Saturday, December 17, 2022

A collage square

 

I originally scheduled this post for Monday of this week.  However, I suddenly realized I had to put my sewing machine aside if I wanted to join Try it on Tuesday before it was too late to create a page for their Winter Wonderland theme.  That's why this post is a bit dated, but I still wanted to get my point across.

Back on November 10, I created a Second Thursday tutorial.  Some of you will remember I created collage fodder based on a tutorial originally offered by Catherine Rains.  

  These were the pages I created and sorted according to light, medium, and dark values.

This was the first square I made.  I showed it at the time I created the tutorial.  It is 8 sq inches (20.32 sq cm).
 
While taking a break from working on my sewing machine, I created this second square using some of the same papers I created back in November.  This square is the same size and the collage fodder is backed with 140 lb. watercolor paper.
 
One thing I should mention.  I am a fanatic about cleaning my machine.  I clean it every 10 hours I sew and deep clean and oil it once a month if I use it a lot.  Some months I don't use it at all, and I clean it, or at least wipe it down, before I use it again.
 
I don't sew much fabric to fabric, but I DO sew primarily paper to paper.  In my opinion, sewing paper is harder on a machine than sewing fabric.  Paper creates a hole every time the needle is inserted in it.  Granted, the same is true of fabric, but fabric usually doesn't show the hole which heals as the next stitch is taken.  That excess paper has to go somewhere, and it usually collects on the needle bar, the presser foot, the feed dogs, the slide bar, and/or the bobbin area.  These are the places I have to clean the most.  The needle bar gets the most oil.

I know some machines have places you can adjust the bobbin tension, but my simple Singer doesn't have that option.  It's a drop in bobbin.  Also my feed dogs don't drop, so my sewing machine is very basic.  That's why I feel comfortable taking it apart.

While I continue working on my sewing machine making art, I appreciate that you dropped by today.

14 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

I love your creativity - and I am sure your sewing machine is grateful for the attention you give it.

Iris Flavia said...

Wow. I like your art and I have the feeling you suggest I should try sewing with fabric?
I once tried a cushion cover, that was quite difficult to lay and pin together. Let alone the measuring!

Valerie-Jael said...

Nice collage and colours. My sewing machine has been playing up a lot lately, too. Have a good weekend, hugs to Bluegrass and Squiggles! Valerie

Mae Travels said...

I’ve been meaning to figure out how to oil my sewing machine, but it has never happened. I’m pretty clueless about the technology and even about the terminology — I don’t know the names of all those moving parts. So it’s impressive that you are in control of all that.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Christine said...

Very nice

jinxxxygirl said...

And my STILL brand new sewing machine sits on a shelf... to be honest i'am probably intimidated by it.. although it is a very simple $50 machine from Walmart and i only want to make simple things... pillows etc.. nothing intricate... one day... Love your square Elizabeth and your collage fodder! Hugs! deb

My name is Erika. said...

Sewing on paper is harder than on cloth for certain. It takes more work for the needle to pierce the paper, and one thing that does happen is that needles get dull a lot faster than with cloth. And you're right; they do leave lots of paper dust. Shall I tell you about my sewing machine like some other commenters have? I actually have 3 sewing machines. I have an ancient (older than me) machine that my aunt found for me when I was a teenager. I don't use it any longer, but my husband's aunt who ran a curtain making business said not to get rid of it because it is solid metal (and weighs a ton) and with a good cleaning it could make a workhorse machine. I also have a basic machine my husband got me for Christmas maybe 20 years ago which works great. I won't get rid of it because if my third machine dies on me one day it might be too pricey to fix. My newest machine is all electronic. I bought it used for a steal of a price at my local sewing machine/vacuum cleaner shop when they were having a clean out their warehouse sale. I was interested and I just couldn't not buy it because it was a really expensive machine and they were selling it for such a low price. In fact, it was so inexpensive I was worried I'd get home and it would be junk. If I didn't buy it then, someone else would have snagged it, so even though I didn't have any intentions of buying a sewing machine that day, I did.(I actually went in to see if vacuum cleaner bags were on sale or if they had any vacuums that might have been newer than mine on sale for a good prie-which they didn't in either case.) They told me the sewing machine was all cleaned up and worked 100%- which it does. I've been very happy with it, and truthfully, I still have a lot to learn about using it. But it is fun to play with, and I'm constantly learning new things I can do with it.

Your page looks great, and I enjoyed reading about your sewing machine cleaning too. Sorry for the long comment. hugs-Erika

Rita said...

I always wondered if sewing paper on the machine was messier and harder on it than fabric.

Divers and Sundry said...

I don't even have a sewing machine, but Mother had a Pfaff -the same machine for as long as I remember. My sister has it now.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Such beautiful colours!
I've never tried to sew on paper.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I never heard of Try It On Tuesday. Sound fun.
Coffee is on and stay safe

kathyinozarks said...

I enjoyed reading Erika's comment-I have a very heavy machine that was my farm girl Grandma's that she had converted to electric-it was a treddle she had it converted to electric so she could carry it to the church for the quilt sewing bees. that is a work horse machine for sure. I had my Mom's sewing that was an expensive machine when she bought but it is all computer and I didn't need all that-so I gave it to a person in need of one.
I needed a new machine when we retired the one I had was my sisters and just wasn't working well any more. Larry was going to buy me anything I wanted-I said I just want a very simple good machine that just sews nothing fancy so be bought me a simple huskavarna (spelt wrong) I love it.
I love your collage fodder and page Elizabeth-I have never sewn papers on my machines-I usually handstitch instead-but I know that is too difficult for you to do with your hands.
sorry for the long post hugs

Linda said...

Interesting. Certainly paper makes its one little dust.

Fundy Blue said...

Such pretty collages, Elizabeth! Your sewing machine does a great job with paper, but that's certainly due to how you pamper it. I used to sew a long time ago. I even sewed my first wedding gown and the attendant gowns for my three sisters. I have daydreams of sewing again, but it's looking less likely ~ lol! Happy creating!