Friday, November 4, 2022

It's all about the Queen

 

As if the title doesn't give this away, my journal page for Art Journal Journey is not about collage fodder, but partially about food.

I am honoring the now deceased Queen of England with a bit of British humor.

 The inspiration for this spread came after I received these postage stamps on a postcard from Elle (eotc).

I happened to have a stamp that reminded me of the Queen's iconic purse.  In case you can't read my handwriting, the Queen was saying: "Items I've carried in my (purse) since becoming Queen."

Another inspiration for this page was in the napkin Jo sent in the napkin swap.  Even though I'm sure the Queen had people who did all her shopping, I suspect she carried a bit of money in her purse.

I found a product I hoped would pass for a tube of lipstick.  I know all my British friends are aware of the Paddington sketch during the Queen's platinum jubilee, but I'm not sure how familiar the rest of the world is with the video.  Paddington Bear joined the Queen at Buckingham Palace for afternoon tea.  Paddington drinks tea directly from the pot, then pulls a sandwich from his hat.  The Queen confides that she has stashed a marmalade sandwich in the royal handbag: “I keep mine in here, for later,” she tells Paddington.
 
I began this page with some old, pink, 90 lb cardstock I found in my stash.  I used a stencil and brown dye ink to create the bit of decoration on the page.  The sandwich was a coupon I found in my junk mail.  I have explained where I got the rest of the items that made up this tongue in cheek page I created for Art Journal Journey.  Sorry, Bleubeard.  This one was more about food and drink and less about collage fodder.

Bleubeard and I are delighted you dropped by and hope to see you at Art Journal Journey with your own take on Collage Fodder, Food and Drink, or both.
 

  We are also joining AEDM.

And it suddenly occurred to me, right as this post was ready to go live, that the Queen's face can qualify for Nicole's Friday Face Off.


26 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

This is great!! I think she really was a person with huge humor she sadly often had to hide...

Elephant's Child said...

I wonder whether she did carry any cash. I suspect not - after all her credit was definitely good.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, love the journal page. You have just reminded me that I have some of those napkins somewhere, they are so much fun. I know Annie's not around today but thought I would pop over anyway to see what my lovely friend is up to. Have a great weekend. Hugs, Angela xxx

My name is Erika. said...

This is a great page, and I love how you used the napkin. I used mine (this is a good napkin for certain) for a travel journal page hearing that the queen had died. The hubby and I are both royal watchers and we had many conversations while driving on our vacation about the whole event and where things would go. You used this napkin well, and I like how you included the old postage stamps as well as her purse. I wonder what Charles will use since I don't expect to carry a purse for all those little non-verbal signals the queen used her purse for. Happy Friday. hugs-Erika

Gene Black said...

I do think the Queen would have found this amusing. She had quite the sense of humor. I loved the Paddington video with the Queen.

Tom said...

...keep making art.

CJ Kennedy said...

Sweet page. She seemed to enjoy the sketch she did with Paddington as well as the one with James Bond (Daniel Craig) for the 2012 Olympics.

Valerie-Jael said...

Fun page and a great idea, I am sure she would have liked it! Hugs, Valerie

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, I love your page so much, and I didn't know about Paddington bear and the Queen-so sweet

mamapez5 said...

I must admit, I love a marmalade sandwich and I very much enjoyed the Paddington bear sketch. Well done for collecting all the relevant images for your page. I am glad folk have still posted this week without Annie to link to. See you again next week maybe? Kate x

Computer Tutor said...

She will be missed. I don't know much about Charles (except what I watched on the fictional The Crown), but I doubt anyone could replace Elizabeth.

Jeanie said...

This is such a clever interpretations, Elizabeth, and you know I love the subject! Those stamps are wonderful!

DVArtist said...

Very nice post for the Queen. A great face for Friday Face OFF. Have a lovely day.

Christine said...

Lovely tribute

Empire of the Cat said...

Love your page idea today Elizabeth, and how you tied it into the theme, and the purse idea. So glad you found a use for the stamps. They are quite pretty and colourful.

Neet said...

There was I thinking you had a British £10 note.
A lovely tribute to Her Majesty, yes it was a lovely little filmed cameo with her and Paddington. When she passed there was lots of different little films with Paddington expressing his sadness. It quite caught the audience that little bear.
Hugs, Neet xxx

Lisca said...

What a lovely tribute to our namesake (Yes, I'm an Elisabeth too, although my name has an 's' in it.)
And I love the Paddington sketch. Her majesty had a sense of humor and I also remember the 007 sketch filmed with Daniel Craig.
Here things have calmed down a bit. The last visitor has left early Thursday morning (Graham's daughter) and we are alone now until our eldest, Phil, arrives on Monday night. I'm greatly looking forward to that as that is the son who always lived with us and I consider as 'my boy'.
We seem to have the pain medication a bit better under control and graham is up several times during the day. He has not been able to eat for weeks but today we are trying little amounts of highly soluble food like porridge. He has also eaten poached egg white, which so far hasn't disturbed him.
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

Mae Travels said...

I loved the skit with the Queen and Paddington. I’m a fan of both of them, and it was fun to see them together. She ad-libbed as they went along, I think. The new royals just don’t have any of her good humor and intelligence. I wish you had Paddington Bear in your collage.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Lowcarb team member said...

Oh, this is brilliant.
What a great post.

Enjoy your weekend.

All the best Jan

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fun page which definitely has collage and food covered for your AJJ theme. The Queen certainly had a great sense of humour - I think we all enjoyed that sketch with Paddington Bear! Hugs, Chrisx

craftytrog said...

A brilliant tribute to our late Queen Elizabeth. She did indeed have a great sense of fun, I loved that Paddington sketch she did for her Jubilee.

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous page to honour the late Queen! The postage stamps look amazing and thanks for the shout out, I'm so pleased that you used the napkin on this page - perfect 😊. Happy wishes! Hugs Jo x

NatureFootstep said...

beautiful. I think everybody loved her. She always had a smile on her face. And it always seemed true. Not fake! A beautiful human beeing. :)

nwilliams6 said...

I love the humor here. She was special and she did have a great sense of humor. You have captured that here and made me smile. Fun page, Elizabeth.

Divers and Sundry said...

A nice tribute.

We got a big kick out of the Paddington video. She was a good sport :)

Rita said...

A sweet page!
I remember when we kept a dime in our shoe in case we needed to use a pay phone.