Sunday, February 20, 2022

Ancestors

 

 By now I'm fairly certain you know Bleubeard and I are hosting Art Journal Journey this month.  Our theme is What's Your Style? 

We have named this spread Ancestors.

First a few detail shots.






I started this page washing over a sheet of 110 lb cardstock with yellow and red watercolors.  Some areas turned a brown/orange due to color mixing.  When dry, I tore the focal image, a painting, from an art book.  I then colored around it using a brown dye ink pad I accidentally dropped on the image.   
 
The painting reminded me of one of those where you could dress in old time clothing and pose for a souvenir photo from your museum (or possibly old west) tour.  That encouraged me to add the lace and the tickets on the right side of the page.  I tried to hide the tickets just enough so they would be visible, but not in-your-face.  Finally, I added the word Ancestor because that was the name on the plaque at the bottom of the painting.

In addition to Art Journal Journey, Bleubeard and I would like to enter this at River of Creativity, where their 10th challenge is Anything Goes.  
 
We would also like to enter this at Creative Artiste Mixed Media, where their February challenge is #79 and is always "Anything Mixed Media Goes."  Requirements are to use multiple media.  I used two watercolors for the background, an image from an art book, computer generated text, brown dye ink, lace, and tickets. 
 
Bleubeard and I are delighted you joined us and hope to see you at Art Journal Journey with your own interpretation of What's your style?, mine being mixed media today.  We are also delighted to be joining Creative Artiste Mixed Media and River of Creativity.  We just want to say how grateful we are to have you join us on this month long journey.

For those of you who are interested, Squiggles is marginally better.  I thought for sure he would not live through the night on Thursday.  I was prepared for the worst and cried most of the night.  But a miracle occurred and he is, as I said before, marginally better.  More details tomorrow.


20 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Hope poor Squiggles is soon better, I an imagine how much this upset you. Your journal page is great, love the photo you used, and the lace is a great addition. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

I indeed wondered what is underneath the beautiful textile thing!
Very well done, love the whole "package" as in background, pic and all, and certainly it makes one think. Only one child? And the woman looks away from her husband. Yet she smiles. But maybe bitterly.
The moustache is hilarious and am I glad I live today. We have different difficulties, but we have options.

Hope Squiggles is soon happily playing again!
Maybe Ingo is right. I sure would have a very hard time with a cat if sick or worse. I cried my eyes out when my mouse, who was a Grandma at age 2 1/2 passed away.

Zoechaos said...

As genealogy is another of my interests/hobbies you will understand that this page excited me. I love the aged feel of it along with all the carefully chosen and placed embellishments you have included. It simply delights me that you found us and are joining in so much this month at River of Creativity. xx

Mae Travels said...

You reminded me of the old photo studio at Greenfield Village in Dearborn, MI. Until some time in the 1980s they offered subjects for the photos not only antique clothing, but actual antique photo equipment, including the props to hold one's head still during the long exposure needed for that technology. The resulting images were fantastic. But the process required some chemicals that were no longer allowed to be used, so they changed to modern cameras and film. Sad.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Helen said...

glad to read Squiggles is a little better, hope for more positive news soon. A great page of ancestors - I went with a friend somewhere where we dressed up for a photo... wonder whatever happened to that! Can't even remember where it was, though Windsor rings a bell.

thanks for your comment on the Kew trip yesterday. it was certainly sad to see the damage and yes, at least one tree completely uprooted.
hope you and Squiggles take care.

kathyinozarks said...

healing prayers for Squiggles

Divers and Sundry said...

What a sweet family piece. I'm sorry Squiggles has been so ill and hope and trust he'll be improving by now and well soon.

pearshapedcrafting said...

This really does appeal to me! - I am fascinated by front porches as an area for sitting out on, especially if they are in the sunshine! I must say that man's moustache looks very much as though it comes from a dressing box!
I do hope Squiggles rallies round a bit more soon!
Take Care, Hugs, Chrisx

brenda said...

What a great sepia image, they always give such detail, a super page, thanks for sharing with us at River of Creativity.

B x

CJ Kennedy said...

That does look like the dress up in the Old Wild West style. It also reminds me of a visit to an antique shop. They had a cardboard box full of old portraits and family photos listed as Instant Relatives. So glad to hear that Squiggles is doing better.

Jeanie said...

Thank you for the update on Squiggles. I've been very concerned about him and hoping that he will be fully well soon. You must have been terribly frightened and sad this weekend. I'm glad things are taking a turn for the better and will look forward to your update.

craftytrog said...

A wonderful page Elizabeth.
I was wondering about Squiggles, glad he's a little better.
Alison

NatureFootstep said...

ancestors! Cool,I have in my possessions my grandmothers albums as well as my parents. I have one image of an old woman four generations back. :)

My name is Erika. said...

I have one of those old time photos the hubby and I did in Lake Tahoe back before we were married. And you are right, this image does remind me of one of those. I like that is family has 2 dogs-smile. I also like the lace you added. It is not only pretty but adds some great texture to the page. I hope you had a wonderful weekend. Hugs-Erika

Lowcarb team member said...

You have shared a very nice page.
I do hope Squiggles is better soon.

All the best Jan

Meggymay said...

First of all it is good that Squiggles was looking a bit better, its so worrying when they [our family friends] cannot tell us what they are feeling. I love this page and the way you used the trimming additions.
I also thought your abstract page in the previous post looked fantastic as well.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

Birgit said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Squiggles and hope all goes better. It truly sucks when your furbabe gets ill or is old. I'm seeing this with our doggie and the one pussy cat. I love the background with the great colours. The ancestral photo looks great with the lace. One day, I need to get into my ancestry

DVArtist said...

This is just beautiful.

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a fabulous page! The watercolour background is gorgeous and I love the lace 😁. Thanks so much for joining us at Creative Artiste! Hugs Jo x

Neet said...

I often saw those places where you could pose for a photo like this one but my other half would not join me so it never got done. I am so glad this family got together for it.
Lovely use of the lace and ticket to emphasise the reasoning behind the journal page. Lovely piece Elizabeth.
Hugs, neet xxx