Monday, April 11, 2022

Summer Days/Summer Nights

 

I'm once again joining Alison, aka Craftytrog, our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  Her theme is Play it again, Sam.

My latest contribution to Alison's theme is both a song and a movie.

On all four corners, I sewed four used Reese's peanut butter cup wrappers.  The many things I must submit to in order to make art (grin).  I tried to cut them in half, but one edge showed, no matter which way I positioned it.  That's when I realized I had to use an entire wrapper on each corner.

This is one of the songs from Grease.  This was sung by both Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta.  Note how each interpreted the encounter differently.

Needless to say, there was lots of singing, lots of dancing, and lots of romancing between these two stars of the film.

In retrospect, I believe the name of the song is simply Summer Nights.

One of the reasons I sewed the wrappers to the edges of the pages was to hide the fact I cut the edge of the used file folder.  I was so lucky to find an ad for a Stampington CD that would print the focal image.  The backing image was from that same page and it advertised their new papers they were selling.  I believe this was one of their magazines from 2009.  I used another used file folder to create the words, this time I colored the words using a red watercolor.

For Day 11 of 22, I sewed four peanut butter cup wrappers to a used file folder.  I also sewed portions of another used file folder I colored red after I computer generated the words.  The images, as noted were from a magazine ad, and the vintage sheet music was left over from another project.  New items were red watercolor and variegated thread.

Thanks ever so much for joining Bleubeard and me today.  Thanks, too, for your kindness and support of my recycling projects.  I hope you will also join Bleubeard and me, as we join Alison at Art Journal Journey with your own Play it again, Sam journal art.  
 
For those not familiar with the song, these are the rest of the lyrics not shown in the journal page:
 
Uh well-a well-a well-a huh!

Tell me more, tell me more
Did you get very far?
Tell me more, tell me more
Like does he have a car?
Uh-huh uh-huh uh-huh uh-huh

She swam by me, she got a cramp
He ran by me, got my suit damp
I saved her life, she nearly drowned
He showed off, splashing around
Summer sun, something's begun
But ah, oh, those summer nights

Uh well-a well-a well-a huh!

Tell me more, tell me more
Was it love at first sight?
Tell me more, tell me more
Did she put up a fight?

Uh-huh uh-huh uh-huh uh-huh

Took her bowling in the arcade
We went strolling, drank lemonade
We made out under the dock
We stayed out 'til ten o'clock
Summer fling, don't mean a thing
But ah, oh, those summer nights

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

Tell me more, tell me more
But you don't gotta brag
Tell me more, tell me more
'Cause he sounds like a drag

Shoo-bop bop, shoo-bop bop, shoo-bop bop, shoo-bop bop
Shoo-bop bop, shoo-bop bop, shoo-bop bop, yeah!

He got friendly, holding my hand
Well, she got friendly down in the sand
He was sweet, just turned eighteen
Well, she was good, you know what I mean
Summer heat, boy and girl meet
But ah, oh, those summer nights

Whoa, whoa, whoa!
Tell me more, tell me more
How much dough did he spend?
Tell me more, tell me more
Could she get me a friend?
It turned colder, that's where it ends
So I told her we'd still be friends
Then we made our true love vow
Wonder what she's doing now
Summer dreams ripped at the seams
But oh, those summer nights...
Tell me more, tell me more...
 

14 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

What a clever and fun take on this classic.

Birgit said...

I love that you used the peanut butter cup holders for the edges. I don’t see but love what you did with those cups as it centers the middle image. Love that image which goes well with that song. Girls are so dream like and boys( and men) are pigs:).

Mae Travels said...

I remember seeing that movie, or at least I think Isaw it. Long time ago!
Did Reese’s peanut butter cups have a role? I know that Reese’s pieces were a key plot element in ET, because the movie people didn’t get permission to use M&Ms which was a big mistake.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

Grease is a classic film. We still watch it in my house every now and again. And I like your page with that song too. And life is tough when you need to eat peanut butter cups for your art-ha-ha! They work great on your page, and I bet they tasted yummy too.I thought the girl in your focal image was Olivia Newton-John until I looked at the close up. This is a really fun page and perfect for Alison's challenge. Have a great start to the week, and see you tonight for T. hugs-Erika

Valerie-Jael said...

Fantastic piece. How brave of you to eat the peanut butter cups to get crafting supplies, so admirable! And a good reminded to treat myself to some peanut butter cups soon! Could you please link me this evening? This time in 2 weeks I will be home! Hugs, Valerie

craftytrog said...

I absolutely love this page Elizabeth, that image is perfect, it looks just like Sandy and Danny. Takes me right back to seeing Grease at the cinema with my friend. It think it may have been the first time I went to the cinema without my parents!
Happy new week,
Alison

Sandra Cox said...

Who'd have thought of using Peanut Butter Cup wrappers. You're amazing.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

this is one of my mom's favorite "mewsicalz" ! nice job Elizabeth ♥

wavez two ewe bleu N squiggles; hope yur mondayz a grate one ☺☺

Jeanie said...

This is a wonderful representation of that song. I love the colors you chose and the placement of the graphics. Very nice, Elizabeth!

Jenn Jilks said...

What a great hobby, or is it a passion?!

Divers and Sundry said...

That's an interesting movie from a feminist perspective. I think it'd make a good subject for discussion.

Debra said...

I loved this page-it's fantastic!

Meggymay said...

It took me back many years as I looked at this fantastic page, this was a real classic film then and now.
Yvonne xx

Neet said...

I must remember next time I go shopping I need some of those peanut butter cups - for my art work of course. Love them!
What a great choice and page you have given us today Elizabeth. Love that song, in fact it is now buzzing around in my head and it will take a while to get out but it makes me feel happy so what the heck.
Hugs, Neet xxx