Thursday, July 25, 2019

Heading to the Netherlands, day 2


Today, we're all heading to the Netherlands for day 2 of our visit.  If you missed it, here is day 1.  I'm once again joining Chris at Pear Shaped Crafting, our host this month at Art Journal Journey with her theme We're all/going.  And because Try it on Tuesday's fortnightly theme is Splatters and Splodges, I'm joining their challenge again, too. 

Today we are visiting two countries: the Netherlands and Belgium.

Bruges is located in Belgium.  There are many side trips you can take in Bruges. 

A visit to the Groeninge Museum provides you with everything from Flemish primitives to expressionist paintings.

You can also take a tour of a family owned brewery and learn about Belgium brewing traditions.

A side trip to a chocolate shop

demonstrates the history behind Belgium's famous chocolate.

Before we leave the Netherlands, we must visit Giethoorn which is Holland’s famous water village.  It is often referred to as the Venice of Holland.  This picture-perfect village has no cars.  Canals are interlaced, so this is the best way to tour Giethoorn.  You can also bike or take a leisurely walk there.  Giethoorn is located in the north of the Netherlands.

For the flip side, we are in Antwerp, Belgium. 

This view is in Market Square.

Pan to the left and you catch sight of the Cathedral of Our Lady, possibly the most famous cathedral in this bustling city.

Note the background of both pages with the spatters and splodges.

For this page, as the flip side, I used images from a travel brochure advertising a trip through the Dutch waterways.  All images are from that brochure.  The splatters and splodges on both sides were created using my handmade shimmering mists, while the only decorations I used once again were bits of washi tape.  It was my way of tying all four pages together.  All words were computer generated and colored using two water soluble crayons.

Thank you beyond belief for joining me today.  I also hope you will join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey as well as Try it on Tuesday as we celebrate our Dutch summer vacation and getaway. 


22 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful page Elizabeth, there are so many beautiful old towns in Europe, in spite of all that was destroyed in the war. Had to laugh at your comment yesterday about my 'escargo, going, gone'. Thanks for the smile. Valerie

Sami said...

A visit to a Belgium chocolate factory would be nice :)
I have visited Giethoorn in Holland, such a pretty canal village.
Thanks for the memories Elizabeth.

froebelsternchen said...

Gorgeous Elisabeth I love to travel chairwise with you
A wonderful page for AJJ and TioT!
You never cease to amaze with your art and ideas!
Thank you for supporting the challenges!
Susi xxx

aussie aNNie said...

Fabulous pictures and brilliant page.x.xx

CJ Kennedy said...

Lovely pictures, but you had me at chocolate!

My name is Erika. said...

Thanks for joining us at Try It On Tuesday with some more of these fun splatters. And thanks from me for more of the Netherlands and Belgium. Happy Thursday. Hugs-Erika

Cindy McMath said...

Lovely pages on the Netherlands (both days) and Belgium. Two places I thought of going when I was in London where Amsterdam and Bruges. I did not get to either, but did go to Brussels where I got a taste of some fresh Belgian chocolate!

Sandra Cox said...

A village without cars. How amazing.

Divers and Sundry said...

Every time I hear the word "Bruges" I think of the film "In Bruges" :) Thanks for the virtual trip :) What interesting sights to see!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

I think I like day two even better !!!; and I have to wonder what it's like to live somewhere where there are no cars.....frankly I bet it's awesome !!!

de tabbies say HI two bleu N squigglez N heerz two a grate week oh end ~ ☺☺♥♥

Trillian As said...

Wonderful pages. And a nice souvenir from the trip.

Sharon Madson said...

What a fun page! I have that same turquoise washintape! Just stopping to say “hi”!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This is lovely Elizabeth. I don't know how I missed your second post for going to the Netherlands. I like the colored buildings. Great architecture.

Meggymay said...

Oh I have enjoyed seeing more pages and I would be bery happy to visit any of these destinations.
Yvonne xx

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

I've never set foot in Holland, but I loved what we saw from a cruise ship decades ago. Thank you for sharing more about this magical country in your wonderful page. Eileen xx

Lowcarb team member said...

Another great post!
I love the pictures you've used here.

All the best Jan

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Elizabeth! You are setting my wanderlust off again! I would love to visit Bruges - it has been on our list for a long while, and recently Antwerp has been added as my nephew now lives there! Both pages are wonderful with your splodgy background and I thank you for joining both Art Journal Journey and Try It On Tuesday! Chrisxx

Words and Pictures said...

Bruges is one of the most beautiful towns I've ever visited - taking a boat along the many waterways remains one of my favourite travel experiences, so I've really enjoyed this set of travel pages too.
Alison x

Jeanie said...

I love how you don't just put the photos on a page but you learn about them, what they are and mean. Now I think I'd like to visit Belgium!

Marjut said...

Wonderful page. Thank you for joining us at TioT.

Mrs.B said...

Fabulous travel pages Elizabeth, Bruges is a beautiful place, although I didn't get to visit a chocolate factory, something to do if I'm ever lucky enough to return. I like the idea of the village with waterways and no cars, sounds very peaceful.
Thanks for sharing these pages with us at Try it on Tuesday.
Avril xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful page! I've never been to the Netherlands so enjoyed seeing all the images, the architecture looks lovely and you created the perfect background of splatters and splodges too 😁. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday! Jo x
p.s. sorry I'm so late visiting you, I've managed to bash my nose on a door handle, it's not broken but I now have 2 black eyes developing. My nose is swollen and bruised too so I can't wear my reading glasses which makes it very hard to blog as I can't see ...lol 😉. x