Friday, December 17, 2021

Rain's Thursday Art Date: Christmas Present, meets Friday Smiles 452, but first

 

Before I show the rest of this post, I want to share a journal page I created for Try it on Tuesday.  If you are only here for Try it on Tuesday, I thought I would show it first, so you don't have to scroll through the rest of the post if you aren't interested in seeing my Christmas home.

Their theme this fortnight is Snowflakes.

I call this Snow Day.

The snowman is enjoying all the snowflakes that made him in the first place.

I started by creating a background of azure Staz-on and 91% isopropyl alcohol.  As soon as it was dry, I used VersaMark on a large snowflake stamp.  When the page was completely stamped with the exception of the very bottom where I wanted the snowman to live, I added white embossing powder, then turned it over and tapped off the excess powder.  I heat embossed the snowflakes, then allowed the embossing powder time to cool.  

I used dye ink on the snowman stamp, then was shocked when it didn't cover wherever the embossing powder was in place.  Although I had planned to stamp the sentiment, I decided to use stickers instead after seeing what happened when I stamped the snowman.  Live and learn.

Thanks for visiting and I look forward to seeing what others have created at Try it on Tuesday.

Rain's Thursday Art Date is Christmas Present, and I hope Annie (at A Stitch in Time), who hosts Friday Smiles, as well as the lovely ladies who also share their smiles each Friday, will get a smile from this post.

Since I'm combining two additonal link up blogs today, I decided it would be a good time to share my Christmas decorations.  Sadly, these are not very good photos.

It was bitterly cold and overcast the day I took these photos, so I didn't take a photo of the tree that sits on my front porch.

This is where I will put my Christmas gifts I receive.  I've already received and opened one (before I realized I was supposed to wait).  Note the trees and the rocking horses in the table covering.  I actually "hemmed" this fabric I purchased for this very table when I lived in Missouri.  By "hemming," I mean I used hem tape and turned the hem under that way.  At that time, I didn't own a sewing machine, but if I had, I would never have tried to hem this cloth (please DO laugh, Annie).

I'm worried about my rosemary.  It isn't looking all that good.

I'm hoping this is a better shot.  And yes, I leave my rocking horses out all year long.  The tiny trees on the table have bows on the large tree, Santas on the smallest tree, and rocking horses on the middle sized tree.

Every year I bring out my Night Before Christmas book and prepare Santa a sandwich (actually they are ceramic coasters) and a mug of hot chocolate.


I bought the glitter tree with balls specifically for this spot.  Of course, at the time, I didn't realize it was going to shed glitter even though I've sprayed it several times.  Why here you ask?  Because everything is vintage and I wanted something modern to offset all that old look and feel of my living room.  The three small trees are candles, but I don't have the heart to burn them.

This is my rotating art table.  Right now, the napkin holder will hold

Christmas cards and tip-ins I receive (and ones I've already received).  Most of the ladies at Friday Smiles will note the tribute to Shaz Silverwolf created by Debbie at TatteredRocks.  It has taken pride of place on this table.
 
Moving into the dining area, the only addition I included this year on one of the kitchen cabinets was this mini-muffin tin that I now use as a tea light holder.

Next up is my faux fireplace mantle, where I hang my stockings every year.  When I lived in Missouri, I had a cat named Dog and a dog (red Chesapeake Bay retriever) named Bear.  I bought stocking holders that looked like them.  Now Squiggles gets the dog stocking holder, while Bleubeard gets the cat.  I get the tree.  Bleubeard says not to make any off color remarks about the balls on his stocking!  You can see my newest rocking horse behind the dog.

Here's a better photo of my newest rocking horse.  He has already made friends with the others.  

Of course, I always have to include my very small stocking that tells how I feel about rocking horses!

I added a tablecloth to my dining room table and placed my oldest tree on it.  I see Squiggles has been rearranging the rugs and the cat toys again.  To the left of the front door is my cat tower.  However, neither of my cats climb, so they have never wanted or had any desire to sit in it.  BUT, if it's on the floor, they might fight over it (whatever "it" might be).  Do you see the mouse under the chair?  It was in the office upstairs earlier.

