Wednesday, August 12, 2026

From great value to rip off

 

Today I'm on my soapbox.  It's one some of you in the states may have encountered. 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8c/Dollar_Tree_at_night_-_Hillsboro%2C_Oregon.JPG/1280px-Dollar_Tree_at_night_-_Hillsboro%2C_Oregon.JPG?utm_source=en.wikipedia.org&utm_campaign=imageinfo&utm_content=thumbnail
Image from internet.  Photo by M.O. Stevens.

   Do you, who live in the states remember Dollar Tree when everything they sold was for $1.00 (USD)?

I had to crop this in order to get it to load.  Thermal paper is the worst when it comes to scanning.
 
The last time I purchased coffee filters was right before Dollar Tree raised their prices.  Customers were warned prices would soon be raised, so I purchased two packages of 150 each.  When I went for more
two weeks ago, I not only paid more, I only got 100 filters in each package.  Fifty less filters and 25% greater price per package.  I also wanted white vinegar, but settled for cider and unfiltered vinegar.  They were $1.50 (USD) each.  I could have paid less at Aldi for the same quantity (32 ounces and 16 ounces, respectively).  
 
It's no wonder the company had loses in 2024.  According to Wikipedia "On March 13, 2024, Dollar Tree reported a loss of $1.71 billion for latest quarter and announced the closure of near 1,000 stores."
 
It appears I'm not the only person who has been ripped off by Dollar Tree.  Take your business elsewhere, dear friends.  Thanks for stopping by.  Before I lose my balance, I'm stepping off my soapbox right now. 

 

8 thoughtful remarks:

CJ Kennedy said...

Dollar Tree is not ripping you off. Unfortunately, they have to pass the cost of the tariffs they are paying onto their customers. Lots of companies are also participating in shrink-flation. Paying more and getting less. Like the company that manufactures the coffee filters Dollar Tree sells. Notice some pasta shapes are only 12 oz. instead of 16 oz. but with the 12 oz, you still pay the full price. Like you said, you pay more but get less.

Tom said...

,,,yes, I remember 5 and 10 cents stores, inflation has been around forever!

The Happy Whisk said...

Love me some Aldi. Dollar Tree here, we still have one in town and one on the hill. Not sure for how long. Our Dollar General made a dollar isle. Pretty cool.

jinxxxygirl said...

Yes i miss the old Dollar Tree.... I miss walking around not having to think about it... just KNOWING everything was a Dollar... then $1.25 crept in ... then $1.50 and now i see some things up to $5 and $7 ... not near as much fun...lol... I don't personally think they are ripping me off ... its just the economy... Hugs! deb

da tabbies o trout towne said...

“ dollar tree “ here, hasn’t been….”dollar “…..in a long time…there’s things in
the stores here at 3, and 5…..the sign needs to come down or be changed to
“ used to be dollar tree…aint no more tho”

wavez two ewe bleu and squiggles 🐾😸💚‼️

Christine said...

Dollar days are gone.

Sandra Cox said...

It's fine line to walk. Whenever prices go up, I think tariffs, though, I imagine there are some stores taking advantage of rising costs and do the same.

Jeanie said...

That was then, this is now, as they say. Shrinkflation has done a number on everything (not just Dollar Tree) but yes, there too.