Saturday, July 27, 2019

Heading to Tuscany, part 1


Today I'm joining Chris at Pear Shaped Crafting, our host this month at Art Journal Journey with her theme We're all/going.  And because Try it on Tuesday's fortnightly theme is Splatters and Splodges, I'm once again joining their challenge, too.

It seems today we are going to Tuscany.  I had hoped to have the other side finished, but that didn't happen. 

Tuscany is not a town, but a region made up of many towns.  It is located in central Italy.

I was lucky to find this same image in two different travel brochures.

After lots of careful reading and studying, I believe this is Vernazza, one of the five towns in the Cinque Terre region.  Most notable are the Doria Castle seen on the right in both photos, which was built to watch for and protect against pirates, and the Church of Santa Margherita d'Antiochia, the tall yellow steeple seen best on the left in the top image, and less easily in the bottom image.

The distinctive landscape is more evident inland than on the coast.

We'll see that landscape tomorrow in part 2 of our visit to Tuscany.

I began this spread splattering blue handmade shimmering mist on a sheet of 9 X 12 inch black construction paper.  Once the splatters were dry, I added the two focal images I found in two different travel brochures, and five strips of blue washi tape.  Computer generated words were colored using a water soluble crayon.

Thank you for joining me today.  I also hope you will join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey as well as Try it on Tuesday.


20 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful journal page, looks a great place to visit. It's starting to cool down outside, but my apartment is still like a sauna! Have a great weekend, Valerie

Cath Wilson said...

One of the places I really would love to visit, Elisabeth... along with Pompeii! You show it at its best...love your armchair wanderings. Thank you for sharing it with Try it on Tuesday.
Cath x

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Another lovely travel art journal page Elizabeth. I like how the buildings are different colors. It looks like a beautiful place to visit.

RO said...

Tuscany is one of those beautiful places I'd love to visit to experience the joy of the food and architecture. You've done a great job taking us to explore. Hugs, RO

Sami said...

That's a pretty place and pretty journal page.
Have a lovely weekend Elizabeth.

Rosie said...

A wonderful journal page.

Thank you for joining us at TRY IT ON TUESDAY.

Have a wonderful weekend

My name is Erika. said...

Oh Italy! Let me go pack my bag. I love the splatters i the background again-thanks again for supporting us at Try It On Tuesday! The handmade shimmering mist works so well on the black paper. And nice photos too. Not what I think of when I think of Tuscany which makes it so much better as it is a surprise. Hope its going to be a good weekend. hugs-Erika

Cindy McMath said...

Oh what beautiful colours! I have been to Venice, but not Tuscany. I love the shimmering mists on the black paper - so pretty! Lovely page. Your travel pages always make me want to get on a plane. Xo

Divers and Sundry said...

What an interesting view with all the different colored buildings!

Sandra said...

Sun drenched and beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend, dear Elizabeth.

Joan said...

Lovely pages of a beautiful place



Thanks for joining in at TIOT

Joan

Rita said...

The colorful buildings and the ble water--what a gorgeous place that would be to visit! ::)

froebelsternchen said...

Tuscany is a wonderful place and your page is a delightful tribute to it and a gorgeous entry to AJJ as well as to Try it on Tuesday!♡♡♡♡♡ Thank you beyond belief for supporting the challenges in such a fantastic way! Happy Sunday! Susi xxx

CJ Kennedy said...

Looks like a lovely place to visit.

Meggymay said...

I am really on a catch up and didn't realise I'd missed the fist stages of the Tuscany visit. The pages just look so inviting , for sure they have the 'wish you were here' factor.
Thank you for sharing with us at TioT's Elizabeth, a super spread for the theme.
Yvonne xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a delight this page is! You really are lucky to find those two images of the same area! It looks such lovely area! I love how the shimmering mist makes such brilliant spatters! Thank you so much for sharing your page at Try It On Tuesday and also for another page for Art Journal Journey! I will gladly head to Tuscany with you dear Elizabeth! Chrisx

Words and Pictures said...

Wow - those rainbow-coloured houses are amazing, well worth celebrating on this lovely page. I've been to Tuscany a couple of times, but up in the mountains, not at the coast. That's definitely a place for the travel wishlist!
Alison x

Lowcarb team member said...

This is just fabulous, a lovely place indeed.

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

Tuscany is on my bucket list. You catch the warmth and beauty of what I imagine it to be.

Mrs.B said...

Another wonderful travel page Elizabeth. Tuscany is high on my wish list and the images you used look fabulous against the black splattered background.
Thanks for sharing these with us at Try it on Tuesday.
Avril xx