Thursday, January 19, 2023

Raini's Art and Dinner Date: Collage and Tuna

 

It's been a LONG time since I joined Rain for her art and dinner date. or as many call it, Rain's TADD.  However, the prompt this week is Collage, which is right up my alley and down my street!

  Maybe you thought I would choose Food Fodder as a collage of choice.

  Or this one called Tools

Nope.  I'm going back to my early collages that are SO different from the ones I make today.  I created the following collages and many more (I filled an entire book, in fact) between March and December, 2008.

  Locked:  Pigment ink,  scrapbook paper, paper scraps, embellishments, magazine image.  This collage also has a face for Nicole's Friday Face Off.

  Designed by Architects: scrapbook paper, hand painted paper, magazine images, mica powder added to silverware handles.

  https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhsbAoo5PRyTM-FFVVIhU7TH9TYISRZ-h7k8eC7bEC_6tjvNaNbBz140cZeygeVUiEAUdWmsPm3XzdnZ5kLyP9v4A4Se8oDVjIKloOee_1C2J7iKDEDLVB8LhuI1vK0IPm2RbUj/s1600/Cry+baby.jpg  Cry Baby: images from various magazines, computer generated text, and matching background design.  Another face for Nicole's Friday Face Off.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh8cEdtG852H9PoQlzvafxsj1QLmeHCVK0fxxnV60NzpkKRlFmUX0jJhOgJuHHTHwPA2Sx8RS2Os8uhZ2lf5U_xviDwW3bHMnYcowDv2YfbcuyrNVH8QrrEkzqGo61OcYmNOtMWzQ/s1600/Universe.jpg  The Universe: textured handmade, hand painted background paper, cardboard mats spray painted green and gold, trimmed in gold ink, words and central image from a science book.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhvvMiAECL_Cr8Ghbwcp_CsgoLXzXcMrvPLB3zXSdgdbQkiwJgVtOPg1CJboaCVGdGASeVRjF1nV1GOwKmIi4EknucBTyoMMmw1s5gyJ1wvblOsgcthfUzBwsXd1RgxuQYGzL1XVg/s1600/Word.jpg  Word: textured background paper, hand painted and stamped (by me) frame, focal image was part of a swap exchange, words are from a magazine. A third face for Nicole's Friday Face Off.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhS16BV8LKdf3ztsvX7AbtQ-lzeDK-S5MNtJOAw9EX0uD3QbFiIilaRGuVpjy-ADcF7YjtYGCuhFIiga4Q4VYn0wF5dVgacZlz7E_43_o66oqyjofWKqw02OEmPu9kq3pH3L5tb7g/s1600/Christmas+Kitch.jpg  Christmas Kitsch: adorable images fussy cut from a magazine, hearts cut from painted book pages, three tickets, shaving cream paper background. Really adorable faces for Nicole's Friday Face Off.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjE1cYjIgcmxL8ib1pshN2rMOiMKz9xcLp5blZHVdlWNdDX1BDMztnQJ6RmeVsmkaxSDWABgbOVQvD4QqV9FgkY1rQMLd5HeZ0iItHu2cEmRXw8OiTuwqubgm03svOlpaUwtEQIxQ/s1600/The+ringmaster.jpg   The Ringmaster: fussy cut magazine image, fussy cut botanical book image, ticket. Yet another face for Nicole's Friday Face Off.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjnELUH53hkEkRElTE0So_Ky1ZU5ui_3pa2LR8gYHhV56zSm0iXPfpdubxL-f52zHb_xumpxYTPOTfjgDXDIbrCzndUDfdWzxyspbrROaC3CRohSS-MVEwHVMOmB8r0Sj9oCmJ6aw/s1600/Behind+the+8+ball.jpg  Behind the Eight Ball: Images taken from four different magazines.  Rowboat and eight ball were fussy cut.  Possibly my favorite collage of all.

And finally I give you

The Collage Artist's Tool Box:  Scrapbook paper turned into a collage box, various supplies one would need to create a collage.  Just add glue and scissors. And of course, there has to be a face in the Collage Artist's Tool Box that qualifies for Nicole's Friday Face Off.

Now I've brought back all those collages, it's time to fix a meal. 

Let's make a tuna salad sandwich that I will actually eat.

I normally buy albacore tuna, but all I could find at the store this week was solid white tuna.  I don't buy the tuna flakes in water because there is too much waste and the solid tuna tastes so much better.  Not as good as albacore, but good!

I like this oat nut whole grain bread, too.

Pure gold.  I paid $5.25/dozen (USD) for these eggs.  I have two cooking right now so they will be ready for the salad when I assemble it.

