Thursday, April 7, 2022

San Juan, Puerto Rico

 

Today Bleubeard and I are continuing our venture in the Caribbean.   I want to start by saying the background to today's art was created back in late March.

Now that we have visited Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, and learned a bit about Puerto Rico, we are headed to San Juan, Puerto Rico.
 
 I apologize if this is a bit hard to read.  I took this information directly from the cruise magazine.

I cut this from my Merriam-Webster pocket dictionary I picked up years ago at a garage sale.

Activities include playing golf at renown golf courses, visiting the fort in Old San Juan, and horseback riding on the beach.  
 
That beach image gave me an idea.

I dug through my stash of shells and added some to the spread.  Although I am having trouble getting my new camera to take decent close-ups, I am joining Creative Artiste's 81st Challenge, where their theme is always Anything Mixed Media Goes.

To qualify for Creative Artiste, I must have a minimum of three mediums.  I began this spread by combining yellow, turquoise, and blue Staz-on reinkers to 91% isopropyl alcohol, which I painted onto 110 lb. cardstock.  This was new cardstock.  I held the blurb I cut from the cruise brochure and the dictionary definition and map to the page/substrate using the washi tape I am using for all my Caribbean spreads.  The cost of the washi tape I used is minuscule.  I backed the images I cut from two cruise brochures with mattes made from a used security envelope.  Finally, I added five sea shells from my stash.

Thank you beyond belief for stopping by today.  This is Day 7 of 22 days of recycling, and I used images from two travel brochures, a used security envelope, shells I picked up on beaches or were given to me, and a used dictionary image.  Please also join Bleubeard and me at Creative Artiste Bleubeard wants to visit and tour the Bacardi Rum Distillery.  
 
AND:
 
Shamelessly stolen borrowed from Sandra's blog.
The countdown has already begun.  Look for it on April 22 and visit Sandra's blog for more details on her latest book.


19 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

I really, really like travelling with you. Thank you.

Valerie-Jael said...

This was another fun journey, thanks! Have a great day, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Ahhh, thank you for this pleasant break from another chaotic work day.
Day 4 here, 3 people, 3 different things to work at - I really needed to see a beach!

Mia said...

Great Caribbean spread, Elizabeth. I love how you combined all together. The shells are great embellishment. Hugs, my friend.

kathyinozarks said...

awesome page Elizabeth, I enjoy your trip pages very much, and great way to recycle too

CJ Kennedy said...

Another exotic place that has me dreaming of the beach especially on this raw, rainy morning.

Mae Travels said...

Bringing shells back from a beach vacation used to seem totally ordinary and we did it all the time, as you did, and it was such an innocent choice. But that was then --- now (like a lot of such things) it seems irresponsible because collectors have denuded the beaches completely of anything they can collect. So sad that so many resources have been exhausted by too many people taking too much. The world is a sadder place!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Divers and Sundry said...

Warm, sunny beaches. Sign me up! :)

Meggymay said...

This looks a lovely warm destination, a great recycled page with the shells you found to add.
Yvonne xx

jinxxxygirl said...

Elizabeth i forget .. is this an AlteredBook your creating or separate pages to be put together later?? Its fabulous! I often use security envelopes in my Altered Book and PostCard art along with Dictionary pages.. A great way to get rid of the 'WHITE PAGE'!! lol Hugs! deb

My name is Erika. said...

Sandra's new book sounds a little bit scary. But I'll take San Juan. I'm glad you brought us there, as I was commenting to you about it yesterday and it is good to see it. I like how you used that envelope backing (still haven't gotten a backed envelope since we chatted about this what a month ago?) and I also like how you added the shells. They do add a great touch and give it a real tropical feel, especially with your turquoise in the background. What a fun page. Hugs-Erika

DVArtist said...

It's so much fun traveling the world with you. Have a lovely day.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

dood....we dinna noe ewe waz old enuff ta drink !!! ;) ♥♥☺☺

heerz hopin ewe N squiggles haz a... get inta trubull kinda week end; we are offline two morrow sew N joy :) ♥♥☺☺

Sandra Cox said...

I love the shells. A purrfect addition to your piece.
Thank you so much for the shout out:) Appreciate ya, dear Elizabeth.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

You always take us on a journey like we've already been there, so many wonderful places to visit in our beautiful world. We all need to do our bit to help protect it. The addition of the shells was a clever mixed media addition.
Thanks for sharing the journey @ Creative Artiste. Hugs Tracey xx

craftytrog said...

Another beautiful layout. I love the added shells.

carol l mckenna said...

Awesome artistic journey with you ~ so well done ~ Xo

Wishing you love and laughter in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Lowcarb team member said...

... another good journey :)

All the best Jan

Debra said...

This is a beautiful project.