Sunday, September 1, 2019

Bring back saddle shoes and argyle socks


It's the first of the month and we have a new host at Art Journal Journey.  Please welcome Erika, aka Bio Art Gal, our host this entire month with her themes plaid, stripes, polka dots, and patterns.  She gives us lots of choices and I look forward to joining her this month.

As the title suggests, I want to bring back saddle shoes and argyle socks

It's always great when I can start with a pre-made background, especially one that fits the theme so perfectly.

A little sewing never hurts, since I printed the image on printer/copier paper.

For this page, I started with a sheet of 12 X 12 inch square scrapbook paper that I cut to 8.5 X 11 inch size after creating a tag for Tag Tuesday last month.  I found this image in my stash, so I sized it and sewed it to the background.  I also printed the sentiment and sewed it using variegated thread.

Thanks for joining Bleubeard and me today.  I hope you will join Erika, Susi, Bleubeard, and me this month at Art Journal Journey with your own art inspired by plaid, stripes, polka dots, and patterns.  Please be aware, we want to see your altered book pages, journal pages, loose journal art, canvases, fabric pages, and digital art.  However, we cannot accept cards, ATCs, ATCoins, tags, or 3-D art, and will be forced to delete your entry.

25 thoughtful remarks:

froebelsternchen said...

Love the title and page! And specially your sewing makes the pages always so beautiful. No exception here. The scrapbookpaper fits so well. Happy Sunday, happy September, happy AJJ!
Susi xxx

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful page Elizabeth, love the sewing. Have a great September! Valerie

craftytrog said...

Great page Elizabeth! I've no idea what saddle shoes are, but I love a pair of colourful argyle socks.
Alison xx

WendyK said...

Great page, love the sewing. Those shoes look very heavy to wear and I have never heard of saddle shoes. Have a good September, hugs Wendy.

Meggymay said...

Its a fabulous background and a great inspiring page.
Is 'Saddle' a style of shoe? They look very smart.
I remember well wearing argyle socks, thank you for reminding me about them.
Have a good Sunday.
Yvonne xx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Lovely art journal page Elizabeth.

Mia said...

Beautiful page, Elizabeth! Kisses, my friend. I am back from vacation.

Barbara said...

Great memories of those days! We not only wore saddle shoes and argyle socks, we also knitted them in miniature to hang off rear view car mirrors. I’d guess not many teens these days spend time knitting with so many electronics keeping their hands busy. Ahhh, peaceful memories!

My name is Erika. said...

The argyle paper is amazing. I wish argyle sweaters were back in style. Maybe not obbie socks and saddle shoes. (smile). This is the perfect page to start the month with. And certainly not plain as you mentioned in the comment you left on my page. Enjoy your Sunday. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Cool to have background paper to match the theme. I love saddle shoes. I love argyle, too, but don't think I've seen the pattern in the brights of your background.

Cindy McMath said...

This is s a great page! I love the image and the argyle background is perfect. Your stitching gives it texture.

Divers and Sundry said...

I did have saddle oxfords, but I missed out on argyle socks :) It's interesting to see art incorporating images from our recent past. Fun!

Jeanie said...

This one is just plain fun! (I regret that I remember saddle shoes -- not the best look of all time!). Love the argyle background.

Marfi-topia said...

just love how this turned out. I admire the sewing you do on these lovely masterpieces so much!!

Dortesjs said...

hello hello, long time since, great page this, but also your monthly calender for august was fine, you´vv been busy ;O))

Sandra Cox said...

Saddle shoes take me back:) And that argyle background...purrfect.

Sharon Madson said...

Love this, Elizabeth! It is like a scrapbook page! Happy Labor Day week-end! :)

Rita said...

I had saddle shoes like the girl on the left but no argyle socks. We wore them with white socks like these girls. Loved loafers. too, like the other two girls have on and put pennies in them. :)

aussie aNNie said...

Very cute.x

Lowcarb team member said...

That's a great page, and I do like the sewing :)

All the best Jan

Aimeslee Winans said...

Hi, Elizabeth. I like your journal page a lot. That argyle patterned paper is bursting with colors and complements the bnw photo of bobby soxers well. I was on the tale end of the sock-wearing thing in junior high. Panty hose, fishnet hose completely changed those habits. Then I think bell-bottoms changed it all again. A lifetime ago. And it was, lol. Have a great week! xoxo

Neet said...

Argyle socks! As soon as I saw your entry i thought of golf. It just reminded me of the jumpers or do you call them sweaters?) and socks that golfers wore. Still very popular in some shops over here, especially in Wales and Scotland, you can see this pattern in many colour combos.
Great page, great photo, great idea.
Hugs to you and Bleubeard (ad Squiggles) xxx
Neet

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Great page and interpretation of the patterns theme!

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love this Elizabeth! My Dad used to wear Argyle patterned jumpers! Chrisx

Birgit said...

love your page and the old picture. They were the young teens who followed heartthrob Fran Sinatra...the bobbysoxers