Thursday, September 28, 2023

Cats in Art, part 2

 

Once again, if you are a blogspot blogger, I am getting quite a few "Failed to Publish" notices.  If you don't hear from me, it's because blogger refuses to publish my comments to you.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, either. 

However, today I will be gone the entire day to attend seminars.  I will not be home until later this evening and will be unavailable, since I don't have a way to leave comments except on my home computer.

I have another entry for Elle from Empire of the Cat, our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  Her theme is Books, Cats, and Tea. This is part 2 of Cats in Art, as promised last week. 

This is Cats in Art, part 2.  These are the final 8.  If you missed part 1, it is here.  There are cats and human faces in these entries.  That means I will also be joining Nicole and her Friday Face Off later tonight.  Now for each individual entry.  BTW, I have NO idea what the German text is.  I just love the font, so I hope it isn't offensive to anyone.  
 
We met Theophile Steinlen last week and he is back today with another great poster.  He was a Swiss born artist who painted and created posters in the style of Art Nouveau. 

Ammi Phillips was an American portrait painter.  He was a prolific artist for over 50 years who painted mostly portraits, like the one above.  He was active during the 1800s and changed styles several times.

The artist who painted these cats is unknown.

One of my favorite artists is Edouard Manet, a French modernistic painter.  Perhaps one of his most famous works was Luncheon on the Grass, which depicted two men lavishly dressed and one woman who was nude, while another was partially unclothed in the background.

I had not heard of Robert Braithwaite Martineau before.  He was an English Victorian painter.  This was painted in 1860.

I'm sure most have heard of Pierre-Auguste Renoir, a French painter.  He was a leading advocate of impressionism, but later broke with the group and chose to paint a bit more realistically.

Utagawa Hiroshige, a Japanese woodcarver, was considered a genius with landscape compositions.  Impressionists and post-impressionists were impressed with his work.  This woodblock print may have generated up to 10,000 copies.

Robert Bereny was a Hungarian avant-garde painter.   He is famous for his nudes and his still life art.  His black cat with the white tummy is featured in several of his paintings and posters.

Bleubeard and I are delighted you joined us today and hope to see you at Art Journal Journey as you share your own interpretation of Books, Cats, and Tea.  We also hope to see you at Friday Face Off with a face, any face.

19 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

I hope your seminar goes well.
Another delightful set - and I am particularly drawn to the black moggy with the white tummy.

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Oh what a beautiful array of photos. As with my WOYWW post being late I'm late commenting. But up at 3 A M will be a long day, possible Bailey and I will nap !Q!! Today he'll be done with corn harvest if no breakdowns. Fingers crossed.....parts are hard to come by JUST like everything else (Open/Closed) workers? inventory? He'll be on to bean harvest and will help him move equipment from farm to farm....2 weeks should cover it if .....
I really have enjoyed all these great photos, Such lovely dressed children and of course adorable cats. Have a great weekend.

Iris Flavia said...

Hope your seminars are fun!
The Girl with a cat is very cute. As Julie, very, very sweet.

Tom said...

...Phillips' "Girl in Red Dress with Cat and Dog" is classic.

My name is Erika. said...

These are really lovely paintings with cats. And I know what you mean about the text. I often wonder with foreign texts what I am putting on my page. But it does look good! I hope your seminar is something fun. The word seminar sounds so daunting. (Even though I have been to some and they are not all daunting.) hugs-Erika

Valerie-Jael said...

You found a lot of fantastic, arty cats! Beautiful! Hugs, Valerie

Divers and Sundry said...

Loving all the cats you found! I look forward to hearing about the seminars.

Jeanie said...

I love these cat images -- some by my favorite artists.

Here's what I do with the comments. I type it in, I block and copy it and then I hit publish. If I get the error, I refresh the page and just paste in the comment. It usually works the second time around.

Sandra Cox said...

Love, love the cat paintings. Hope you had fun at the seminar. I'm having issues leaving messages too. There were 2 blogs I wasn't able to comment at. Grrr to blogger.

Rita said...

I especially liked the Martineau and Renoir. Love seeing all the cats, of course. :)

I think I have lost some comments without even being informed! Very randomly. And have lost some long comments I was too tired to write over again. Blogger is not always that friendly--lol!

CJ Kennedy said...

Some of those primitive portraits make me think of Facebook profile pics. 😺 Wonderful!

DVArtist said...

Wow! All of these are so beautiful. Hope the seminar is a fun one. I will finally be at the ENT for my thyroid. It has been 6 months to get into one. So I hope you will have more fun than I will. LOL Thank you for joining FFO.

DVArtist said...

Oh did you get fail to publish on my blog?

Elkes Lebensglück said...

All the pages are fantastic!!!

Gene Black said...

The German text is "pure sterilized Vingeanne milk" so it was designed for an advert.

Nice faces today.

craftytrog said...

Oh I love all those cat art images Elizabeth!
A wonderful page.
Alison

Valerie-Jael said...

Happy Face Day! Hugs, Valerie

Christine said...

Beautiful!

Empire of the Cat said...

I was looking forward to part 2 and it didn't disappoint. They are all so lovely. I have that first one, the Steinlen, framed on my wall, I must take a photo of it to show you. Hope your seminars were good. Thanks for joining me for the Books, Cats & Tea September theme at Art Journal Journey this month. Happy Journalling! Elle xx