I received this tree for Christmas the year I graduated from high school and moved into my first home away from home.  It came with the ribbons, candy canes, and balls,

and I added the rocking horses years later to the points that only had ribbons.  These are glass and have Santas, mice, and snowmen riding the rockers.

The sun finally came out and even though it was windy and bitterly cold, I was able to take a photo of the tree I place on my outdoor desk each year.
 
With the sun finally out, I was able to take photos of my little trees on my table.  This one has Santas.  I see three in this photo.

The large one in back has ribbons and this one has rocking horses.

These rocking horses are ceramic and have teddy bears riding them.

My final tree was purchased specifically for my cardinal bath.
 
Want to know why my photos are a bit fuzzy at times?  This is the true temperature in my home.  It is 17 degrees C or 63 degrees F.  And this is the warmest room in the house because it sits directly over the central heating unit in the basement.

Thanks for joining me today for Rain's TAD and Annie's Friday Smiles.  Hope to see you both places.  And please don't forget to visit Try it on Tuesday, too.  Bleubeard agreed that there were too many photos of my trees for there to be any funnies this week.  He still wants you to know he is proud of his stocking!!


27 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you, it worked, I do smile big and feel all christmas-sy!
Love the close-up of the rocking horse´s legs. And, of course, the cats!
Why am I not surprised you named your cat "Dog"? LOL!
You remind me of the woman who lived opposite when we lived with Ingo´s Granma in the village and the neighbor-lady stood there yelling, "Taxi!!!! Taxi!!"... - was the dog´s name.

I love all the details, and oh, the tiny horse there! And the bear! Bathroom!!!

17C?! Brrrr. We have 7C outside even! Hope you get all cozy soon.

Helen said...

you always have such a prettily decorated Christmas home. thanks for raising a smile here too.

Elephant's Child said...

Lots of smiles here too. I love your decorations. I couldn't light those candles either - and of course the rocking horses stay out all year.

Annie said...

You really have made me smile today Elizabeth. I love every corner of your home with all those gorgeous Christmas decorations/memories. It’s just what Christmas should be.
Your cloth and lack of sewing the hems made me chuckle...shame you don’t live round the corner.
Hugs,
Annie x

Valerie-Jael said...

Your home is perfectly decorated for Christmas, so much to see and enjoy! Glad you are having fun joining in various challenges, thanks for linking to TIOT. Have a great day!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

House looking all ready for Christmas. I had to smile when you said you had already opened one of your presents. My mother is funny when it comes to Christmas presents we have to hide them, if she knows they are there she has no willpower and will open them before the special day. She always says " Well they are for me so I can open them when I like" She is so naughty and is worse now that she's 93 but maybe she thinks time is running out Lol! Have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Gillena Cox said...

A lot of Christmas trees at Christmas present
Thanks for dropping by my blog

Much💟love

mamapez5 said...

I love seeing other folks decorations. You sure go to town on your trees even if some of them are quite small. I love all the candles. I must admit I don't go as far as to decorate the bathroom, but it looks so nice and cheery.
Our temperastures are almost the same as your's now but we do get sunshine quite often.
I hope you enjoy your Christmas time. Kate x

Leigh said...

Such lovely decorative touches. Beautiful!

My name is Erika. said...

I love the snowman page. Using the Staz-On and alcohol creates such a pretty background and it really looks like the sky when its going to snow. I like the embossed snowflakes too. Thanks for sharing this with us at TIOT. It's much appreciated.

And you have as many Christmas trees as you do rocking horses-smile! They are so lovely. I like how you have them all over the house and in so many forms. Fun story about the stockings too. Your house looks great and so festive.

