Monday, February 14, 2022

T Stands For Altered Playing Cards

 

I had planned a different post today, but because I was unable to finish my altered playing card journal I started for my Second Thursday Tutorial, I promised to show the pages I managed to alter for T this Tuesday.

This is how the altered playing card journal started.

I managed to finish the front and back covers on Thursday,

so this is where we'll start today.  There were six playing cards that I backed with coffee dyed paper, giving me a total of 12 pages.

You are looking at pages 2 and 3.

This is definitely my style of collage, the theme Bleubeard and I are sharing daily at Art Journal Journey.  It's hard for me to work small, but it's also a tribute to Art Journal Journey's new "rule" allowing the much smaller journal size.  I've included an old cigar band, theater ticket, and image of a woman using an old telephone.  It's my idea of collage.
 
For the opposing page, I cut two crowns and a circle (both Martha Stewart punches) and stamped a tea cup in the circle.  After I had photographed the page, I decided I didn't like the crown on the queen, so removed it.  I use it on another page, but you can see I hadn't really stuck it down well, so I was able to remove it without damaging the tea bag or card underneath.

You are looking at pages 4 and 5.  This is my idea of a collage with a bit of humor.

Originally, I only planned to use the tea tag, but when I saw the tea bag holder, I couldn't resist using both.  In case you need a translation: Do Lipton employees take coffee breaks?

I created another collage on the King's side of the spread.  I like interactive pieces, and the butterfly just begs to be touched and its wings spread.

Move the wings and you see more of the collage I created.

These are pages 6 and 7.  I had to get hearts and coffee somewhere on the pages to honor Valentine's Day. 

My hearts are bright red and shiny, so in order to tone them down, I scratched them using my scissors.  Besides the hearts, I used a ticket, gifted washi tapes, and a fussy cut coffee cup I colored using a gel pen.

For the opposing side, I computer generated a saying I found on the internet, along with images from a Chinese book of words and phrases.  

The saying: There is no life without water because water is needed to make coffee.  When I realized I had covered the queen's face at the bottom, I stamped the cup upside down so the queen would have something to drink.  At the top is the crown I removed from the previous queen.

I will share the final four pages when I have them completed.

It's now time to share your own drink inspired post this week.  It can be gifts you received, photos, a place you visited, movies, postcards, mail art, junk mail, catalogs, books, sketches, mixed media, drawings, paintings, handmade cards, tags, scrapbooking, or other art that is digital, hybrid, or traditional, a favorite mug, cup and saucer, teapot, coffee pot, or even a wine glass. Regardless, please share below and Bleubeard and I, along with the rest of the T gang will be by to visit.   Please link only your T post and not your blog in general.  Bleubeard would like to remind you that old photos are acceptable because they may be taken any time, not just on Tuesday and not just this year.



 
Bleubeard and I are delighted you joined us for T this week and hope to also see you at Art Journal Journey with your own interpretation of What's your style?

 

27 thoughtful remarks:

Mae Travels said...

Where’s the Queen of Hearts? She should be here for Valentine’s Day. I hope you are having a happy one.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Sharon Madson said...

This is such a cute little journal, Elizabeth! And, I see you even have a page with a “ticket” to the tea party! LOL

Lisca said...

What a cute journal. It must be strange to work with such small things. A bit fiddly as they say in England. And yes, it is your style, the teabag colour etc.
And thank you, I have now learnt two Chinese words.
I loved seeing the cigar band. I used to collect those as a child.
Happy T-Day,
Lisca

kathyinozarks said...

I really love your journal book-it is really sweet and the pages are so fun. thanks for the tutorial on this too
Happy T Kathy

Linda Kunsman said...

A unique and clever little journal. You certainly packed a punch on these very small substrates! I can only imagine the coloring and fussy cutting of those teacups. The butterfly popping off the one page is such a great touch!
Thanks for sharing this fab little journal, and happy T day!

Carola Bartz said...

What a cool idea to make an altered book from playing cards! I like it - I need to learn how to make coffee dyed paper because it looks so good. I love the aged look and that you can still see what is beneath it.

My name is Erika. said...

This is an amazing journal dear Elizabeth. I love it. It really turned out fabulous, and perfect for T day too. I still love those cool beads on the binding. It is a fantastic collection of images too. I love the question about Lipton employees taking coffee breaks. Ha ha. I bet they do. I hope the new week has started well and you have a lovely T day. hugs-Erika

Elephant's Child said...

LOVE the addition of the flutterby.

Iris Flavia said...

Love this! Oh, do they drink coffee in their break from tea? LOL, too funny. When we can go to Jürgen´s Brewery again I think I ask the guys if they have wine in their breaks.
And yes. We will buy tickets and go to events, you are right, life will come back, great pages!

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful post and gorgeous teacups.. xx

CJ Kennedy said...

Sweet journal. I've seen ATCs made from playing cards, but never thought to use them to make a book. Happy T Day

Divers and Sundry said...

It's such a cool use for one of the deck-of-51 situations :) Happy T Tuesday!

Jenn Jilks said...

Such a delightful hobby!

DVArtist said...

This is so imaginative and creative. Love it so much.

Cloudia said...

You are a font of creativity!

Debra said...

Oh I loved this!!!! So many wonderful images. You are very creative! Oh-P.S. on my blog, I knew you knew the video wasn't mine, but a few others didn't, so I felt I really had to make sure Lynn got the right credit.

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a fun mini journal! It's a wonderful way to re-use those playing cards with all those fabulous designs - amazing 😀. Happy T Day! Hugs Jo x

craftytrog said...

I love all of your miniature pages Elizabeth, they look amazing on those altered playing cards.
Alison

Valerie-Jael said...

Your tea cards are gorgeous, wonderful idea! Happy T Day, take care, hugs, Valerie

Sandra Cox said...

These are great. Love them. And the 'there's no coffee without water'...hilarious.

bread&salt said...

What a beautiful, unique and special Journal book. Especially Lipton green-tea page looks so nice. Thanks for sharing. Have a nice day. Greetings.

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a brilliant mini journal and great to see it being put together. Happy T Day, hugs, Chrisx

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a brilliant mini journal and great to see it being put together. Happy T Day, hugs, Chrisx

Spyder said...

I love these cards. What a great idea...we found something a little amusing at a sad time, going through some of Lady Pam's things... a little leather prayer book...but when opened instead of prayers it's a book of well thumped playing cards! Sorry not been about but time these days just seems to fly by...and before you know where you are, you're there! Happy Tuesday for tea. ((Lyn))

Meggymay said...

Wow, this looks an amazing, mini journal you are creating using those cards.
It is a super idea to have them altogether as a collection.
Stay safe. Yvonne xx

Jeanie said...

Your playing card book is a delightful project. I love the treatment on the cards and they're such fun and all unique and lovely. What a good idea.

Empire of the Cat said...

This is so clever, I love the playing cards/tea combo, great idea. Sorry for my lateness, it's been quite the week Happy belated T Day Elle/EOTC xx