Sunday, January 9, 2022

Monday Murals: Choices

 

I want to apologize for not visiting everyone last week.  Some of you may be aware my internet and phone were offline for five days due to the line being knocked out (technically snapped off) by high winds.  I am one of about three people over the age of seven who still doesn't own a cell phone and with temperatures below zero (-17.76 C) and wind chills in the negative teens(~ -26 C) for several days, I wasn't about to leave my home and visit my friend to use her phone to call about my situation.  Apparently, ATT (my carrier) found the problem on their own, and as of late Saturday afternoon (yesterday), my internet and phone had been restored.  

But now it's time to join Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals.  Even though it's still Sunday in my world, please be aware that Sami's mural link goes live at 10:01 a.m. my time today.    

I found this (these) mural(s) as I was driving on east Douglas looking for a specific mural I never found.
 
It was so large, I couldn't get it all in one photo.  The mural on the right may represent the river that runs through Wichita, Kansas (USA).

The part that pleased me the most was the middle mural reminding people to save Century II, the flat building that looks a bit like a spaceship (directly above the "SA").  The good news is, there was so much lash back when the city decided to raze the building, they eventually backed off and Century II is now off the "endangered list" of buildings to be destroyed.  

I'm not sure if C.A., who it appears painted the end mural, painted all or just the one with the initials on it.  This mural is found in the windows of an empty building in the 1400 block of east Douglas in Wichita, Kansas (USA).

If you enjoy murals from around the world, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World.  Thanks for stopping by to visit Bleubeard and me today.  Providing my internet stays on and I can leave comments, I will be by to visit each person, even though I couldn't last week.
 

26 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Nice murals, Elizabeth. Happy Sunday, hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

You find some amazing murals. Thank you.

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, no again off the line?! Frustrating!
Century II always impresses me. And expanding our minds is always a great idea, too.

Rain said...

I had to smile at your comment that you may be one of three people in the world over the age of 7 who doesn't have a cell phone...lol...I probably wouldn't be surprised to know that kids UNDER 7 have them now! Lovely mural! I'm glad you got your internet and phone back. I feel lost when we have power failures, but I get used to being offline pretty quickly! :)

Mae Travels said...

Saving old buildings from the wrecking ball is a good start, but often, no one really has any use for them, just some sort of nostalgic attachment. I hope the one that’s been saved will be useful for the future. If you live in a throw-away society…

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

CJ Kennedy said...

Glad you got your Internet and phone back. Cool murals. Nice that the city isn't going to wreck the old building. Is anyone going to restore it?

Divers and Sundry said...

It makes me wish we had a system where we could raise a flag over our house to signal for help. It must've felt quite strange, not knowing when they'd find your problem.

That building looks worth saving! I don't know of another like it.

Jenn Jilks said...

We only just last year purchased a smartphone. Hubby still used his flip phone, though!

Tom said...

..."Expand Your Mind," what a fabulous message. It should be painted EVERYWHERE!!! Thanks for sharing, take care and stay well.

Jackie McGuinness said...

Power to the people! I couldn't live without my phone, I use it for everything.

kathyinozarks said...

Another great find Elizabeth

kwarkito said...

that's is really colorful. i love the design of "expand your mind". i'll try to do my best according that point of view

Lowcarb team member said...

That's a relief to get your Internet and phone back.
I like these murals.

All the best Jan

My name is Erika. said...

This mural is definitely different. I'm not sure what it all means, but I see the space ship in the middle panel and so I am guessing it has an alien theme. Happy new week. hugs-Erika

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

Terrific trio of murals, and always good to hear that a building was spared!

Bertiebo said...

A mural with a message. And it worked

Debbie at Travel with Intent said...

A strong positive message, to expand our minds.
I don't know the background to Century II, but let's hope it can be put to full use in its extended life

Sami said...

Sorry about your power problems and the bad weather Elizabeth. Since a small minority of people have landlines here in Australia, most people have cell phones.
Interesting and very colourful mural and glad the Century II building will be saved. Hope it gets to be used.
Thanks for participating in Monday Murals.

Alice said...

The lines go down here a lot with the coastal storms, glad your back. The right side of the mural looks like a road to me

DVArtist said...

You have so many murals in your city. Very nice to have them.

Jeanie said...

I think I should call your city "The Mural City." Another good one!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

very nice murals Elizabeth; and no need to apologize ~~~ ☺☺♥♥

bleu and squiggles; iz ya stayin in trubull ;) ♥♥

Linda said...

Very colorful! Interesting story; glad they saved the unique building.

craftytrog said...

That's an amazing mural! I love the face!
Glad you have power and your phone again Elizabeth.
Hugs,
Alison

magiceye said...

Beautiful murals!

Tanya Breese said...

Nice murals!! Sorry about the phone and internet! Glad you are back and running!