Wednesday, March 30, 2022

A visit to Puerto Plata

 

Bleubeard and I finally have a tentative itinerary for visiting the Caribbean.  I'm sure many of you saw the various maps of the Caribbean I showed here.  One island, the largest of all, is Cuba.  Some of you will remember Bleubeard and I visited there in 2019.  At that time, I gave a brief history of Cuba and its policies which led up to President Obama announcing the U.S. would resume full diplomatic relations with Cuba, which included opening an embassy in Havana beginning in December, 2014.  It was not long after that I began receiving cruise line information about Cuba.  For at least two years, I got information on how to take a cruise from Miami to Cuba.  However, the tables turned quickly, and Cuba is no longer offered on any cruises to the Caribbean.  That's why we now start in Hispaniola.  There are two countries in Hispaniola: Haiti and the Dominican Republic.  We will be spending time in the Dominican Republic and joining Valerie at Bastelmania, our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  Her theme is Spring.  This is my penultimate entry for Valerie's theme this month.

Our first stop is Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic.

As I explained above, the Dominican Republic is  a country located on the island of Hispaniola.

It has beautiful beaches, pink sand, clear blue water, and palm trees.

Colorful dancing is often seen on the many privatized cruise docks in Puerto Plata.

Located in the Greater Antilles archipelago of the Caribbean, it is shared with Haiti.

The Dominican Republic is the second largest nation in the Antilles by area after Cuba.

One of the cities is Puerto Plata, which we are visiting today.

I added the piece of washi tape I use in every Caribbean spread.

A good map of the Dominican Republic

shows all the important cities

Then I found a photo of the San Felipe Fort

and had to revise my spread.

It was easy enough to move the washi tape and add the fort at the bottom of the spread.  I started this page by combining three staz-on colors and 91% isopropyl alcohol I applied to 110 lb cardstock.  The images, all found in different cruise magazines, were backed with pieces of a security envelope.  The map came from the internet.  I computer generated the words, cut them, then outlined them in either red or green water soluble crayons.

Thank you beyond belief for stopping by today.  I am truly grateful to you, my dear friends, followers, readers, and lurkers for visiting.  Please also join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey with your journaling ideas of Spring.  You still have time to share one last Spring inspired journal page.

16 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

Simply lovely. Again.

Iris Flavia said...

Ahhh, how nice would that be, your page looks so promising, especially today.
I have my hot microwave tiger in my lap, hot tea in front, heating is on and I´m still cold.
Soon off to the doc in -1C / 30F.
At least the sun is shining like in your first shot.
To travels and warm weather!

My name is Erika. said...

A spring trip would be nice. I'm not sure the Dominican is high on my travel list, but Cuba is. Lots of people from around here go there (The Dominican, and with covid, I guess it's not a good place to visit. OK, enough of that babbling. I love you page and your trip to the Dominican. Is that black paper or tape around your photos? It makes a stunning background. And I like you page background too.I always enjoy your travel pages my friend, especially how they are fun and educational too. Have a great middle of the week. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

With Winter still gripping tightly, a trip to the tropics would be so lovely.

DVArtist said...

I would love a spring trip to a place like this. Lovely how you put it all together. Have a wonderful day.

Christine said...

I have been to a resort in the Dominican one year.

Jeanie said...

I love how you did the background with the beautiful blue water! Now, that's an itinerary I would love right now! You have such fun researching and creating your art. I love that!

carol l mckenna said...

Creative and lovely collage effect of a beautiful trip ~ Xo

Wishing you love and laughter everyday,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Darla said...

Enjoyed the trip. I went back for a second look to focus on the backgrounds. I'm interested in backgrounds these days. I know you have a tutorial for your spray inks somewhere. Gotta look that up. You always inspire me.

Mae Travels said...

The Caribbean islands used to be our favorite destination, and we often took vacations there, but more recently we have come to prefer Hawaii. Until Covid shut us down, that is!

Your photos make me think of many lovely experiences, though you did not mention our top favorites: scuba and snorkeling. Underwater there are wonders that you can't imagine. I suspect that Bluebeard would not take to this sport, but would rather you just brought him a fish.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

da tabbies o trout towne said...

I could SOOOOO be at photo one right now !!!

bleu and squiggles; hope yur weekz goin grate !! =^..^= ♥☺

Rain said...

Hi Elizabeth! ☺ All of those photos make me want to travel somewhere warm!!!

My name is Erika. said...

I've never seen black inside of a safety envelope. I need to keep my eyes open if I receive any with black. It does make a great paper. And nice recycling too!

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful page, this is another place I would love to visit!
Thanks for another beautiful page for my challenge at AJJ, much appreciated! Hugs, Valerie

Divers and Sundry said...

It's quite cold here today -we even had a frost warning last night- and a trip to those warm, sunny beaches would be nice.

NatureFootstep said...

will probably be a great trip :)
Thanks for the map, now I know where it is :)