Friday, July 26, 2019

Friday Smiles 331: Back to the Nifty Nut House


Before we begin today, next Friday is the 2nd of the month and I will be hosting Second on the 2nd.  Therefore I must miss Friday Smiles.

It's Friday and time to join Annie (at A Stitch in Time) and the ladies at Friday Smiles. Today we are headed back to the Nifty Nut House, the very same place I went the first time I joined Friday Smiles.  This is the post I originally planned for last week.

This mural was a big hit.

You can't help but smile when you see this crazy, zany, nutty example of what you are going to find inside.  I hope they don't get rid of it, since they have now moved.

They didn't move far, though.  Just to the back of the original building.  I really wish I'd gotten a photo of the crazy, nutty mural right inside the store, but I missed it until I removed photos from my camera.

It was also ironic I missed the flowers 

and the flag of Wichita on the outside of the building.

This extension was built about a year ago, and they have now moved their store to this new and much larger building.

Of course management brought the photo-op sign when they moved.  I had so much fun taking pictures of each of the children taking turns being the tree, the nut, and the squirrel.

It was wonderful seeing how happy these children were.  To think how different their lives are two years after the death of their mother.  They have gotten some extremely good counseling and have a fabulous support system.

Talk about kids in a candy store! 

They insisted they each had money and wanted to spend some.

For a week day afternoon, this was a very busy place.

There certainly were lots of choices.

Of course, I liked to look up

and see the various gum ball machines that were available.  I'd sure hate to have to clean them.  I have enough trouble cleaning the one I own.


Besides all the packaged candies and loose candies in dispensers, there were nuts.



Lots and lots and LOTS of nuts.

They also sold handmade fudge they made fresh daily.

This was almost 1/2 lb.  At $9.50/lb (USD), I splurged.  Of course, I also cut it in quarters so we each had some.  I bought chocolate cheesecake.  Next time, I'll buy just chocolate.  It was SO good.

Thanks for joining the children and me at Nifty Nut House in their new facility.  And please don't forget to start your weekend off right by visiting Annie for a few Friday Smiles.  We would love to have you join us, too.


20 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

That's a fun place you visited, glad the kids had fun. The fudge looks very good and very dangerous, yummy! Have a good Friday. It's another scorching day here, so have to try to get through it somehow. Valerie

Helen said...

looks a lot of fun was had by all!

froebelsternchen said...

A fabulous place and great that all had so much fun, including yumminess pure.
Happy Friday dear Co.- Admin!
I am totally in summer stress right now ... the heat is wonderful to me! I so enjoy summer this year!
Big hugs,
Susi

Annie said...

What a wonderful new venue for the nut house....so much to see and buy.
Hugs,
Annie x

Lisca said...

I remember this nutty place from last time you posted it. And I like it a lot. What a fun place to fo and lots of yummy things. I would really have to leave my wallet behind as I would be tempted to buy so many things.
The mural is great and the photo opportunity looks great fun for the children. I am so glad they are doing well after the death of their mother. Good support and counselling is crucial. I know that from working in the hospice. (I didn't work with the children but some of my friends did)
Thanks for reminding me of 2nd on the 2nd. I'll try to remember.
Have a lovely weekend,
Lisca

R's Rue said...

I love the mural and fudge. Happy Friday.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Anne (cornucopia) said...

What a great place to browse and buy stuff in. No wonder the youngsters enjoyed it. I like the mural. The fudge looks delicious.

Nancy said...

What a fun place to go! And it's so well-lit and spacious- quite inviting. Where to start shopping?? It all is displayed so nicely.

My name is Erika. said...

OH my, I am not a kid but that place still made my heart race. I can image what it does to kids. The fudge looks yummy, but I love all the nut creations. Just no almonds for me, I am allergic. And the mural is so much fun. I can just make out what I think is the inside one on the photo of the sign and doorway. I bet this was a fun outing. Happy Friday. Hugs-Erika

mamapez5 said...

I could spend a looong time looking around in there! I don't think there is anything comparable in UK and certainly not in Spain. I have to admit I prefer my nuts just lightly salted without all the added flavourings, but I wouldn't be able to resist the fudge.
It is good to know the children are settling down so well in their new life. They had a rough time but it sounds as though the right help was on hand to steer them through.
Kate xx

Caty said...

OOhhh this was spectacular Elizabeth !! I can imagine how happy may have been the children, oo00hhh a nut-fantastic-world !! would like to be there too. Love these chewing gum machines!!
I wish you a very nice weekend, and send big hugs,
Caty
(sorry if i can´t visit your blog daily :) -- )

CJ Kennedy said...

What a fabulous place! All those treats! I wouldn't mind getting lost in there for a few hours.

Meggymay said...

Oh my, I think this must have been an amazing place to visit and buy some special treats. I can see from the photos how the young ones would love visiting it. The chocolate fudge has me longing for a taste. How do you choose when there is so many tempting things on sale.

Yvonne xx

Lowcarb team member said...

That mural is fabulous.
Looks a fun place you visited, I'm pleased that the kids had fun :)

All the best Jan

Divers and Sundry said...

Wow! What a fun place :) The fudge looks delicious. I get such a big kick out of these public art pieces.

Rita said...

Looks like a fun place to go! :)

Sami said...

Loved the mural Elizabeth.
That is a gigantic nut/candy store! I'm sure the kids had lots of fun choosing their sweet treats. I love fudge too :)
Have a great weekend.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Amazing mural, it would be sacrilege to get rid of it. I don't think I have ever seen a candy store like this! However I do remember the gum ball machines as there were lots of them when I was a child though you don't see them very often now. Fudge and cheesecake, heaven! Have a great weekend, Angela xXx

Words and Pictures said...

A brilliant mural and definitely kids in a candy store - what an extraordinary place. Thanks for sharing your trip with us... shame I can't share that fudge too!
Alison x

Jeanie said...

No pun intended but I would go nuts there! (I haven't read the comments but I'll bet I'm not the first one to write that!)