beautiful mural and great message Elizabeth. What a pity there has to be a wall dividing the city and not much consideration for pedestrians either.
Thanks for participating and have a lovely day.

Jackie McGuinness said...

Outstanding murals.
I am so sick of drivers believing the streets belong to them and never thinking of pedestrians.

Meggymay said...

Wow, they are awesome wall murals, I hope folk do take the time to slow down or stop to take a closer look at this art.
Tvonne xx

RedPat said...

These are wonderful pieces! Thanks for braving the traffic!

magiceye said...

Beautiful murals, well captured.

Jeanie said...

I especially love the Stronger Together mural. Boy, I know that traffic thing! Kudos to you for staying the course!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

the murals are amazing; VERY talented artist{s} ...thanx for sharing !! :) ☺☺♥♥

Caty said...

These murals are really Gorgeous Elizabeth !! Love the colours, and love this quote !! so real.
Have a nice afternoon, and big hugssss
Caty