Friday, September 6, 2019

Friday Smiles 337: a final trip to the Museum of World Treasures


It's Friday and time once again to join Annie (at A Stitch in Time) and the ladies at Friday Smiles.  Although it took over 11 months to go through the Museum of World Treasures, I bet you're happy we have finally seen everything on the second floor.  Now for this group of funnies I found when cleaning my office last year.


Occasionally, airline attendants make an effort to make the in-flight safety lecture and their other announcements a bit more entertaining. Here are some real examples that have been heard and/or reported:
 
“There may be 50 ways to leave your lover, but there are only 4 ways out of this airplane.”

As the plane landed and was coming to a stop at Washington National, a lone voice came over the loudspeaker: “Whoa, big fellas. WHOA!”

After a particularly rough landing during thunderstorms in Memphis, a flight attendant on a Northwest flight announced: “Please take care when opening the overhead compartments because, after a landing like that, sure as hell everything has shifted.”

“Weather at our destinations is 50 degrees with some broken clouds, but we’ll try to have them fixed before we arrive.  Thank you and remember, nobody loves you, or your money, more than Southwest Airlines.”

“Your seat cushions can be used for flotation, and in the event of an emergency water landing, please take them with our compliments.”

Once on a Southwest flight, the pilot said, “We’ve reached our cruising altitude now, and I’m turning off the seat belt sign. I’m switching to autopilot, too, so I can come back there and visit with all of you for the rest of the flight.”

“Should the cabin lose pressure, oxygen masks will drop from the overhead area. Please place the bag over your own mouth and nose before assisting children or adults acting like children.”

“As you exit the plane, make sure to gather all of your belongings. Anything left behind will be distributed evenly among the flight attendants. Please do not leave children or spouses.”

“Last one off the plane has to clean it.”

Heard on Southwest Airlines just after a very hard landing in Salt Lake City. The flight attendant came on the intercom and said, “That was quite a bump and I know what ya’ll are thinking. I’m here to tell you it wasn’t the airline’s fault, and it wasn’t the pilot’s fault, it wasn’t the flight attendant’s fault. It was the asphalt!”

Another flight attendant's comment on a less than perfect landing, “We ask you to please remain seated as Captain Kangaroo bounces us to the terminal.”

After a real crusher of a landing in Phoenix, the flight attendant came on with, “Ladies and gentlemen, please remain in your seats until Captain Crash and the Crew have brought the aircraft to a screeching halt against the gate. And once the tire smoke has cleared and the warning bells are silenced, we’ll open the door and you can pick your way through the wreckage to the terminal.”

Part of a flight attendant’s arrival announcement, “We’d like to thank you folks for flying with us today. And, the next time you get the insane urge to go blasting through the skies in a pressurized metal tube, we hope you’ll think of us here at US Airways.”

And from the pilot during his welcome message, “We are pleased to have some of the best flight attendants in the industry. Unfortunately, none of them are on this flight.”


Last week my friend Valerie said she didn't like war museums.  This was not a war museum, but a museum that houses many treasures from around the world, including artifacts of wars.  Unfortunately we often refuse to admit what we have learned from past wars, and because this museum is so HUGE, that floor was where I spent all my time.  However, as Sally and I were about to leave, I took a few photos from the first floor.

One of their draws was this display of dinosaurs found all over the world.   The Tyrannosaurus-rex may have been the biggest draw for the children.

Why they chose to spotlight them with this horrible pink/purple light is beyond me.

I never miss this display, a section of the Berlin Wall.  At 11 feet (3,35 meters) tall, this cold piece of solid concrete was a symbol of the Cold War.

It is so massive, I was unable to get it all in one photo.  It's obvious this is the West Berlin side

and this is the East Berlin side, where guards stood watch so people didn't try to escape to the west.

According to the web site:
The Berlin Wall divided East and West Berlin from 1961 to 1989, completely barring West Berlin from East Berlin and surrounding East Germany. This wall forced families apart, and stood as a constant reminder of the political strife in Germany. Its demolition started in 1990 and took two years to complete.  
The sign on the right, written in several languages, explains that you are now entering the American Sector and carrying weapons while off duty is forbidden.  You are also warned to obey traffic rules.

