Thursday, June 2, 2022

Second on the 2nd: Friendly Waters

 

Today I have a second look that echoes our host at Art Journal Journey.  That means it involves a fish.  Thankfully, you won't be seeing double this month, since the 2nd doesn't land on T Tuesday this month.

This journal page was created for a couple of challenges in January, 2019 about Geometric Shapes. I revisited it, but removed all evidence of links to previous challenges, one site which is now defunct.

  If you have been around my blog for any length of time, you know I can't draw.  I've said it before that it's not in my wheelhouse.  I not only can't draw, I am not particularly good at coloring the shapes I DO draw.   Actually, I have no desire to draw and color.  However, I CAN draw geometric shapes, even if I have to use a ruler and a French curve to do so! 

That's why today I give you my entry I call "Friendly Waters."

I hope this catfish

finds these waters friendly.

I hope you can see this is supposed to be a fish (come on dear friends, use your imagination).

For this page, I tore a page out of an old Plane Geometry book and colored it blue using a water soluble crayon.  Since the page was so old, the light blue was difficult to color over the brown paper.  The geometric shapes I chose for the fish I colored using a dark blue water soluble crayon were three triangles, two circles, and two one-quarter ellipses. The fin and center of the eye were made using turquoise acrylic craft paint, while the "whiskers" were orange acrylic craft paint.

__________________________________________________

Now it's time to share your own Second on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple and everyone is welcome to join the fun look back.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or perhaps one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  Any post, any genre, any artistic endeavor is acceptable.  Then link below (direct links only, please) and Bleubeard and I, along with other Second on the 2nd friends, will be by to visit.  Please be aware this link is only open until Monday at 4:00 p.m. my time, so linking on the 2nd is preferred.   

Please share something from your blog that you showed previously. Be sure the link goes directly to your Second on the 2nd post and not your blog in general.

 


 

 

 

17 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

I knew straightaway that it was a fish! Happy 2nd on the 2nd, hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

That is a very fine fish.

My name is Erika. said...

That is definitely a fish! Fun old page too. And even though you don’t want to draw, it is really just a matter of drawing shapes. Like your fish. Happy second o the second! Hugs Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

No imagination needed. That's definitely a fish. I like how the fish head and its mouth mirrors the triangles on the background page. Happy 2nd on the 2nd

Mae Travels said...

Fish make a great theme for your month of art work. And revisiting an old blog post is a neat idea, though in fact this one could be from any time, it's not anchored to any events or news stories from the past.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Iris Flavia said...

And who encouraged me to draw? That was you!
And I do like your fish! :-)

Jenn Jilks said...

Quite fun!

Debra said...

Now listen here-you CAN draw and you CAN paint! You have a wonderful color sense. Look how beautifully these colors go together! The fish is a beautiful design-very modern art. You are an artist and you don't even know it! BTW-this page is gorgeous.

Christine said...

Happy 2nd on the second!

Lisca said...

Of course it is a fish! I might even argue it's a shark. Lol. You say you can't draw or color in, but you didn't do too badly there.
I also saw your beautiful creation yesterday with the beautiful background. Gorgeous!
Happy Second on the 2nd!
Hugs,
Lisca

DVArtist said...

Ohh I am all into this blue fish. Have a very nice day today.

Serena Lewis said...

Definitely looks like a fish to me. You did well, Elizabeth, especially for someone who has no desire to draw and/or colour.

I hope you have a beautiful weekend,
Serena x

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like your fish ...

All the best Jan

Elizabeth Seckman said...

What a great idea! Imagine using pages of a book as a canvas...I wish I knew how to paint!

Fundy Blue said...

Your fish is great, Elizabeth! And I think it's wonderful that you like to draw geometric shapes. Try teaching thirty third graders to draw a three dimensional cube, even a straight line with a ruler ~ lol! Some desperate teacher would love you as a classroom volunteer for that.

I immediately connected with your fish, because it has the same expression on its face that I have when I am confronted with geometry. I know that's exactly what my face looked like last week when I was trying to understand a three-sphere system. I struggled with geometry when I was in school, and I didn't start to get it until my mineralogy professor lent me a wooden set of blocks representing the crystal forms. That changed everything for me.

Thanks for creating a piece of art that really speaks to me! Have a great weekend!

Jeanie said...

I think this fish challenge is right up your line, Elizabeth! I love this one as much as yesterdays!

craftytrog said...

I love this geometric fishy page!