Friday, November 12, 2021

AEDM, Rain's TAD, and Friday Smiles share a post today

 

It's time to join Rain's Thursday Art Date a day late due to my Veterans Day tribute yesterday.   Rain's theme this week is Soft.

What could be softer

than kitten fur?  Note how fat Squiggles looks in this photo.

I'm glad he's really slimmed down, but his fur is still as soft as ever.

And here's the other furball (the actual face of our blog) hiding his face.  I'd say his fur isn't quite as soft as Squiggles' from the look of it in this latest photo of him.
 
Something else that is soft is snow (thanks for the idea, Valerie).  This was when we had over 22 inches of snow one year. 

We don't normally get that much snow, so that brought out the dyer in me.  Of course, I don't use chemicals or harsh soaps, so my dyed fabric is for art quilts only that will never go through a washing machine.

Dye inks and food coloring are used to dye my fabric that is now hidden in, around, and throughout the soft snow.

Love the fabric you can see below the snow that reminded me of sno cones.

Please join Bleubeard, Squiggles, and me at Rain's Thursday Art Date with your own interpretation of Soft.
 
I can't believe I forgot to link to AEDM yesterday.  I'm not sure if it's because of the Covid booster or what, but my brain was mush when I got home.  Other than that, I was fine, but mushy.  I promise not to forget today, which is Day 12 where I joined two link up blogs.

It's Friday so I'm also joining Friday Smiles which is hosted by Annie (at A Stitch in Time).   Let's visit her and the other wonderful ladies who also share their smiles each Friday.

We're returning to the Wichita-Sedgwick County Museum today.  I think even visitors who don't like museums will enjoy this post.

We're starting off with ephemera from over 150 years ago up to the 1970s.  At the top are enlarged reprints of a postage stamp and ticket,

while at the bottom are two license plates, men's bolo ties, and a record, among others that have to do with either Kansas or Wichita.

Here is the legend.

Looks like we should be celebrating the 160th anniversary of Kansas Statehood this year.

Still not convinced this is a post you would enjoy?

Let's move to this case, then.

These are actually postcards, but could double as great all occasion cards today.  If you are a card maker, you have to love these vintage postcards.

Of course there was the occasional postcard that is similar to ones we might send today.  Sorry I didn't get a close-up of the legend.

I think you will like how they describe postcards.  For those of you who text a lot, or have members who do, you should get a smile out of this.  You should be able to read this sign, so I'll let you do so.




I was glad to see the Wichita and student connection to this exhibit.  And although the images are very dark,

these are the postcards referred to in the legend (shown above).

I hope the postcard display put a smile on your face.  There will be no funnies or puns today because I felt this post was long enough as it was.

Now let's join Annie (at A Stitch in Time) and the lovely ladies who join her for Friday Smiles.  Thanks again for visiting and spending a bit of time with Bleubeard and me this Friday.  We would love to have you join us at AEDM and Rain's TAD, too. 


24 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, such a cute face ... and head.
You colored snow? LOL. Fun idea!

As the idea of "texting", boy, do I feel old now, I did just that :-)

Elephant's Child said...

I am so grateful that yours is one of the blogs that I can comment on.
Thanks for the wonders - and I adore both of your purr buddies.

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovel to see sQUIGGLES AND Bleubeard's back, too. Cats are really soft, I always loved snuggling with my Kitty. And snow is soft, too, glad you took the hint! The pics from the museum are very interesting.Have a great da, take care! Hugs, Valerie

craftytrog said...

Lovely to see the cats, and great photos of the museum. The fabric dyeing with snow sounds interesting.
Happy Friday!
Alison

CJ Kennedy said...

Squiggles is so cute with his little, pink nose. So glad he's feeling better. Clever use of the word soft. Loved all the postcards and the idea that sending postcards was analog texting.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

What a fun post today, your kitties do look sweet. Always happy to look around the museum. My favourite film is Night at the Museum....I know it's a kids film but I still love it and wish they would make more happy films. When I saw all the snow I thought it was now! It made me feel quite chilly Lol! Have a great weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

DVArtist said...

