Sunday, July 16, 2023

Monday Murals: Wichita Illustrated Map

 

It's time once again to join Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals.  Even though it's still Sunday in my world, please be aware that Sami's mural link goes live at 11:01 a.m. my time today.  

This mural is supposed to be an Illustrated Map of Wichita, Kansas (USA).  I recognize a few landmarks like the trolley that is free to ride on the weekends, the chicken that sits atop the Donut Whole, the coffee cup signified by either Reverie or The Spice Merchant, the Crown Uptown which is a dinner theater, and Watermark Books.  I'm not sure about the rest, but they are all in the Douglas Design District.
 
The artist is Olivia Grant and I like how she signed her work.  

This is one of the 108 original Avenue Arts Days murals.  Thankfully, I still have a few I haven't seen even though there are no new ones scheduled to be made, at least not for Avenue Arts.


If you live in or are familiar with Wichita, Kansas, you know that Douglas is an east/west street and both Washington and Oliver are north/south streets.  I rotated the map so it is now technically correct.  If you look, this is where the original 108 colorful murals throughout a three-mile stretch of Douglas Ave. from Washington to Oliver can be found.

This mural, named Wichita Illustrated Map, is located at 2525 East Douglas, Wichita, Kansas (USA).

If you enjoy murals from around the world, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World.


24 thoughtful remarks:

aussie aNNie said...

Fabulous and always interesting viewing here xx

Elephant's Child said...

What a fun mural. Thank you for explaining the landmarks you recognised.

Rita said...

Fun mural but also a bit of a puzzle sounds like--lol! :)

Tom said...

...neat, I now know the scope of the are. The colors are great on this one.

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous map, Elizabeth. Have a great Sunday, hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun mural

Jeanie said...

That's a very fun one!

Hena Tayeb said...

Thanks for sharing.

DVArtist said...

I'm so impressed with all the murals in your city. You would think there would be more here but there isn't. Thanks for sharing this today.

Christine said...

Lovely

J. S. Vila said...

Well this is street Art, very well done. Good photograph showing It. Thank you.

carol l mckenna said...

Delightful map and lovely murals ~ all very creative ~


Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

My name is Erika. said...

Now you have a project to figure out what the rest of these are-smile. Nice mural this week. Hope you had a nice Sunday. hugs-Erika

Iris Flavia said...

Clever, fun mural!
I wonder about the clothes hanger!

Susan said...

Lots of whimsy on that map.

Klara said...

fun mural!

Bertiebo said...

I'm not that impressed. But I do find it interesting what you say about it

Mae Travels said...

Your town is full of interesting maps that are totally about the local scene, including the city flag, which is neat.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Sami said...

Interesting map mural with the local highlights. Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Elizabeth.

Jackie McGuinness said...

I'll admit, when I saw the thumbnail I thought it was a VW van!! LOL
I really like this map.

Linda said...

108 murals! Wow!

magiceye said...

Interesting mural.

dee Nambiar said...

That's a fun and attractive map.
It looks nice on a wall. I'm sure it would look great on a fridge magnet, too.

Have a great rest of the week, you two! :)

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fun map! Hugs, Chrisx