Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Food Wednesday: herbs

 

It's time to join Kathy's Food Wednesday, where we share anything food related.  For the next few weeks I am going to discuss my herbs and how I use them.  Herbs are an important part of any meal.  

I've been buying a few herbs for several weeks now. 

However, Saturday was the annual Herb Day at the County Extension Office.  I was on a mission to buy the plants on my list, but there were many I couldn't find.  I also bought Thai basil seeds at the local garden center.  If you want to see photos of Herb Day, I hope to share those on Friday Smiles.  I sincerely hope you will drop by on Friday.

These herbs were not cheap.  In fact, I don't believe I got any bargains.  Earlier in the year, I bought a few seeds (yes, the oregano seeds were $6.00 (USD) and the ones on the far left are seeds I purchased last year that I never planted.  Most of these were flower seeds, though.

I hope to get these planted in the next week, but I can only work an hour or so after sun up, since Wichita's temps are topping 90 F (32.2 C) each day.  Adding the humidity, the feels like temp tops 95 F (35 C).  The plants in round pots were $4.00 (USD) each, as were the square beige pots in the back.  The square pots in black were $3.50 (USD) each.  I purchased five from that vendor.

I also have seeds I purchased earlier in the season and some from last year.  I may not have enough pots for all of these.

This overwintered.  I had no idea if it was something I had planted or not.

If you know what this is, please let me know in comments.
Plant net wasn't much help.  It gave different results for the top view and the side view.  None of the results were over 10% accurate, and most were about 2% according to their results.  The only result that was the same between the top and side views was goldenrod.

Back on task, here are two of my favorite herbs.  They also overwintered as this pot was left outside all winter.

This pot also wintered outside, but I know this contained dill before I harvested it last winter.

I know these are all volunteer that were caught when this pot was on the table.  Cilantro is the fresh leaves of the coriander seed/plant.  Cilantro is an acquired taste.  When I first tasted it, I didn't care for it.  Over the years, it has come to be my second favorite herb.  It's a good thing, too.  I use it in lots of dishes, from Asian to Lebanese to Mexican.  It is pungent and has a combination of lemon, sweetness, and pepper taste. 

Cilantro makes salsa sing.  It adds flair to pesto.  It even livens chicken and Thai soups. Add it at the end of the cooking process, or it will lose all its flavor (ask me how I know this).  Don't bother drying it.  It loses most of its flavor if you do. It works best when you grow it, but if you buy it, make sure it is fresh. It doesn't store well or last long in the refrigerator.

A good way to preserve cilantro is to make herb butter.  Simply combine 1/2 cup real butter with 3 teaspoons finely chopped cilantro.  You can also add 1 teaspoon lemon zest, but I seldom take time to do that. Combine and form into a ball or log.  I wrap mine in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.
 
You can also make cilantro salt that can be used in any recipe that calls for salt. Just add four parts finely chopped cilantro to one part kosher salt.  DO NOT use iodized salt, as it discolors the salt.  Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
 
I have already spent too much time showing my other herbs this week.  I will discuss my favorite herb next week.  Don't forget, I'll take you to Herb Day on Friday.

Be sure to meet me at Kathy's for Food Wednesday.  Bleubeard slept through it all even though I bought a catnip plant.
 

21 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

I have never had a cat who showed the slightest interest in catnip.
I loathe cilantro (fresh) which is apparently genetic.

Valerie-Jael said...

You have lots of wonderful herbs in your garden, enoy arvesting them. Hugs, Valerie

Valerie-Jael said...

Harvesting, not arvesting. My fingers keep playing tricks on me!

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning Elizabeth, loved your post as I love herbs too. the price of seeds has really gone up allot as are the plants too, but don't think you overpaid on your plants. Good tips with the cilantro this is an herb that people totally love or don't.
we are having the same weather-I overdid it outdoors on Monday so couldn't work yesterday. You may need to keep your herbs unplanted and in partial shade til this extreme weather breaks so they don't get too stressed.
Thank you so much for your sharing your herbs on Food Wednesdays-hugs

My name is Erika. said...

Herbs are fun to grow and I like your selection. I've picked up a few of my favorites, but both of my basil plants died, which made me sad because like you said, they aren't cheap. Luckily I have some seeds I had picked up earlier, and the basils came in a 4 pack of assorted herbs. You look like you have a nice selection. And I don't blame you either for not wanting to plant in 90 degree weather with humidity. We're getting into the 80's start tomorrow. Welcome summer I guess. I hope your week is going well. hugs-Erika

Christine said...

Lovely herbs, so rewarding planting your own!

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm excited to see your herb selection. Nice! I'm proud my parsley overwintered. It's blooming now :) I need to research to see if it'll come back again. It may be a biennial.

You can't post too many gardening photos to suit me :) I love it!

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

I'll be planting my little herb garden soon. I've tried without success to grow cilantro. It's my favorite herb.

Mae Travels said...

Our experience with growing herbs is that some succeed wonderfully and others either don’t grow well or they do grow but don’t develop any flavor. Tarragon is an example: when it does grow in a pot we don’t find that it tastes like anything. But we like a good quality jar of dried tarragon, or rarely a bunch that a farmer grew.

Good luck with your garden!

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Iris Flavia said...

Nothing better than fresh herbs! Sadly also here rather expensive. But since I have a herbs-rack I should go for it, too :-)

Sami said...

Enjoy the herb garden :)

jinxxxygirl said...

I look forward to your instructions on how to use the herbs... Even non food related uses would be appreciated! Hugs! deb

craftytrog said...

A great selection of herbs Elizabeth. My hubby is the gardener, and the more adventurous cook, so he grows them and uses them. I wouldn't know where to start! The only herb I do use is parsley, when I cook fish.

DVArtist said...

Nice looking herbs. There is no rain today but it is cold. I wanted to plant herbs today. I like cilantro, however, MR. M. doesn't. Have fun planting the herbs.

Rain said...

I can't get enough of Cilantro!!! It doesn't grow well here because it's not warm enough, but some years I get lucky! ☺ Oh the price of seeds has skyrocketed since Covid...I made a vow to start seed saving in the next few years. It's something I have to learn how to do!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

best fishes with the garden this year Elizabeth; the herbs along with anything and everything, seem to have sky rocketed pricing; and sadly; with things such as fresh herbs, veggie seeds, flowers etc. if one can't afford to "buy" these items set on the shelf going to waste ~~~

wavez two ewe bleu and squiggles !!!

Linda Kunsman said...

How nice to have such variety for your herb garden! I thought about trying a small herb garden for the first time but hubby is redoing an area I would have put them so I'll try next year:)

Sandra Cox said...

Good gracious. It's hotter there than here.
I bet you're an amazing cook.

Lowcarb team member said...

Your herb garden looks and sounds so good.
It is lovely to use herbs in cooking isn't it.

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

Your garden is looking great, Elizabeth. The only thing I've planted are basil seeds and they seem to be taking their own sweet time coming up. I wonder if the squirrels got at 'em, digging their holes and maybe "replanting them" too far down. We will see -- time will tell.

Debra said...

Your garden will be lovely~