The sign on the left, also written in several languages, denotes that you are now leaving the American Sector.  Unfortunately, I couldn't read the other information that included photos.

This display of military and camouflage equipment was from the DDR, which was part of the Eastern Bloc from 1949 to 1990 during the Cold War. 

The final display was about how one day families who woke up on one side of Berlin were cut off from family on the other side.  The general consensus was the wall was mainly a means of preventing the citizens of East Germany from fleeing to West Berlin.  As a rule, the border was only closed for citizens of East Germany traveling to the West, but not for residents of West Berlin traveling to the East.

These truly ARE the final images I have for this museum.  As you can see, there were lots more things that could have been seen had I not concentrated on the various wars on the 2nd floor.

22 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

I still don't like war museums. I grew up after the war in a burnt, blackened and flattened London, in cramped and hard conditions. Most of the family of my mother had been eradicated in concentration camps. The few survivors were shocked, stunned, angry, and hard to live with. Here In Germany I lived with the Berlin wall for many years before it fell. I don't need to be reminded of war - I can't ever forget its effects. Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

I love the funnies and I like the artefacts of the museum you showed today.
It's good to never forget that war is crime. That's such an important thing, we have to be remembered and the generations have to learn about it. You do well to show us the exhibits Elizabeth and if one does like this he must not look at it.
I can imagine that the older generations have their wounds. I am always so greatful and proud to be part of the generation where the wall was demolated. So happy that here, I live on the border to Cech Republik , we can be together now in such a wonderful way.
Happy start of the weekend Elizabeth!
Susi xxx
Susi xxx

My name is Erika. said...

Those T rexes would be my pick. I agree about the lights though. In North Dakota we visited a dinosaur museum which was really cool. (I think I mentioned that before, perhaps.) I enjoyed the views and if you ever go back and visit some other exhibits, I hope you share them with us also. Happy Friday and happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

aussie aNNie said...

goodness those colours are absolutely fabulous, purple pink, love it.x

CJ Kennedy said...

I visited Germany on a school trip in 1973. We had a long bus ride from Munich to Berlin. Crossing the East German border was scary as armed Russian soldiers came on board the tour bus to check passports. Berlin was a vibrant city. We got to visit East Berlin and crossed through Checkpoint Charlie, the American sector. A lot of the buildings in a sort of no man's land were still bombed out rubble. East Berlin was drab in comparison. We were forced to spend a small amount of money. Seeing the wall, being there, made me realize how very lucky I and my classmates were to live in our country.

Annie said...

Your funnies were great today Elizabeth. It is a shame about the lights on the dinosaurs because it makes them look more like aliens that real animals but wow what a display. Never forget that we are all different Elizabeth [it wouldn't do for us all to be the same] and what one will like another wont but it's important that you share the things that make you smile.
Hugs,
Annie x

Sami said...

Enjoyed your funnies and the last photos of the Museum.
We lived in Germany for about 6 years in the 80's, about 60km to the Checkpoint Charlie border. It was always scary crossing to the other side to go to Berlin.
The day we flew out of Germany back to South Africa, we were midway there when the pilot announced the wall had fallen. Everybody cheered and I can still vividly remember that moment.

Jeanie said...

In that first photo, for a minute I thought it was a Chihuly! The dinos are so beautifully lit and the skeletons so artfully arranged.

I agree -- we must never, ever forget the horrors of war. All wars, really, but those of WWII seem to be at the front of my mind these days with the return of nationalism around the world. I'm glad to be reminded.

mamapez5 said...

You seem to have an endless supply of funnies. I guess we keep making more gaffs like this. They always make me smile.
I shall never forget the war and its aftermath, but I still can't get excited about a whole museum of reminders. However, some of it is very interesting, and you have given us a real insight into it. Kate xx

kathyinozarks said...

