Monday, June 19, 2023

It's Juneteenth

 

Juneteenth is one of those holidays, like the 4th of July, that is specific to the United States.  As of June 16, 2021, it is a Federal holiday, passed by Congress and signed into law by President Joe Biden.  It has also been called Emancipation Day, Freedom Day, Jubilee Day, and Black Independence Day.  Specifically, it is the day commemorating the end of slavery in the states.

In 1863, President Abraham Lincoln declared the Emancipation Proclamation, which stated all slaves in the states were now free.  However, it took until June 19, 1865 for the news to arrive in Texas.  That was when Union soldiers rode into Galveston, Texas, and residents finally learned that slavery had been abolished.

It's also ICAD time.  Sadly, I still don't have a working scanner, so I hope these are legible.  

Day 3: Foreign text that has been coffee dyed and sewn to an index card.  On top, also sewn in place was a paint chip sample to which paint chip colors had been attached, as well as a fussy cut pot from a cook book.  Peanut Butter Fudge Toffee Truffle sounds like something I would eat as a snack rather than paint on my walls.

Day 4: Various colors had been painted on printer/copier paper, then cut into grids, glued in place, and marks of various designs created using a white gel pen.

Day 5: To honor Juneteenth (although I will be creating a Juneteenth ICAD today), I colored a background in green and pink Staz-on and 91% Isopropyl alcohol, over which I added S & H green stamps, two TH paper dolls, and a positive message cut from a book of words.

This was a bit of an experiment today.  If these are legible enough to actually see, I will be photographing more next week.  Thanks for visiting.  If you live in the states, enjoy your Federal holiday.  If you live elsewhere in the world, enjoy your Monday.

12 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

Juneteenth is a wonderful holiday to celebrate.
The cards are perfectly legible and I look forward to seeing more. Sigh about the scanner though.

My name is Erika. said...

Nice ICADS. You have a great variety. And Happy Juneteenth. "See" you tonight for T day. hugs-Erika

Tom said...

...this is an important part of American history that many want to bury in the dust bin.

Mae Travels said...

Happy Juneteenth! I posted about it today too. I wish the holiday could bring people together and actually help end the terrible racial discrimination that still plagues our society. I know you feel that way too.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

jinxxxygirl said...

I knew of Juneteenth i just couldn't remember what it was about so thank you for that info. Shoot i was mailing off my ATC etc..today to my swap partner... Guess that will happen tomorrow.. I'm going to enjoy seeing your ICAD's Elizabeth and Bleubeard! Every year i say i'm going to participate.... Hugs! deb

Christine said...

What an important day when slavery was ended. I just take photos now dont use my scanner much

CJ Kennedy said...

Nice ICADS. They came through very clear. Happy Juneteenth!

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous ICADs, the last one is my fave! Hugs, Valerie

Helen said...

I'd never heard of Juneteenth, but it's a good holiday! great ICADS.

Cindy McMath said...

These look great Elizabeth - the photos work well.

Linda said...

Oh my! I remember Green Stamps!

Nice work!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great ICAD art.