Thursday, May 12, 2022

Strings

 

I had planned a Second Thursday tutorial today, but learned I didn't have one of the required products needed for it.  Therefore, I will hopefully create it next month.

I finally have time to share another journal page for Art Journal JourneyMatilde of Craftowanie is our host this month and her theme is BirdsRain has opened up Thursday Art Date, or TAD so we no longer need to use her prompts unless we choose to.  I thought this would be the perfect time to share this journal page.

There are certainly no strings attached to my loving this beautiful bird I chose today. 

However, there is string in the bird's beak.

This bird might be building a nest and needs this string.

No strings here.  Just lots of splats and a bit of stamping.

Of course, I had to add some glittery string 

that I held in place with my sewing.

For this page, I started by creating splatters using my handmade shimmering mists on 110 lb cardstock.  Next, I sewed the bird and some glittery thread to the substrate using green variegated thread.  I masked off some of the bird and, using black dye ink, I stamped the chevron I made a few years ago.  I wanted some circles, so I grabbed a spool of thread, inked one end using the same black dye ink, and stamped it in three places.  This is one of my favorite spreads I have created in a long time.
 
Thank you beyond belief for taking time to visit today.   Please also join me at Rain's TAD and Art Journal Journey, where the theme this month is Birds.


31 thoughtful remarks:

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful, love the stunning design with the beautiful image

Valerie-Jael said...

This is really lovely Elizabeth, gorgeous bird, and so beautifully sewed. Have a wonderful day. Commenting is now difficult, I have no idea why Blogger puts some comments into spam. Hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

Loving your journal page - and that gorgeous bird.

Jenn Jilks said...

I love this time of year for birds! Well done.
(ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

Jackie McGuinness said...

I love the colours in this! I thought of you when I was at a museum the other day!

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful spring like colors and sweet bird and great post about it ~ Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Christine said...

Lovely page

My name is Erika. said...

This is definitely a beautiful bird.I think it might be a female western tanager. But living on the east coast it's not something I usually see so I may be off. I love your background and your stitching and cool stamping too. This is perfect for Matilde's challenge and I'm glad you had time to share it. I hope your day has been less stressful than mine. There were shipping issues with my bees, and I arrived at the PO with some breaking free and flying around the back delivery area. I was able to get things fixed up, but it was my first bee rescue. Thank goodness this didn't happen last year. hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm enjoying the bird theme, and this one is perfect for springtime with our nesting birds :)

CJ Kennedy said...

Lovely page. We had a goldfinch visit the bird feeder yesterday. Calli and Quill were very excited.

Matilde said...

It's stunning! I love the splashes at the background :)

jinxxxygirl said...

Beautiful Elizabeth! Hugs! deb

DVArtist said...

Elizabeth, this is very beautiful. Enjoy your day.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

VERY pretty page Elizabeth !!!! :) ♥♥ well done !!!

Karen said...

Terrific page with beautiful colors ~ I love the string.

Debra said...

I believe the bird is a Baltimore Oriole, or some kind of Oriole. There are a few in the US. Whatever it is-she is beautiful and so is your page. The marks with the bird are exactly perfect!

Christine said...

Lovely page

Birgit said...

This is really pretty. It is very springlike

Linda Kunsman said...

What a beautiful page Elizabeth!! I adore the bird image, and love that extra special touch with the stitching.

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

Your journal page is beautiful! Love the picture of the female Baltimore Oriole. I am a "backyard birder" and I've been waiting patiently for Baltimore Orioles to show up, which is usually right about now. They only stay for a day or two. I put out an orange half which usually attracts them. We'll see!

Iris Flavia said...

Great work, it´s a beautiful bird and background and also shows perfectly who inspired Ingo to buy me a sewing machine :-)
I owe you lots!
I also bought a set of playing cards to reproduce your card-project (I hope I find the instructions! And the time...)
And guess, tonight I dreamed of the method to get a picture (of a lion) with your water method and I put it on a cook-book (who ever knows why!).

Helen said...

Love this!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh My Elizabeth! The beautiful bird, the stripes, the shimmer , string and glitter - what an absolutely wonderful page! Huge hugs, Chrisxx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

This is a great page, the bird is a real sweetie. I'm trying to get back to art journaling again but my problem is that I am a wonderer so have too many different things going on at the same time that my poor little brain is finding it difficult to cope Lol! I need to make some cards and I've got MDF projects on the go too... I know, it's madness Lol! Happy creative weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful page! The bird image is gorgeous and you showcased it so beautifully with the colours and patterned background - perfect 😀. Happy and creative wishes! Hugs Jo x

Tom said...

...may all of your days be filled with the beauty of nature.

Jeanie said...

Your "splats and stamping" are fun but the "strings" really add some dimension and extra fun to this lovely piece!

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I love how you picked up the color in your "splats". It really tied it all together nicely especially with the string and the thread. Beautiful and creative, Elizabeth. So how do you keep Bleubeard from attacking the the thread when you sew? My kitties can't resist anything that moves and threads definitely do move :) Looks like fun and must be very satisfying when you finish. Good for you doing what you enjoy :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

Meggymay said...

This is truely a beautiful bird and I love the page you created.
Yvonne xx

Rain said...

What a beautiful page Elizabeth, that bird is beautiful and I love the stitching! ☺☺♥

Neet said...

I can understand why this is one of your favourite blog posts - such a striking page. I do like the bird you chose, unfortunately I do not know the name of it but its lovely golden colour makes ait very attractive. I imagine it is a male. (today I went by the pond in the park and saw two ducks and remarked how beautiful the male duck was and how dowdy the female.)
The chevrons are lovely as is your background, lovely shades of treen on this page.
Hugs, Neet xxx