And I also want to mention I enjoyed reading your comment on my post yesterday about my Cali road trip. I want to see the missions some day. I have a book about them and they look great. And you asked what my husband's pick. I scheduled a post for tomorrow that tells that, but since it's no great secret, his pick was to do a studio tour. I probably won't get to post that until after Christmas, but I will. Have a super Friday! hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

Your house looks wonderfully ready for a great Christmas celebration. I hope it will be super.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Tom said...

...I send warmest wishes for a Merry Christmas.

Christine said...

Lovely decorations!

Rain said...

Where do I begin??? Your house looks so cozy! I love everything...all of the candles, the beautiful Silverwolf, my gosh is that gorgeous! The stockings, your rocking horses, oh and that tree in the bathroom is adorable! I LOVE your sandwich coasters!!! Oh they are cute!!! Your snowflake art is very pretty too! Thanks for sharing your home! By the way, I was NEVER able to keep a rosemary plant overwinter...it always just shriveled up, I suspected it was the dryness from the baseboard heaters maybe?

Divers and Sundry said...

This piece looks so happy!

I have some tree displays, too, and I'm especially fond of your glitter tree with the balls in it. Cool! I've never seen anything like it. How festive everything looks :) I like your stockings. We hang our on the stair rail.

Thank you for the lovely Christmas card. I think I have a frame here. It'll be a nice addition to my trees :)

CJ Kennedy said...

You really go all out with your decorating. Everything looks wonderful and so warm and welcoming.

LA Paylor said...

your home reflects your love of art. Your background is really pretty. Love the tiny ornaments

Lisca said...

I always love to see your house all decorated. Every time I am surprised at the number of rocking horses you have.
I loved the story about the stockings (and a cat named Dog).
The mini muffin tine is gorgeous! Is it antique? It looks it. I like it very much. It has a little Christmas trees on the edges, exquisite.
You already know that I love that triptych. And I had not seen the Shaz Silverwolf tribute, but it is beautiful.
But I was shocked at your indoor temperature. Is your central heating boiler up the creek or do you like it like that? I keep an eye on the temperature and when the temp goes below 19 degrees C, we light the fire. If I feel cold at 19 or above, I tell myself to put on a thicker cardigan. We have no central heating, but the stove heats the whole flat.
Yes, your rosemary looks a bit sad. Have you tried repotting it in a bigger container? That can be done during the 'dormant' period, ie winter.
I do like the Night before Christmas. It reminds me very much of our Dutch traditions around St Nickolaas, including giving two of the reindeer Dutch names (Donder and Blixem, which mean thunder and lightning in Dutch).
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

DVArtist said...

Nice post with lots of Christmas going on. I love the baskets on the wall too. Have a great day.

Barbara said...

Your home is lovely, especially all dolled up for Christmas! The furniture is beautiful, so perfect in its antique nature. The pressed back chairs and faux mantle clock are beautiful. I notice you have blinds on the windows, but I didn’t see curtains. I love that look! I’ve taken care of curtains all my life and am tired of having them. Enjoy the holidays in your beautiful home! PS…your Rosemary looks good to me!

aussie aNNie said...

Stunning post think I will come to your place for Christmas...xx

Rita said...

Looks very festive there! :)

Elderberry-Rob said...

Visiting from TAD: loved seeing your creative home, so many pretty things that make your home inviting. Sorry to see how cold it is in there though (do you have a ghost?!!) 17 is too cold for me, I hope you have warm clothes :)

NatureFootstep said...

wow, I think your Christmas is all about the Christmas trees. :) So many different ones in both shape, size and colors. :) Love it!

Tammy said...

Your house looks so festive Elizabeth, I love all of the decorations and the sandwich coasters are so cute! Love you snowflake piece too, so happy you joined us over at TIOT! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!
Hugs, Tammy

Jeanie said...

Your page is perfect! And I love your home -- all the decorations and vignettes. The trees are wonderful. That one with the glass balls is so pretty. I love how you've done it all. I think we are tree huggers at heart, including the most festive of them! Merriest!

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful page! I love your design with all those amazing snowflakes - so pretty 😀. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday! Merry Christmas! Hugs Jo x