Wednesday, October 20, 2021

The Owl's Tale

 

It's once again time to join Tracey from Hotchpotchcreations, our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  Her theme is My Favorite Color is October.  Today this was all about the colors, rather than the subject matter.  

This is My Owl's Tale.  

Here are a few closeups.






One of the unintended problems was my tension when I used my zig zag stitch.  I had variegated orange in my top and variegated blue in my bobbin, because I forgot to change it.  I personally thought it worked quite well with the blue in the focal image.
 
By the time I sewed around the outside, I had changed the bobbin thread to another shade of variegated orange. 

I started this entry with a background from my stash I printed on my ink jet printer back when I still had color ink.  The first thing I did was sew the assembly together using variegated threads as I mentioned above to paint chip samples from my stash I outlined in black dye ink.  After the assembly was complete, I changed my bobbin thread and sewed the background to a sheet of 110 lb. cardstock.  I added the assembly and the sentiment that I wrote in dark blue ink. 

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today.  Bleubeard and I are thrilled you joined us and hope you will join us at Art Journal Journey with your own journal entry for My favorite color is October.      

 

15 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

I adore owls - and love your creation.

Iris Flavia said...

Love your stitching (will try and shorten trousers today, huhhhh, a first!) - and I love owls, have you read about Wesley?
Or did I ask you before? Better twice than never ;-)

I´ll think about a tale when trying the trousers. And... BOOM - I have the first one in mind already. It scared me as kid.

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely journal page Elizabeth, beautiful colours, too. You did well with the stitching. My machine is very temperamental these days! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

nwilliams6 said...

Beautiful colors, sewing, and owl, Elizabeth. Super page. We are all wanting to know the owl's story now! Hugz

Mae Travels said...

That owl has a very human face. I love to see them sitting in a tree, and they probably do have a story somewhere in mind.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

That is such a leading title. I like this piece of art. I like the stitching too, especially the blue. And those squares of rust/wine colored paper is all this cool painting/picture needs. I wonder what the owl's tale is.And that woman who looks like a warrior.I like this take on Tracey's challenge a lot. Hope your week is going well! hugs-Erika

Meggymay said...

I've been having a good catch up this morning and have enjoyed reading the posts and seeing your awesome pages and takes on Tracey's AJJ. this page is fabulous and I love how you created the owl and stitched it altogether.
Have a good rest of the week.
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

I love how the stitching works. That owl has a lot of atmosphere about her, perfect for an October theme.

Sandra Cox said...

Purrfect for the season.

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely colours, so perfect for this season.
I think your stitching worked well.

All the best Jan

pearshapedcrafting said...

Absolutely brilliant. Beautiful colours and of course I love your stitching! Hugs, Chrisx

Rita said...

Owls remind me of my aunt who collected them. Still miss her. :)

Neet said...

Yes, you certainly used the colours of autumn/October in your page today. The owl and his background are very autumnal and another "yes" - you are right, the blue that was in the machine bobbin matches perfectly with the blue in the owl picture.
I love the substrate that you chose and the way you stitched all around the edge.
Hope Squiggles is getting better.
Hugs, Neet xxx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

True Autumnal inspiration with those colours and that Owl centre piece is a very beautiful image, love it's abstract design. Your different coloured stitched edges bring each layer out. Another super page Elizabeth, thanks again for joining in with my AJJ theme. Hugs Tracey xx

craftytrog said...

A wonderful page, I love the owl and your beautiful stitching Elizabeth!