Again you are so cleaver with art ideas. Snow? Excellent. Very nice history lesson and always nice to see Squiggles. Have a great day.

Nancy said...

Lovely to see Squiggles and (most of) Bleubeard. That post card display is fascinating. Clever to equate the craze to texting for the display.

Annie said...

I really love your ‘soft’ pics. Squiggles has such a pretty face and the dyed snow is gorgeous.
Hugs,
Annie x

Tom said...

...soft and furry delights. Take care and enjoy your weekend.

mamapez5 said...

Squiggles is such a beautiful cat, and so is his side-kick of course even if he is hiding his face.
The coloured snow is a fun idea. I haven't seen that much snow for a very long time.
I enjoyed reading about the postcards. Of course they have gone out of fashion since modern technology has developed, but nothing beats the sound of mail dropping through the letter box, (or finding some in your end of drive box).
I hope you don't get snow like that again this winter. Kate x

My name is Erika. said...

Gray soft photos and I did enjoy today’s visit to the museum. Thanks for sharing. Happy Friday! Hugs Erika

Rain said...

Hi Elizabeth! Oh the kitties are so soft and cute, I hope they are both doing well!!! I LOVE your dyed snow!!! How neat!!! Yes, snow cones, that's immediately what I thought of...that and rainbow sorbet!!! :)

Lisca said...

Such lovely photos of your boys! I could almost feel their soft fur.
I loved the museum displays and of course especially the postcards! They are great! I spotted a card with a Dutch boy and girl on the dark blue postcard album. That was one for me no doubt. I think postcards have never been out of fashion.
Thanks for sharing.
Give those boys a cuddle,
Have a nice weekend,
Lisca

NatureFootstep said...

interesting to dye your fabric with help of snow. :) Loosk beautiful.
I love the postcard display.
Have to check it out :)

Christine said...

Lovely 'Soft' examples for Rain's post. Interesting about postcard 'texts' back in the day

Empire of the Cat said...

Aww kitty fur is the softest isn't it, Squiggles is looking good now. I am also late linking up to TAD and AEDM for yesterday, Elle/EOTC xx

Mae Travels said...

"Soft" in Shakespeare also meant "quiet" or "be quiet." As in the scene where Hamlet sees the ghost:

"But soft, behold! Lo, where it comes again!
I'll cross it though it blast me. Stay, illusion!"

Or when he sees Ophelia:

"Soft you now! The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons. Be all my sins remember'd!”

Or in Romeo and Juliet:

"But soft, what light through yonder window breaks? It is the east, and Juliet is the sun. Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon"

SOFT...Such a nice word! Also means kittens.

best,
mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Rajani Rehana said...

Super blog

Rajani Rehana said...

Read my new post

pearshapedcrafting said...

A fabulous pot Elizabeth- I would love to stroke that soft fur - I'm sure Bleubeard's fur is quite soft enough! We very rarely get deep snow here- not sure I'd cope with 22 inches! Loved seeing those piles of colourful snow. I would love to see those postcards in the museum. My mum used to collect postcards but I think they disappeared when she moved into a care home. Hope your brainfog clears soon, Chrisx

pearshapedcrafting said...

A fabulous pot Elizabeth- I would love to stroke that soft fur - I'm sure Bleubeard's fur is quite soft enough! We very rarely get deep snow here- not sure I'd cope with 22 inches! Loved seeing those piles of colourful snow. I would love to see those postcards in the museum. My mum used to collect postcards but I think they disappeared when she moved into a care home. Hope your brainfog clears soon, Chrisx

Divers and Sundry said...

"Soft kitty, warm kitty..." :)

Mail used to come twice a day, not that I remember it. Texting for the vintage age :)

Jeanie said...

Hi Squiggles! You're looking great! And what interesting museums you visit. I'd like to visit them all!