Saturday, November 13, 2021

1-800-Blizzard!

 

It's time once again to join Chris of Pearshapedcrafting, our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  She has chosen All Kinds of Weather as her theme this month.

We've been caught in a blizzard, although some would call it a winter wonderland.

The background is a resist technique, where I placed Vaseline/petroleum jelly on parts of an old telephone book page.  I then painted the entire page with red acrylic paint.  I allowed the red paint to dry, then added Vaseline/petroleum jelly in various spots on top of the red paint.  Next, I added yellow acrylic paint and when it was dry, used several baby wipes to remove the Vaseline/petroleum jelly from the page.

I computer generated and printed the words "Winter Wonderland."  I then backed it with cardstock I colored using my handmade shimmer mists.  The assembly was sewn to the page using variegated blue thread.

I had to laugh when I saw this image in an old calendar from the 1990s.  No one uses a phone booth anymore, and if you could find one, it's doubtful the phone would still be functional.

That's when I came up with the idea to call it 1-800-Blizzard!

I started this page with the aforementioned background technique I attached to 110 lb cardstock.  I thought the use of a phone book page went nicely with the subject of the page.  I then sewed the word assemblies as described above, and the focal image to the substrate using blue variegated thread.

Bleubeard and I would like to thank you for dropping by today.  We also hope to see you at Art Journal Journey with your own inspired take on All Kinds of Weather.
 
This is Day 13 of AEDM and I created a journal page for Art Journal Journey.  

16 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Come visit me, I can show you at least one phone booth that is still working (OK, I think, I´ll take a detour on Monday to check)!
Brrrr, Ingo just came home and said his ears nearly fell off, that´s how cold it is.
Fitting work and the background just makes me want to turn on my fake-oven to see the fire for warmth!

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Elizabeth, this is a great page. Love the contrasting colours and sewing. Here it's cold and very misty today, I can hardly see anything outside - a good day to stay home and paint! We have a telephone near the tram stop here, people do use it, and it hasn't been destroyed yet! Hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

Wow. I am sure that I am not alone in thinking of Narnia...

Mae Travels said...

Double retro — the 1-800 thing is almost obsolete too because cell phones just require that you dial all the digits. So the 1- part is soon-to-be obsolete. And things are moving in the direction of all phones in the US being the same cost for all calls to each other, so the 800 prefix is probably becoming obsolete too.

You do have one thing in your art work that’s probably going to be more common: blizzards.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

WendyK said...

Lovely colourful page with a great technique. No blizzards for me thank you. I've been gardening this morning, it's quite mild.

My name is Erika. said...

Brrrr. I hate to think about a blizzard already. But your page is great as is your baseline background. It looks hot so maybe it’ll melt that snow quicker than quick. If o my that would happen in a blizzard. Hope your weekend is going well. And this is a great page for Chris’ challenge. Hugs Erika

craftytrog said...

I really love that hot background Elizabeth! Great page!
Blizzards are fine if you're watching them through the window of a warm and cosy room :-)
Hope you're having a good weekend,
Alison

CJ Kennedy said...

Clever image with the phone number. I'm not looking forward to that weather.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love the contrast of your hot colours with your very cold looking image. There are still phone booths here but many of the old ones are gone. Some have been used as free libraries. I am now on a massive catch up, having had a very busy mid week. Thanks so much for a fantastic page for my theme at AJJ, hugs, Chrisx

Empire of the Cat said...

I love the colours of your background. Isn't it funny how phone boxes are disappearing, ours were quite distinctive and I miss them. I just replied to your comment about the masking tape, you might want to try my suggestion instead of the dreaded plate. Elle/EOTC xx

NatureFootstep said...

beautiful winter wonderland :)

Birgit said...

I love the heat of the sun and brightness with the coolness of the photo with the person in that phone booth. I think there is one booth left in my city but I might be wrong. When I can, I will look for it. You know I just watched “The Year Without a Santa Claus” and my favourite part is the song with the heat miser and the cold miser. https://youtu.be/_SGlPnA_iCk

aussie aNNie said...

brrrrr it would melt in a sec here. xx

Meggymay said...

Snow will be with us soon and I love your winter page, I got the feeling of being warm and cosy looking out onto frost and cold when I saw this awesome page for Chris's AJJ theme.
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

Wintertime won't bring us much snow if any. I like the resist technique and the colors you chose.

Jeanie said...

Love the contrast of the yellow and the snow!