Monday, November 14, 2022

It's the pits

 

Many of you probably know by now that Bleubeard and I are hosting Art Journal Journey this month with our themes Collage Fodder, Food and Drink, or both. 

This is the pits!  It's also the title of this work.

 I used a stencil and brown dye ink to create what I hoped looked like olive pits.

You will more than likely have to use your imagination, but this is supposed to be one of two olive trees.
 
 An olive pitter sits between the two olive trees.

 After removing all those pits, you get extra virgin olive oil, or EVOO.  Of course, you  can buy green and black olives with the pits removed, too.



 
 I even remembered the date.

The substrate is cream 140 lb. cardstock that I decided to keep plain, instead, focusing on the various collage elements I sewed to the page using red variegated thread.  I created the olive trees out of wood grain cardstock.  The words and pitter were from the book of kitchen tools, and the olive oil came from a household tips book put out by the Old Farmer's Almanac.  The ransom style letters came from various magazines.  I framed the page using blue variegated thread.

Bleubeard and I are truly delighted you visited today and hope to see you at Art Journal Journey with your own version of Collage Fodder, Food and Drink, or both. 
 

  We are also joining AEDM.

 

15 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely page, Elizabeth, great idea with the olives. Your trees are fun and a tad different to the olive trees I have seen. But I must confess, I don't like olives or olive oil. Could you please link me again this evening? Hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

Smiling. I wonder whether my cherry pitter would also work on olives. Probably it would.

Rita said...

Looks similar to the leather hole punches for belts and such...or the contraption used for setting snaps--LOL! I did not know about pitters.

NatureFootstep said...

Cool, I think I have a tool like that somewhere. It was my mothers. Have not seen it for a while now.

Iris Flavia said...

Great page! In Tuscany we got olive oil from the farmer. We were tempted to just drink it!

My name is Erika. said...

Great idea for a page Elizabeth. I like how you added the olive oil image too. Nice page for AJJ. Happy new week to you. hugs-Erika

Christine said...

Lovely page!

CJ Kennedy said...

When I saw the title, it wasn't what I was expecting 😺 Great job. I just buy black pitted olives.

kathyinozarks said...

cool page for the theme

Empire of the Cat said...

I like your page, I wondered what it was going to be when I saw the title lol. I love olives though some are hard to get nowadays :( but I don't have a pitter, if the pits are still in, then I just eat them and spit out the pits haha. It's still taking forever to load the comment form but it is loading eventually.

Sharon Fritchman said...

Wonderful and creative page! I love your title! And a great way for me to learn about pitters, too. Thanks for hosting AJJ this month.

Jeanie said...

I always love your clever titles!

pearshapedcrafting said...

I've never used a pitter but I really love this page - not 'the pits' but 'just the job' for your AJJ theme! Hugs, Chrisx

Debra said...

The cut out letters are a perfect touch. Love it.

craftytrog said...

A brilliant page, I love the stitching and lettering Elizabeth.
Have a great weekend.
Alison