Because I cannot eat mayonnaise OR the imitation stuff, either, I add black olives and Hidden Valley Ranch dressing instead of pickles, celery, and onions, like other people add to theirs.  I didn't buy lettuce this week because it looked nasty, but adding a rib of lettuce would have made it a perfect tuna salad sandwich for me.

Thanks for joining Bleubeard and me.  We are thrilled you chose to spend time with us as we join Rain's TADD and Nicole's Friday Face-Off.


 

23 thoughtful remarks:

kathyinozarks said...

I Loved seeing your collages, and yum I love tuna salad, sometimes I put greek yogurt in mine.

Elephant's Child said...

Simply gorgeous. Thank you.

Iris Flavia said...

Love ALL the collages! They are great and that was the way you brought back my interest into art "back then", too :-)
I love Kathy´s idea with the yogurt.
I use good olive oil instead so far. Will give the yogurt a go!

Mae Travels said...

I agree about your favorite collage: the little boat in the desert is very effective. I also agree about albacore tuna !

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Elderberry-Rob said...

never tried collage, what a lot of fun! thanks for putting the post together there's so much inspiration here :)

My name is Erika. said...

It's fun to see your older collages that I don't remember. They're great. I like going back to see where I've gone artwise over time. And you can't go wrong with tuna sandwiches. My favorite way is to make a tuna melt and add tomato and cheese. Now I want one, but I'll skip the black olives. (Weird, I like a few black olives on something like a Greek salad, but not in food.) Happy Thursday. hugs-Erika

DVArtist said...

Wow these are all wonderful. I have several faves especially the key over the eye. That is brilliant. I am making egg salad today my self. Have a very nice day and thank you for joining FFO.

Jeanie said...

I think last week I paid $3.49 for XL eggs (dozen). It's all over the place. I love your collage maker's toolkit art. You nailed it!

CJ Kennedy said...

I love the collages especially the eye and the key. Outstanding!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

All your collages are terrific, but I think my faves are "Christmas Kitsch" and "Behind the Eight Ball!" And "Designed by Architects" as well!

Christine said...

You do wonderful collages! The tuna sandwich sounds good.

Divers and Sundry said...

Such a variety of collages. Nice!

I like tuna salad. I use mayo, sweet pickle relish, and egg in mine, never onion or celery. I do use celery in chicken salad.

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, so many amazing pages today! So beautifully collaged together and I'm loving the Locked, Designed by Architects and The Universe pages 😊. Enjoy the rest of your week! Hugs Jo x

kwarkito said...

I love your collages, I find them very cheerful and stimulating for the imagination

Rita said...

Wow! So many collages! Nice!
Love tuna salad.
Have a great weekend, Elizabeth! :)

Gene Black said...

Collage has never been one of my strong areas. I think that I have only made two or three that I considered "successful."
I love the Locked collage as it reminds me of "locked-in syndrome" - a condition where there is complete paralysis of voluntary muscles in all parts of the body except for those that control eye movement.

Tom said...

...I love a tuna sandwich!

Debra said...

The collages are fantastic.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

My favourite is the face with the key.

Fundy Blue said...

Your collages are so creative, Elizabeth. I frequently make tuna sandwiches, but I always use mayonnaise. It's hard to imagine life without mayo ~ sorry!

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I fully expected you to be the champion of collage and you didn't disappoint. However, I note that there are no scissors or pictures of scissors in either of your tool collages ... and how do you do your collages without scissors? I also have missed Bleubeard for your past few posts ... hoping he is okay, yes? Your Tuna Sandwich sounds delish ... my daughter loves tuna salad, but doesn't like Mayonnaise so this is the perfect fix, especially since Ranch dressing is her favorite. I shall give it a try ... and YES, the cost of eggs and everything else is outrageous! The causes of the high price of eggs is supposedly an outbreak of bird flu ... what next? I give up. I just close my eyes and keep moving. The world we live in is not at all what I would have imagined or hoped for .... But having people like you in my life helps me get through it :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

NatureFootstep said...

wow, you share many nice pieces. My favorite is the boat in the desert :)

Rain said...

Hi Elizabeth! ☺ I'm always so behind on comments! Your collages are beautiful, I love "Word"!! I haven't had tuna salad in ages, sounds good though I do love my mayo! Just a tip, if you get the famous error message from Blogger when you're leaving comments, press Ctrl and F5 together (if you have a keyboard as such), this clears your cache from that particular page and you should be able to leave a comment. Though with Blogger you just never know!! ☺