Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Our next island in the Caribbean

 

I want to begin by saying the background to today's art was created back in late March.

It's now time to visit Puerto Rico, the next island in the chain.
 
Puerto Rico was colonized by Spain, after being taken over by Columbus in 1493.  Puerto Rico remained under Spanish control until 1898, when the U.S. acquired Puerto Rico following the Spanish-American War.  Puerto Ricans have been U.S. citizens since 1917, but because they are unincorporated, they are not allowed to vote for the President or Vice President, nor do they have a vote in Congress, although there has been some talk about incorporating the island. 

A good map

may be helpful for those of us who are geographically challenged.  
 
Although my scanner is on its last leg, I decided to scan this so you can see where we are.
 

We will be heading to the capital of Puerto Rico, which is San Juan.  That population count is from the 1980s, when this dictionary was printed.  According to the 2020 census, the current population is slightly more than 342,000.
 
I decided to scan this so you can actually read it, even though the population is outdated.
 

These cobblestone streets are actually "settes."  Settes are usually made of granite, and are made a specific size, where cobblestones are usually round rocks.  They were originally used on streets that provided horses' hooves a better grip.  Now they are mostly considered decorative.  However, in the travel magazines, they are called cobblestones.

Today is Day 6 of 22, and I sadly only recycled one image from a cruise ship magazine, a definition from my old pocket dictionary I've had since the 1980s and the map, which I printed on the back of a sheet of previously printed copier/printer paper.  Not a good recycle day, but at least I tried.


 

14 thoughtful remarks:

Cindy McMath said...

Wow I love that pink building! Cobblestones are tough to walk on for humans as well as horses - these look at lot better!

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, those colors - you can literally feel the warmth of the Caribbean!
Jamaica we´ve visited and you know what I remember apart from being the first in the ocean - that darn rooster that NEVER let us sleep in! D'oh!!!
What a holiday that was.

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you for continuing my education. In such a beautiful way.

Mae Travels said...

San Juan has some very interesting historical buildings, including an old Spanish fort. I enjoyed visiting PR a couple of times, and seeing the landscapes as well as the cities. Tropical places often have beautifully painted houses, as you illustrated.


Best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

CJ Kennedy said...

Another great trip on a dreary, rainy day. I'd also like to venture to Arecibo to see observatory and to see how the repairs to the telescope are coming along.

Jeanie said...

I think we've all learned a lot from your "trips!" Lots of research and creativity here!

My name is Erika. said...

I'm glad we're traveling up the chain and get to visit Puerto Rico. They received so little respect from Trump when the hurricane hit them, and they need to be recognized. They need a vote. I learned from some students that if you are from Puerto Rico and live on the Mainland (as they called it), here in the main US, you are able to vote, but if you are on the island, even though you are a citizen, you can't. It seems a wacky situation to me. I am guessing it is the same for the US Virgin Islands and Guam too. I like your page and the map as I'm not too familiar with the order of the leeward islands. I bet old San Juan is pretty. Thanks for sharing, and happy Wednesday. hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

The discussion of whether or not to offer Puerto Rico statehood is an interesting one. It crops up every once in a while but doesn't seem to have staying power.

Sami said...

Those cobblestones streets are similar that what we have in Lisbon's city centre and many other Portuguese cities as well as in Spain.
That street looks so pretty with the red building.

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful page, perhaps you can take me with you on your next trip, I could do with a change! Hugs, Valerie

da tabbies o trout towne said...

I wonder if the "posts" were used to hitch horses to; perhaps used today for bicycles ??

Jenn Jilks said...

Very interesting history. I don't know much about this area.

craftytrog said...

That Puerto Rico street looks beautiful, such wonderful colours!

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like the look of the cobblestone streets.

All the best Jan