Sunday, June 30, 2019

June and July calendars, and final AJJ journal page


June is complete and July is ready to be written in.  This month the stamps I used to embellish the page were all about holidays and vacations.

I had to improvise for June 30, because I always fill the square out at the end of the day.  As for June 29, when I was ready to scan the page, I realized I had written something I shouldn't have that involved the youngsters.  That's why I wrote "private" and covered up what I could with a sticker.

July is ready to be written in, and it looks like we are going to have a tea party.

I'm also joining Halle at Halle's Hobbies, who has been an excellent host this month at Art Journal Journey.  I have really enjoyed her theme Words to live by, although it has tested my ability and pulled me out of my comfort zone.  Since it's the last day of the month, this will be my final Words to live by entry for Art Journal Journey.

I saw this quote and all I could think of was my journal page had to be over the top.

I grabbed items from my cast offs and scraps.  I even considered taking a few balls of thread from my "bird nest fodder" box.

I have no idea where I saw this quote and no idea who said it.  I just knew I had to use it in my final entry this month.
Simplicity is the removal of the useless and the unnecessary.

Everything from handmade (made by me) to rusted paper were sewn to the substrate.

Corrugated cardboard and items left over from old swaps complete the entry.



I started with 110 lb card stock that I spritzed with my handmade shimmering mists.  Once the page was dry (and severely buckled), I began the assembly.  Once I liked the composition, I sewed everything in place, including the sentiment I spritzed with copper handmade shimmering mist.  Once again, I failed to notice my bobbin thread was gone, so I put in a new bobbin and carried on using different variegated threads.

Thanks for visiting Bleubeard and me today.  There are still a few hours remaining to join us at Art Journal Journey with your own art inspired by Words to live by. And I want to thank Halle for doing such a good job hosting this month.


12 thoughtful remarks:

craftytrog said...

Your calendar pages look great Elizabeth. I need to make my July spread, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow as we're out for a family lunch today.
I absolutely love your collage page, and that is a wonderful quote. I may have to note it down for future use.
Happy Sunday,
Alison xx

froebelsternchen said...

This last entry is a big finale of all the wonderful ideas and entries you shared with Halle's collection Elizabeth!Gorgeous! And your calendar always shows me how busy your fabulous life is. You are and artist from within. Have a great start into the new month Mixed Media Queen.Thank you for being a friend and amazing Admin for AJJ!
Summer Greetings and hugs,
Susi xxx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Wonderful calendar and art journal pages Elizabeth.

Meggymay said...

I love your journal page and all the wonderful additions, your sewing always seems to bring everything together in a very pleasing way. Super calendar pages and stamps, I liked your variety of cup stamps.
Have a good Sunday
Yvoone xx

CJ Kennedy said...

Such a full calendar. Hard to believe June is gone today and July will start tomorrow. Directed by the card with beach, I can see the water rushing to the sand in your wonderful journal page. The simplicity quote is certainly one to live by. Enjoy the day!

Halle said...

Busy lady! I love that you are still doing a calendar. I've started keeping a tiny notebook documenting the dailies. We'll see if it lasts into the school year.
Love this AJJ page! All the texture and the flow. Awesome!

Words and Pictures said...

Ooh, I just love all the textures in your page - all those different fabrics and materials, and then that fabulous stitching detail. Scrumptious! Great to see your calendar pages all filled in too... hope July proves just as busy and productive.
Alison x

Caty said...

What a wonderful page, Elizabeth! I love it! I like it so much that I just now want to create one too. You have combined all the elements and colours perfectly.
And that quote is just great. I'm sorry I could not have visited you lately, but I've been very busy. July and August are going to be two months in which I will have many occupations too, and I hope to continue with my visits, although I can not comment on all the posts.
I hope you're well, as well as Bleubeard and Squiggles. I wish you a very happy week that already begins, and I send you big hugs.

Caty said...

OOOhhh my head :) I´ve forgotten to comment about your calendar pages, sorry. Well, they are Awesome both, I love the boat stamp, yes, perhaps this little boat could bring me to Bora Bora, for incredible holidays !! haha... let´s dream ! And your page for July is.... yes, you´re right.... perfect for a Party !! love these stamps too ♥ Summer is there ! very hot here.
Happy afternoon, big big hugsss,
Caty

Divers and Sundry said...

I like the variety of materials you used and how well they came together. This is an inspiration for me in trying to add depth to my ATCs, which is a difficult thing for me. Thank you :)

Jeanie said...

I love the texture you add when you stitch. It always looks so good! And the quotes here are great, too. You find wonderful quotes!

Cindy McMath said...

Wonderful page - I love the contrast of the quote with all that’s going on in the page - great job! The sewing always catches my eye, but here I also love all of the recycled bits and pieces - especially the card board. Heading to Toronto tomorrow for a few days but will drop in on your ICADs at some point!