Monday, August 7, 2023

Tapas

 

It appears I never shared this on Art Journal Journey.  Sorry it's a late entry.  I'm once again joining Chris from Pearshapedcrafting, our host this month at Art Journal Journey whose theme is Where in the World.  Today we are returning to Spain.

   

  Tapas ARE Spain.  There are various legends as to how tapas were invented, but the one I like best is when King Alfonzo X was ill, he had to take small bites of food accompanied by a small amount of wine.  Once he recovered from his illness, he declared no amount of wine could be served without something to eat.  This would prevent citizens from becoming inebriated on an empty stomach.  Although other legends exist, tapas are served when you order a drink in Spain. 

 
I hope you can read the examples of various tapas.
 




 
Which tapa would you choose?  My choices would be the Spanish omelette or the shrimps.  I created this page when I found various tapas and their descriptions in a travel brochure.  I started by creating the two line title in my word processing program (WordPerfect).  All tapas were fussy cut and glued to the page, as were the descriptions.

Bleubeard and I are thrilled you stopped by today.  We greatly appreciate your support for our art.  We also hope to see you at Art Journal Journey.
 

18 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

The Spanish Omelette for me - and indeed I often make it as a meal rather than a snack.

Rita said...

I've never even heard of them. Now I have an idea what they are. :)

My name is Erika. said...

Tapas is such a great idea. I like the story about King Alfonzo X and his declaration. Jamon serrano is delicious, and now I want some. I'd eat any of these, but sadly I don't have any of these at home and it is breakfast time-smile. Happy Monday. "see" you tonight for T. hugs-Erika

Tom said...

...I live a sheltered life, Tapas are new to me.

Valerie-Jael said...

Tapas are always wonderful Hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Interesting story about Tapas!
Oh, and now I sure crave (our) croquettes (they just have potatoe-filling) - have´t had that in ages!
Omelette always goes, too :-)

Mae Travels said...

I love every one of those tapas, and I have had them in various places, as well as preparing some of them myself. Oddly, the bars where we went in Madrid had way fewer choices than this. Nice images!
I checked my comment llist and your previous comment before today was Aug 2 — no spam in the spam folder either. I guess your later comment was eaten by blogger. It happens.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

CJ Kennedy said...

Hard to choose just one. The shrimp and croquettes. Oooh, maybe they would stuff the croquettes with shrimp!

Jeanie said...

The theme for our next Cork Poppers is Spain and we'll all be looking for good Tapas recipes to share! Your piece gives me some good ideas!

Jenn Jilks said...

I've never been exposed to Spanish food! This is interesting.

Christine said...

They all look good to me!

Debra said...

Mmm-yum-the egg and potato sounds delicious. This was very interesting-I didn't know about this.

Fundy Blue said...

I came to visit your FFO post and discovered all these other great posts, Elizabeth! I have many fond memories of tapas in Spain. My trip to Spain in a Volkswagen bus with two friends changed my life forever. I met an American on a blind date in Madrid, ended up marrying him, and immigrated to the USA. Life turns on a dime! Enjoy your day!

Divers and Sundry said...

Yes, please :)

Anne (cornucopia) said...

These look delicious.

craftytrog said...

What a delicious page, and a great idea for the theme!

Gillena Cox said...

Would luv to try tapas; never had them
Happy Thursday

Much💖love

pearshapedcrafting said...

We used to visit a local restaurant that served tapas and loved it, then it closed down! Love this page Elizabeth, it's perfect for my AJJ, hugs, Chrisx