This was quite the museum so I am happy you have shared it with us. we don't get the opportunity any more to visit museums since we live so rural. and too much walking any more for Hubs.
I agree those purple lights are a bit much for the dinosours would have been better with no lights haha
I think we need to be reminded of our wars through out history and what everyone had to endure-perhaps it may change our outlook for preventing another war.
Happy Friday Kathy

Divers and Sundry said...

We do need to make sure the history of our conflicts doesn't get lost. The people who lived through these times (my parents during WW2 and me during the Vietnam war era) may not need to see these displays or watch the tv shows, but now that we have actual Nazis among us we need to make sure our children know and never forget.

The dinosaur display is colorful lol I wonder what that meeting was like. Who would've thought the answer to "And what color lights should we use to highlight the dinosaurs?" would be pink and purple? lol!

Let's Art Journal said...

Thanks for the smiles! I love your museum tour today and the lighting on those dinosaurs looks amazing 😁. Happy Friday and Weekend! Hugs, Jo x

da tabbies o trout towne said...

thanx for sharing Elizabeth; and I wondered myself about the
purple blue on the dino's; maybe because it "draws" the eye to that particular exhibit !??

hope bleu N squiggles are great !! ☺☺♥♥

Birgit said...

I read Valerie's comment and my heart goes out to her for all the experiences she has endured. My mom was German, living in Wittenberg and she endured the war and even fought for the resistance but she never cared for war films, documentaries or museums because she saw it first hand. This shows how blessed we are. The Berlin wall was and is such an emblem for the cold war and freedom-the fight for it and the taking away of it. Unfortunately, so many kids today don't even know about it. If you want a great film, that you will have to viw on Youtube, is called The Man Between starring James Mason and Claire bloom which is filmed in Berlin in the early 1950's. It is all about intrigues, spies and a love story to boot but intelligently done. Well worth seeing. On a lighter note, I laughed at many of these true airline stories...I needed a laugh today. I have no idea why the T-Rex are in pink and purples..maybe they just saw La Cage Aux Folles??

sheila 77 said...

Hello Elizabeth, I am always interested in the photos you show us of places, museums, gardens, cafes etc. which I will never see in real life. This is one of the wonders of this Blogland we inhabit along with our Real Life.
Curators in museums and art galleries can do some inexplicable things - at least it got us talking about the dinosaurs! - which maybe was the intention here.
Love from Sheila

Sharon Madson said...

Thanks for the smiles, Elizabeth!

Lisca said...

You had me chuckling with the flight funnies!
Oh my, pink and purple dinosaurs! It wouldn't have been my choice of colour.
The section of Berlin wall is interesting to see. It is recent history and I also remember where i was when I heard the news of its fall. I too cheered.
Thank you for sharing these museum photos (all of them), I found them very interesting.
Lisca

Meggymay said...

I enjoyed today's smiles Elizabeth, you must have has so many stored, I am so pleased you are sharing them with us.
Thank you as well for sharing all the photos over the past weeks of your visit to the museum.
Many of us have memories of war and how it effects peoples lives. If it is not spoken about, recorded and visual images displayed the tragedy and long lasting effects of war cannot be explained to our future generations.
Yvonne xx

Rita said...

Makes me scared to fly--LOL!
My mom and dad went on a vacation through Europe right after the Berlin wall came down. Dad brought me home a little chunk of the Berlin wall with a flat part and some paint on it. He said he had to search and search for a piece that had some of the outside graffiti on it because it had been so picked over. I still have it. :)

Caty said...

I laughed a lot with your funnies Elizabeth !! And, really these dinosaurs are scary with these colours.
Thank you very much for sharing your visit to the museum with us.
I hate wars, and I wonder if we will be able to live together in peace one day, and avoid so much suffering and so much misfortune. I hope we get it.
I wish you a happy afternoon and a very nice Sunday.
Sending.... big hugsssss
Caty

Marfi-topia said...

those were pretty good,lol!
thanks for the pics from the museum:)

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I've enjoyed all of your photos from the museum Elizabeth. I agree that the lighting on the dinosaurs is a poor choice of colors. (Why color them at all?) I didn't know pieces of the Berlin Wall had been distributed to museums. Thank you for sharing the historical information about it.