Monday, May 30, 2022

Six days of work and an epic fail

 

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.9x_9s_vWMcf0TqT67aoQWgHaEc%26pid%3DApi&f=1  For those of us who live in the states, today is Memorial Day, the day in which we honor our service people who died in the service to our country.  Not to be confused with Veterans Day in November, which honors all who serve or served, Memorial Day is specifically for those who fell in the line of duty.  Honor them today, please.

Some of you may have noticed I was offline from early Thursday to Sunday, first due to a lightening strike that took out my electricity, then, when I tried to restart my computer once the electricity was back on, something was fried inside.  Thankfully, Scott knew what the problem was when I called him.  He ordered the part from Amazon and showed up Sunday to install it.  I have a LOT of catching up to do.

This will be my final entry for Art Journal Journey using our host Matilde of Craftowanie's theme which is Birds.  I want to thank Matilde for all the beautiful art she has given us this month.  Not only has she given us beautiful and inspiring art, she has been the perfect host.  I look forward to her joining us as a host next year, too.  

I spent six days on this and I created an epic fail.  More on that later.  I believe this is the smallest altered book I have ever created.  It is 1 inch square (2.54 centimeters square not 25.4 cm, as Valerie pointed out.  My bad.  I put the period in the wrong place).  This is the front cover.  
 
The book is held together using two plastic rings which at one time were free when you picked up a certain brand of matching or contrasting paint chip samples.  If you live in the states, they came from the paint department at Home Depot.  I added silver feathers, two on the bottom and one on the top rings.  To cover the openings on the rings which I glued shut, I added hand dyed (by me) lace.

You are now looking at the inside cover and the first page of the book that takes you through all the seasons.  Note the bird on the inside cover was glued at a 90 degree angle.  That should have been a forewarning and stopped me.  But I persisted.

Looks like spring is about to arrive in the garden.  I tried to match the colors in the paintings to the background colors (the squares).

Spring and new life have definitely arrived in this little book.

More spring in the garden.  I apologize.  Not only do I have an epic fail with the book, it appears my photos have failed, too.  Of course, I was taking these and the photos directly above this one at the time the electricity went off in my neighborhood due to a lightening strike.

Summer has now arrived and I still have no electricity in my home.

I decided to wait for the electricity to come back on to get at least partially decent photos.

Summer was looking good until I used my crop-a-dile to cut holes in the wrong spot in the squares.

I didn't even notice at first and kept punching holes on the wrong edge.

That meant autumn and winter were affected.  Not only were they punched incorrectly, it meant the reverse sides were incorrect, too. 

Winter is on its way and I am devastated.  I put SO much time into this book, only to mess up in the end.

We'll soon be celebrating Christmas in the bird book.  Note the back inside page is on the bottom in the photo.

It's too bad this bird needed to be rotated in order to see it properly.

Finally, my least favorite birds grace the back cover.  Too bad the image had to be rotated in order to appreciate it.

All of the birds were found in a calendar with the exception of the two covers and their inside fronts.  Those images were fussy cut from a book on birds Erika gave me for my birthday.  I first fussy cut each of the images, then glued them to one inch squares.  I then flattened each one overnight, then glued the pages back to back using white PVA glue.  I punched the squares, some in the wrong location using my beloved Crop-a-dile.  We all know the saying "measure twice, cut once."  I need to add make sure to both measure twice and check position twice.

Thanks for sticking with me through this tragedy stupid move on my part.  You still have another day to create something for Art Journal Journey's Bird challenge before we introduce a new host on the 1st.
 

16 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

I'm sorry you've had such problems with your power and then the computer but glad you are back now! thanks for sharing your bird book.

Elephant's Child said...

I am very sorry you had such a difficult time. Your tiny book has beauty - even if it isn't what you intended/hoped for.
And I do hope your power/computer woes are things of the past.
Hugs.

Valerie-Jael said...

I like your little book, but I think your math is wrong, because one square inch is never 25.4 centimeters! Glad you now have your electricity etc back. Have a great week, Valerie

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, so sorry you got zapped again with the electric-you must be in a spot that gets hit allot-there is an area in Springfield Mo that gets hit like that on a regular basis too.
I love your little book even though some of the pages are turned. and I see you used the same page from a calendar that I used too for a journal page. this is a very sweet little book Elizabeth

pearshapedcrafting said...

So sorry to hear of another power failure - thank goodness Scott could persuade your computer to work again! I love this little journal - rotating a journal isn't a problem for me (although I have some unintended upside down pages in most journals!!) Hugs, Chris

CJ Kennedy said...

I don't think it's a fail. Call it a meander book where you have to wander through the pages. It's so much fun to have an interactive book.

Mae Travels said...

Bird seasons are fascinating. Right now we have stopped seeing the migrating birds because almost all of them are now in their nesting grounds. It’s harder to see birds after the leaves fully grow in, so birding isn’t as much fun in summer in the north. However, we can see a few birds nesting and little ones fledging. Then in the autumn, there will be another migration. In winter sometimes we see flocks of unusual birds that stay in our area for a brief time and then move on.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Nancy said...

Power failures are pretty trying, especially when you also had computer damage. So glad you "know someone"- he's a whiz at repairs that otherwise would take more time and be more costly. Oh my, I'm sure you felt disappointed when you realized your error on the little book. But the theme is so inviting, and the size, too. Errors only show something is handmade. We've been enjoying bird watching this spring, too. One bluebird family started with 4 or 5 eggs, but only one fledgling made it. But that's one more pretty bluebird in the bird population.

Christine said...

Glad your power issues are settled. Beautiful book

My name is Erika. said...

I wonder why you call this book an epic fail. I like seeing all the birds. And it was a great way to recycle your calendar images too. Happy Monday. See you tonight for T. hugs-Erika

craftytrog said...

What a gorgeous tiny book Elizabeth! Hope your power is all restored now. I'm also catching up, after a busy week.

DVArtist said...

We had a storm from hell this weekend and lost power as well. Glad you are back on line. This is a lovely journal and I see no fail at all. Have a great day today.

Gene Black said...

What a sweet book with all the birds in it.

Jeanie said...

What a lovely bird journal, Elizabeth. I'm not sure where the fail is! Welcome back power!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Lovely bird art. I'm sorry to hear about your power (and computer).

Barbara said...

I love this little book! The smallest I’ve ever made was with a cocoon for front and back covers and with one word pages between. I love small!