Monday, November 15, 2021

I'll get you my pretty

 

It's time once again to join Chris of Pearshapedcrafting, our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  She has chosen All Kinds of Weather as her theme.

Today we've been caught in a tornado.

Unfortunately so has the Wicked Witch of the West.  She has a cat on her broomstick because her beloved flying (winged) monkeys are out searching for the Wicked Witch of the East.

It looks like she has been flattened by Dorothy's house.  But where are her ruby slippers?

The tornado caused all this damage,

but in all the confusion, and before the Wicked Witch of the West can claim them, Glinda, the Good Witch of the North has already slipped the ruby slippers on Dorothy's feet.  The Munchkins are so happy that they are no longer under the control of this evil witch of the East.

Unbeknown to Dorothy, she has made an instant enemy with the Wicked Witch of the West, who vows to hunt her and Toto down to get the ruby slippers back.  Glinda tells Dorothy to never take them off, as the slippers must be very powerful or the Wicked Witch would not want them so badly.

I started this page, by cutting the tornado to a smaller size in order to place it on 110 lb cardstock.  I sewed the tornado to the cardstock using blue variegated thread.  I used two blue gel pens for the witch's outfit, one of which was a glitter pen that doesn't glitter in the photos.  I also used gel pens on her broom and the hat.  Since she was green in the Wizard of Oz movie, I gave her a green face and hands.  I then fussy cut her and added her to the page.  I tried to draw some ruby slippers, but they didn't look anything like slippers, but more like blobs of red.  I gave up on the "realism," and drew some witch's boots instead.  I colored and fussy cut the house and cut a word bubble that matched what The Wicked Witch of the West yelled at Dorothy as she left Munchkinland without the ruby slippers.

Bleubeard and I would like to thank you for dropping by today.  We also hope you never get caught in a tornado.  We further hope to see you at Art Journal Journey with your own journal interpretation of All Kinds of Weather.

This is Day 15 of AEDM and I created a journal page for Art Journal Journey.  We are now half way through this month and I am simply thrilled to see every day what others have created at AEDM, too.

18 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

This must be so scary.
Those are times I´m glad I live in boring Germany. Glad nothing happened to you or your witch (or her cat!).

Valerie-Jael said...

Such a fun page, love how you brought the story to life! Hurricanes are getting more and more frequent here, too, but people are still doing nothing to control climate change. Have a great week, hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you - this was a heap of fun.
And I hope I am never caught in a tornado too.

Empire of the Cat said...

This is so much fun, it made me laugh this morning. Love how you combined all the elements together on the page. It would be very scary weather to experience I think, I have never done so personally, we don't get them here like you do over there. I hope she doesn't catch up with Dorothy (and her little dog too!) Happy AEDM! I am actually early today! Elle/EOTC xx

WendyK said...

A fun page Elizabeth, so please Ed we don’t get them here, very scary.

Barbara said...

Nostalgic and fun!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Fabulous page and story Elizabeth. I would not like to be in a tornado, although I did enjoy seeing 'Twister' at the cinema a few years ago. Another great weather page for my AJJ theme.Thank you dear friend, Chrisx

My name is Erika. said...

Fun and clever way to portray a tornado. This works any way you look at it for Chris' challenge. Plus I really like it. The witch feet sticking out made me smile. Have a super start to the week. Hugs-Erika

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a fun page! I love how you depicted the story with the witch and wording - perfect 😁. I hope that you are keeping well, wishing you a lovely week! Hugs Jo x

CJ Kennedy said...

The Wizard of Oz is my favorite horror story and I love your interpretation. We had wild weather over the weekend. 5 confirmed tornadoes ( 4 EF0 and 1 EF1) touched down in CT and RI! So very unusual for this are of the country.

Birgit said...

I love your page that captures what the witch is feeling when she sees her dead sis. I love the blue of her dress and the house. This is a good telling of this famous story.

kathyinozarks said...

Very fun-I love it

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a great page ...
Did you know that more tornadoes occur in the United Kingdom per square mile than any other country in the world! I have been fortunate not to experience one yet!

All the best Jan

craftytrog said...

A wonderful page Elizabeth! I love it!

NatureFootstep said...

a fun one with lots of unexpected thigns. :) Love it and was smiling from beinning to the end. :)

sirkkis said...

Such a fun and creative page, Elizabeth. We have no tornados here - YET! Never no when weather changing reach us, unfortunately, too!!

Divers and Sundry said...

Clever!

Meggymay said...

O loved the journal page and the witch on her broom, I'm so pleased she had space for her car as well , thank you for making me smile as I read the post.
Yvonne xx