Sunday, April 2, 2023

Second on the 2nd: a recycled post

 

For my Second on the 2nd, I am NOT going to rant about how Easter, considered a time of rebirth, is NOT GREEN because of plastic, plastic, plastic, plastic, plastic!  Instead, I am bringing back a very recent post from April 17, 2022.  In keeping with my recycle, repurpose, reuse philosophy, this month, I will share this entry simply called Happy Easter.  Below is the entry in its entirety.  It was in response to an AJJ challenge.


Happy Easter to those of you who celebrate/observe it.  Happy Passover to those who celebrate it.  Happy Sunday to those who don't.  I'm once again joining Alison, aka Craftytrog, our host this month at Art Journal Journey. Today I have a song for her Play it again, Sam theme.

  Bleubeard and I are celebrating Easter with a song. A very famous Easter song.  It was written by Irving Berlin and published in 1933.  It has been performed on Broadway and in films.  In 1948, it was performed in the musical film Easter Parade, which was built around the song.  Judy Garland and Fred Astaire performed it in the Easter Parade film, which made it even more popular. 

 
If the focal image looks familiar, it's because I deconstructed one of my 365 Somethings from 2018.
 

In your Easter bonnet, with all the frills upon it, 

You'll be the grandest lady in the Easter parade.

I'll be all in clover and when they look you over,
I'll be the proudest fellow in the Easter parade.


I sewed the deconstructed image to left over vintage sheet music.

On the avenue, fifth avenue, the photographers will snap us,
And you'll find that you're in the rotogravure.
Oh, I could write a sonnet about your Easter bonnet,
And of the girl I'm taking to the Easter parade.

I started by misting a used file folder with my handmade shimmering mists.  When dry, I computer generated the words on the reverse of a sheet of card stock that had originally printed incorrectly.   I sewed the focal image, a partial sheet of vintage sheet music, and the words to the file folder substrate using red variegated thread.  

For Day 17 of 22, I spritzed a used file folder with handmade shimmering mists, added a deconstructed image from my 365 Something project, added a partial sheet of vintage sheet music, and printed words on the back of a sheet of used cardstock. The spray mists were already created, and the variegated thread was new.

Thank you beyond belief for taking time to visit on this holiday.  Thanks, too, for your support of my recycling projects.  I hope you will also join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey with your own Play it again, Sam journal art. 
 

You've seen my second look, now it's time to share your own Second on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple and everyone is welcome to join the fun look back.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or perhaps one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  Any post, any genre, any artistic endeavor is acceptable, as long as it's been published sometime in the past.  Then link below (direct links only, please) and Bleubeard and I, along with other Second on the 2nd friends, will be by to visit.  However, this week, you must be quick as a bunny because the link is only good until 4 p.m. Monday (my time).


 
But wait!  I also have a new entry for today.
 
It's quick, it's easy, and it's completely recycled!
 
I call this Fireworks.
 


This started when I found the sea urchin background that reminded me of fireworks.  It was from an old calendar from 2014.  I then found the Statue of Liberty, found in a different type calendar, and remembered the year I saw fireworks from the Brooklyn Bridge in Manhattan.  I knew I had to combine the two calendar pages.  I further created the word using scrap paper which I outlined in brown dye ink, as I did the Statue of Liberty.

Thanks again for joining us today as we shared our second look and our new look using two old calendar pages and piece of scrap copier/printer paper.  The dye ink and gel pen ink were new.

 

15 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

I will never look at sea urchins in the same way again. You have opened my eyes.

Valerie-Jael said...

Fun post Elizabeth! I will get my post up later, just having a little rest now. Love your recycling project. My great auntie used to sing all those old Easter songs with me. Nice memories. Hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, I don´t know that... or any Easter song for that matter. I never knew there were songs on Easter.
Beautifully created, too. And the fireworks!
Hmmmm... will I find something for the second? If so, I´ll link.

Mae Travels said...

I’ve always loved the word “rotogravure” — from the song. And my mother had a few old newspaper pages saved from long ago that were called that, so I had seen a real example, though very deteriorated as newsprint doesn’t last, and the old colored inks REALLY degraded. It’s a nice song for next Sunday.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

I remember this page. It's good to see it again. Plus with Easter coming in a week, it is a great relook. And I'm glad you didn't go on about Easter and plastic, even if you did mention it-smile. And that sea urchin background works perfectly as fireworks. It's a cool photo and recycling it from a calendar is a good thing. I like it for your AJJ challenge. I hope you had a nice April 1 (it had to be better than mine) and enjoy the rest of your weekend. hugs-Erika

Jenn Jilks said...

I surprised my daughter, when on the phone, mentioning Friday is Good Friday! Now we're having a sleepover!

Christine said...

Lovely pages! Happy Easter!

CJ Kennedy said...

Easter bonnets. Makes me think of the straw hats with the tight elastic under the chin that we had to wear for Easter or Sunday best as kids. What a clever way to see sea urchins. Well done

Jeanie said...

Irving Berlin, rotogravure. Who else would think to use that. (Maybe Sondheim, though I'm not aware he ever did.

craftytrog said...

Two wonderful pieces of art Elizabeth!

Rika said...

Pretty page, love how you used the music page.

wendy kirk said...

Two lovely pages, the song brought back a memory or two. Great theme Elizabeth. Hugs Wendy

pearshapedcrafting said...

Well, There's my ear worm for today! I do love this Elizabeth. Sorry I wasn't here for Second on the 2nd. I love the calendar page entry! That background is spectacular! Hugs,Chrisx

nwilliams6 said...

A great second entry in your challenge, Elizabeth. Super page for Easter. Sometimes I wish we all still wore Easter Bonnets and had Easter parades. Lovely thoughts in the song and lovely page. I like your previous page too. Hugz

Aimeslee Winans said...

Ah, Easter bonnets do date us, lol. Such a fixture of my childhood. And wow, I thought those were fireworks, very clever! I chuckled at you remembering this and that for your collage. That's most of the battle with me, trying to remember where I put what I remembered I have but cannot find. Ugh! XOX