Sunday, October 1, 2023

Geared for Success

 

 I want to begin by thanking Elle for hosting last month.  She gave us many wonderful journal pages and left very kind comments to everyone.  Thanks so much, Elle.

Today we welcome a new host as we always do each month to Art Journal Journey.  This month our guest host is the talented Neet from Hickydorums.  Her theme is a bit steampunk oriented she is calling In Gear.

Today we are Geared for Success.  Bleubeard and I have a couple of detail shots, too.


I have Neet to thank for the owl.  She found it on Gecko Galz September Steampunk challenge.  I have my friend and co-administrator Erika to thank for the gear background she sent several years ago. The problem was, the papers she sent (not just the gears) were 8 inch square and square doesn't work well in altered books unless you tear or cut it into smaller pieces.  However, it worked perfectly for this spread.

I printed and fussy cut the owl, but when I laid it against the gears, I wondered if the owl would blend into the background.  I just had to take my chances.  The sentiment was written with my new gold Posca pen that doesn't work as well as I had hoped, even though I shook and pressed the tip several times while making the sentiment.  I had a black oval from a scrapbook kit, so used it for the sentiment.  I outlined the oval in gold because you could see where the oval's perforations had been.
 
Neet, Chris, Erika, Valerie, Bleubeard, and I are delighted you joined us and hope to see you this month at Art Journal Journey as you share your own interpretation of In Gear. 
 
We welcome art journal pages that meet the theme requirements, altered book pages, canvases, loose, or stand alone pages including fabric and digital art.  We cannot leave comments on Facebook or Instagram entries.  We do not allow cards, tags, index cards, ATCs, or ATCoins, unless they are part of a journal page, and as much as we don't want to, will be forced to delete your entry.  Please remember if your blog is not in English, we ask that you either provide a translation tool or translate it for us.  Hope to see you soon at Art Journal Journey

 

18 thoughtful remarks:

Neet said...

So glad the owl was of use to set you off with my chosen theme. No worries about him standing out against that fabulous background of gears - he does! And what a fine fellow he is in 'his gear'.
Apart for the old Krylon gold pens I yet have to find one that is what I call a really good pen but maybe as you use it the Posca one will begin to work. I think it is the starting of them that seems to be the problem.
Thanks for joining in with my theme at AJJ.
Hugs, Neet xxx

craftytrog said...

The owl is beautiful and I love the gear background Elizabeth! This is going to be a great challenge from Neet.
Happy October,
Alison

Elephant's Child said...

That owl (and his background) epitomises steam punk. Love them both.

Iris Flavia said...

Love owls and steampunk so I love this very much!
If I had space I would ask you if I may print it to hang on the livingroom wall!
To a happy October, dear Elizabeth.

Valerie-Jael said...

Hello, dear Eliabeth! Your steamunk owl is delightful, and definitely in gear on that background. Sorry about your Posca pen, they're usually good. Have a funday, hugs to you and the boys, Valerie

Gillena Cox said...

A wise owl. Nice one. Happy Sunday.
SundaySmiles is HERE

Much🖤love

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fabulous steampunk owl! You're definitely 'In Gear'! Give your Posca pen a few more good shakes and primes - they sometimes take a while to get going! We're home, we know we're home because it's rained since we got back yesterday evening! We have been lucky enough to have lots of sunny days while away. Hugs, Chrisx

Mae Travels said...

Owls are great birds to see. This artist’s idea of dressing up the owl is amusing.
Have a great week!

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Empire of the Cat said...

What a great owl! Happy October, here's to another great theme this month!

My name is Erika. said...

You outdid the gears on this first piece Elizabeth. Very very nice. I love that cool owl too. I don't know how well he could fly-hee-hee. This is the perfect start for the new AJJ challenge, and I'm glad the paper worked out. Happy October to you!!!! hugs-Erika

Christine said...

The page works well with the owl and gears.

Tom said...

...success beats whatever is in second place.

Jeanie said...

I was never good doing steampunk but I love seeing the work of others! This will be a fun one to watch.

CJ Kennedy said...

The owl looks so cool and handsome against that background.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Fantastic looking owl.

DVArtist said...

I do love this months theme. Even though I don't join in I love seeing what everone creates. This is brilliant. Have a nice day.

Divers and Sundry said...

What a great hat!

Rika said...

Great, love the owl.