Monday, November 8, 2021

Hurricane season

 

My good friend Chris of Pearshapedcrafting is our host this month at Art Journal Journey.   All Kinds of Weather is her theme this month.

Today I have a quick post about hurricanes.  I've never been in a hurricane, but I've been in many tornadoes in my life.  Although hurricanes and tornadoes are both destructive in their own way, at least with hurricanes, you know days in advance approximately where and when they will reach landfall.  That is not the case for tornadoes, which can drop from the sky without warning faster than you can read this sentence.

 I love palm trees and when I saw this image, I had to use it.  Palm trees have very shallow roots.  How they survive in these conditions is beyond me.

In case you can't read my nearly illegible handwriting, or you need a translation, it reads: "Palm trees fighting to survive a hurricane."

After finding this image in a calendar, I had to use it.  I cut it to size, then I sewed it to a sheet of 110 lb cardstock using variegated thread.  I color coordinated the paint chip sample (using my full spectrum OTT light) onto which I hand wrote the sentiment.  Imagine my surprise when I saw how it photographed.  Certainly not as "color coordinated" as I thought.

Thank you ever so much for visiting today.  Bleubeard and I are so happy you dropped by and hope you will join us at Art Journal Journey with your own journal entry showing your interpretation of All Kinds of Weather.
 
 This is Day 8 of AEDM and I created a journal page for Art Journal Journey.


22 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Great idea, Elizabeth. Nice photo and sewing. Hurricanes are always so scary. Have a great , new week, hugs, Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

Scary pics of the hurricane but great post. x

Elephant's Child said...

Wow. I have never experienced a hurricane OR a tornado. And I am fine with that.

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is a great image Elizabeth- I'm so pleased that you have used it in your page. I love a windy day but definitely would not like to experience a hurricane, hugs,Chrisx

Meggymay said...

A super photo to use, I wouldn't want to be out in that kind of weather for any reason.
Fabulous inspiration for the AJJ theme.
Yvonne xx

CJ Kennedy said...

I've been through several hurricanes and grateful we get several days to prepare. I have never been through a tornado. Can't even imagine.

Rajani Rehana said...

Super blog

Rajani Rehana said...

Read my new post

Mae Travels said...

Your tornado experiences pique my curiosity. It would be great if you would some time write a post about them! After all, the most famous tornado of them all was in Kansas, and blew Dorothy to Oz. Have you been to Oz?

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Divers and Sundry said...

I, like you, have experienced tornadoes but not hurricanes. High winds are sooo destructive!

dee Nambiar said...

Tornadoes can surprise you! I'm terrified of them. :)
Those palm trees look scary!!

craftytrog said...

That's some weather and a half! Great page Elizabeth.

My name is Erika. said...

When hurricanes reach us they have usually petered out enough that we don't get huge amounts of damage. The only one that was a bigger storm for us was Gloria back in the 1980's. And I've been very close to tornadoes, like the funnel cloud passing a few miles away, and I have seen all the damage they can cause. The last tornado that came through my town in NH did leave a pretty nasty swath of destruction and actually traveled over 45 miles. It was so calm at my house, like the tornado sucked up all the energy. It was weird. We lost power and we didn't even know there was a tornado until later in the day. But I will say I have never seen a tornado except on TV. Out where you live and the lack of trees it must be weird because you can see them so far off.

I like how you picked your favorite palm trees for this page. The photo really looks stormy, and is perfect for Chris' challenge. I feel bad for people who get hit with really big storms and get so much damage. Sorry I babbled on so much at first too. Love your page, and hope your Monday is going well. hugs-Erika

Cloudia said...

Glad you are weather wise!

Iris Flavia said...

We "visited" hurricane Tracey in Darwin.
She struck Christmas 1974 - you can visit in the museum.
It was plain horrible.
At times I am glad I live in "boring, good ole Germany"...

kathyinozarks said...

excellent

Sandra Cox said...

I'm like you. Pleased to say I've never been in a hurricane but being from the Midwest I've been near a lot of tornadoes. One came zipping through Lafayette, years ago, and our daughter was in her bedroom. Her window was open and there was so much wind blowing, we couldn't get the door open. Luckily, no one was hurt.
Love your pieces.

Jeanie said...

That's a terrific rendition of weather, Elizabeth. I've never been in a hurricane and have no desire to, apart from mere curiosity. They're certainly "big." and scary!!!

NatureFootstep said...

ouch, that´s windy! Shots are beautiful, but I am glad I am not in it!

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Your journal is great with the seams. That's enough for me when there are hurricane gusts on the coast but I don't want to experience anything like that !
Have a good week, hugs, Elke

Lowcarb team member said...

Those palm trees and how they are bending look quite scary.

All the best Jan

nwilliams6 said...

Hurricanes are so strong. We sometimes think we would love to live at the coast but the number of storms in the gulf change our mind (along with the distance from our Grandchildren - lol). Great page for the All kinds of weather theme, Elizabeth. Hugz