Sunday, August 28, 2022

Avenue Art Days Mural 108: in progress

 

It's Sunday, which means it's time once again to join Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals.  Even though it's still Sunday in my world, please be aware that Sami's mural link goes live at 11:01 a.m. my time today.   

 According to the Avenue Art Days web site:


This year’s final installation will feature a single, large-scale legacy mural, inviting all artists and volunteers who have participated in years past, to contribute to the 2022 legacy piece. 

One winning artist submission, will be selected by our AAD committee, and that artist will be awarded a $4000 stipend to lead the team of past AAD artists and friends during the weekend of August 25, 2022 in the installation of their winning design to be located on the entirety of the West facing wall of Moler’s Camera. Submission deadline 12pm, July 18.


You can see the guidelines have been met for this 108th and final Avenue Art Days mural.  Some of you may have seen my camera quit working when I attempted to replace the batteries.  My friend Scott ordered me a new one from Amazon (another Nikon) like my previous one.  However, it won't be here until the end of the week.  

My friend Sally allowed me to take photos on her phone, but my fingers don't lie flat, so I had trouble trying to hit the button.  These are the only two photos I managed to get before I realized I simply could NOT use a cell phone to take photos.  The remainder of the photos were taken by Sally, my foodie friend.



I wish Sally had gotten the complete list of artists who have contributed over the years, but apparently she didn't realize how important that was.  I recognized some of the names on the list, like Make ICT, Meghan Miller, Tina Nguyen, Elisabeth Owens (whose name on which I always comment because of the spelling), John Pirtle, Brady Scott, Mr. Sticker, Baxter "Slim" Stuber (from the Colorblind Sunset two weeks ago), Josh Tripoli, and Zion Art Squad.  And that is just half the names of artists who have contributed AAD murals over the years.


I couldn't believe blogger loaded these photos backward.  Guess it doesn't matter that much, though.

While Sally was taking photos, I asked who won the stipend of $4,000.00 (USD).  They told me Heather Byers won.  I was THRILLED.  I have featured her work before.

When she learned I was a fan, she came over and talked to us.  She told me she would NEVER quit making murals, so I asked her to let me know on my blog where and when she would create her next mural.  She had just finished one in Haysville, which is a town just south of Wichita.  
 
I asked if Sally could take a photo of her.  She thought I wanted a photo with her, but I declined because Bleubeard is the face of our blog and I am the one who normally takes the photos.  

For those of you on social media, which I am not, you can find Heather:
https://www.heatherbyers.art/ 
https://www.heatherbyers.art/work/public-murals

By the time I get my camera, the mural will be finished and I will return to share it in all its glory.  This mural is located at Moler Camera.  Their address is 2609 East Douglas in Wichita, Kansas (USA). 
 
If you enjoy murals from around the world, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World.  Thanks for stopping by this weekend. Bleubeard and I are delighted you could join us.
 
 

22 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

Love the mural.
I am with you about social media and hope your new camera arrives soon.

Helen said...

Hope your new camera comes soon but it was kind of Sally to take some photos for you. Blogger is always adding my photos out of order too, it is so annoying!

Valerie-Jael said...

This looks like a fun event, and I'm glad a woman won the prize. I will look her up on FB. Hope your new camera works for you. I still use my old Sony and love it! Have a great Sunday, hugs, Valerie

Meggymay said...

I am catching up as usual and as always have enjoyed reading your posts that I have missed. These murals look awesome and must have taken the artists hours to create. Your pages look fantastic and I did like the one with the happy Hula girl images.
Have a good week and have fun using your new camera.
Yvonne xx

CJ Kennedy said...

Awesome mural and so cool that you got to meet your favorite mural artist

kathyinozarks said...

Very awesome post Elizabeth, your friend Scott is so thoughtful and caring.
This would have been fun to watch the artists paint their murals-have you done that before?
How even more fun to be able to meet your favorite artist. Thanks for sharing with us.

Christine said...

Good mural

Jenn Jilks said...

I do like murals.
Good luck with the new camera!

Rostrose said...

The big purple mural looks great! I love such artistically designed murals. Unfortunately, we don't have similar competitions here, because I think it makes sense to promote talented artists in this way and at the same time to beautify boring buildings or walls.
All the best, Traude

My name is Erika. said...

I think it's fun you were able to not only see the mural in progress, but also get to meet the artist. I hope you do get back and get the finished mural and share that with us.(When your camera arrives). It looks like it is going to be amazing. And thanks to Sally for snapping some photos too. Hope you're having a great Sunday. hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

I always enjoy seeing these large-scale murals.

I don't get out much so depend on social media for social contact. It is what you make it.

Mae Travels said...

The images of work in progress and of the artist are very enjoyable! Good luck with the new camera.

When my photos are in the wrong order I cut and paste them into the places that I want them. I find it baffling to understand what order is assigned to them.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Tom said...

...this will be a BIG WOW! It will great to see it completed.

Iris Flavia said...

Sad about your cam but yay to meeting the artist!!!
Such a great event - oh, Germany is so far behind, it´s embarrassing.
Looking forward to the new mural, these are great, too, though.

Bertiebo said...

Nice to have met the artist

s.c said...

Very nice post and wonderful that you met an artist. That happen not often.

Sami said...

Sorry about your camera Elisabeth. I use my mobile phone more than my camera, specially at night as it takes better night photos, but the lens also stopped working while I was overseas!
Nice of Sally to take photos for you though.
Nice huge mural and how lovely that you met the winner. Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Elisabeth.

Jackie McGuinness said...

What a great piece of art, can't wait for more photos.
I use my phone for my photos. I did not take my DSLR camera on our last big trips. But I am taking it to Newfoundland with me.

magiceye said...

Lovely mural!

RedPat said...

That is wonderful to talk to the artist. I look forward to seeing the finished mural when you have a camera to use.

Jeanie said...

That's a really interesting concept/technique with all the artists on the same mural, if I understand that right. I love that you got to talk with one of the artists. That always makes it extra special and I love that she will keep going with more murals!

Linda said...

Sounds like a great project. I look forward to seeing what you think of your new camera.