Saturday, September 14, 2019

Hodge Podge


Last year, many of you tuned in every Monday to see my 365 somethings, those 4 inch square collages I made every day for a year.  These things have languished for months and months while I tried to find a way to use a few of them in my art.  Today I have done just that.  I call it Hodge Podge for lack of a better title.

I'm joining three of my favorite challenges today.   I'm joining Erika, aka Bio Art Gal, our host this month at Art Journal Journey with her themes polka dots, stripes, plaids, and patterns.  I think I've got everything covered except plaids.

I'm also joining Try it on Tuesday, where their current theme is Boys/Girls/Children.

And finally, I'm joining Moo-Mania and More with their current theme Use a stamp.  Granted, you will find three squares I chose that have stamped images on them (two with matching butterflies and one with a lion), but I felt that would be cheating, so I added this collage butterfly stamp I used a few days ago that was gifted me by Valerie

I sewed everything together, but had a terrible time doing so. 

It was hard enough to position everything in place, but when I had to fight my thread breaking every few minutes, it was more than I could take.  I finally gave up and returned to the project the next day when I wasn't so frustrated.

This is my addition so I could join Try it on Tuesday.

And the random patterns, lines, and dots fulfill my Art Journal Journey commitment.

I rotated the page so you could see it from a different angle.

I started with a sheet of 12 X 12 inch (30,48 centimeter) card stock.  I measured the center lines and the centers from point to point.  When I found that center point, I sewed the first square (with the sentiment) in place.  Five squares were sewn whole to the substrate.  I then cut four squares in half (although I did a better job on some than others) and sewed them to the substrate using variegated thread.  When everything was in place, I glued the paper doll in place and stamped the butterfly three places using black pigment ink.

I can't say I had fun making this, because it came together better in my head than it did on paper.  However, even after the sewing problems, I was quite pleased with the final results.  Thanks for stopping by and seeing this journal entry I created for you today.  Also, please join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey, Try it on Tuesday, and Moo-Mania and More, too.  Looks like I'm in under the wire on these fortnightly challenges.  And of course, I'm always grateful for you comments.

26 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful page. I know those breaking thread frustrations! But it turned out great in the end, and was a good use of all those little pieces. Lovely colours, too. Have a great da, Valerie

Trillian As said...

I love your page. It is has so nice colors. After your fight with the sewing it turned out really beautiful.

CJ Kennedy said...

Fabulous "quilt". Glad you were able to get your sewing machine to cooperate.

Barbara said...

I love this, especially the saying in the middle! I'm surely mature, but excellence? May never see that! Lol.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I like this hodge podge. Great combinations of colors.

Mia said...

Gorgeous page, Elizabeth! Wow! You mixed up so many different things. And the result is stunning! "Quilting" is always hard but I am glad you did it. I simply ADORE this creation, my friend. Very creative. Kisses!!!!!!!

Iris Flavia said...

Sadly teachers really made sewing bitter for me.
My hubby can do it, though.
Great job, beautiful work you did! Also for not giving up :-)

froebelsternchen said...

Not just you are pleased with the finsihed page -
I am pleased as well and Moo Mania & More,Try It On Tuesday and Art Journal Journey are pleased also!
Thank you for all the support to the three challenges Elizabeth!
I can imagine how much hard work it was to sew this all in such an acurate way! You did a masterjob and specially fab as you had troubles with the needle!

GORGEOUS!!!
What a fantastic use of the little artpieces ! Fntastuc idea!

Happy Saturday!
Big hugs
Susi

Nancy said...

What a great idea! I can certainly relate to things coming together better in my vision than in production. It's coincidental, but I just pulled out a tote bag of assorted quilt blocks that I'm joining together in a "sampler of sample blocks." It's a long way from finished, but started counts!

Divers and Sundry said...

You found a great way to use those little pieces! I think it turned out wonderfully, and I can't help but feel your thread frustration has clouded your ability to appreciate what you created here. Sweet!

Words and Pictures said...

I love your bold, vibrant hodge podge! What a wonderful way to bring some of those wonderful creative squares together. I can see why you are pleased with it, and you should be. If we waited for everything to be as we imagine it in our heads, we'd never get anything done!
Alison x

craftytrog said...

A wonderful way to use some of your collages Elizabeth! I love your page!

Jeanie said...

I should think you would be pleased with the final results. It's really terrific and a great way to incorporate your smaller collages into one larger piece. I appreciated the info on how you actually put it together, too.

Cindy McMath said...

This is fabulous Elizabeth! A wonderful paper quilt. Sorry it was a pain to do, but the results seem worth it!

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what an amazing page! I love how you used the collages, it's such a clever design and you joined them together beautifully 😁. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at
Try it on Tuesday! Happy weekend! Hugs, Jo x

Sharon Madson said...

Beautiful artwork, Elizabeth! The problems you had with sewing is why I don’t sew! Recently, I was going to sew on a project, and the thread broke. I can’t seem to get it threaded again! So, that’s that!. LOL

Sandra Cox said...

What a grand page. Wouldn't that pattern make a fantastic quilt?
Enjoy the weekend, dear Elizabeth.

My name is Erika. said...

Wow, you took my breath away today Elizabeth. This is just gorgeous. What a great way to use some of your 4 inch squares. I love all the textures, colors and patterns. Thanks so much for sharing this remarkable piece and even bigger thanks for joining up at Art Journal Journey. Happy rest of your weekend too. Hugs-Erika

Powdered Toast Man said...

I love the phrase Hodge Podge. It can mean so many things.

new follower.

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful and colourful, love this...xx

Cath Wilson said...

What a wonderful patchwork effect, Elisabeth. I love the combinations of colour and pattern, broken up with inspirational words. It's just beautiful and an excellent way of showcasing your daily art.
Cath x

Meggymay said...

A fabulous way to display and use your 4inch squares. It must have taken you hours to piece this together and to add the extra details.
I am so pleased that you linked up with us at Try it on Tuesdays and for all the suppor you give us there when you share your art.
Yvonne xx

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous patchwork piece Elizabeth, and it's a great way of using those 4" squares of art. I'm so pleased you didn't give up on the idea as the end result is so appealing, and you should be thrilled with it. I like the central quote you used, it really draws the eye in.
Thank for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesday,
Avril xx

Aimeslee Winans said...

Hi Elizabeth, oh I do like this page very much! What a brilliant idea. I so relate to what you said about it being a better idea in your head, though. Happens to me probably half the time. I'm so thankful I'm not one of these artists who throw stuff in the trash the second they make a boo boo. I'd never have any art done at all! lolol So kudos for your sticking with it and giving it a sleep when it got overwhelmingly frustrating. I love how pleasantly better things look the next day, don't you? <3 xoxox

Neet said...

This is beautiful Elizabeth, from the first to the last square. I can feel your frustration at the thread breaking, how annoying but it happens tome too. However, it did not stop you getting there in the end and the end was simply beautiful.
Hugs, Neet xxx

Caty said...

Wowww this is a super Fantastic Art page Elizabeth !! I looove the patchwork result, Amazing !! The colours are wonderful, and I love the butterfly´ stamp, and the details you have added, simply Fantastic!
I wish you a very nice afternoon, and send big hugs,
Caty