Sunday, October 31, 2021

Over the Rainbow

 

Today we begin a new month and that means a new host at Art Journal Journey.  I'd like to give a warm welcome to one of Bleubeard's and my fellow co-administrators, Chris of Pearshapedcrafting.  Chris has decided to take on All Kinds of Weather as her theme for November.

Recently, Tamara Laporte hosted a taster series advertising her upcoming Life Book 2022.  One of her contributions was called The Rainbow of Joy.  This is my puny interpretation of her lesson.  However, I thought it would be an excellent first entry for Chris's theme this month.  
 
The rainbow is definitely the star of this journal page.

It even deserved a frame.
 

I took a line out of my favorite horror movie as the title of this entry, as well as the title of today's post.


I began this page by creating the rainbow based on what I remembered from the Life Book 2022 Taster page.  After the paper dried, I sewed black cardstock using orange thread around the outside of the rainbow I created using watercolors.  Next, I created the background on 110 lb cardstock, with my recent go-to background of a few drops of pink Staz-on reinker mixed with 91% isopropyl alcohol.  I then computer generated the title using watercolor pencils.  I sewed the sentiment to black cardstock using the same orange thread.  For the assembly, I attached assemblies using glue dots.  For a final embellishment, I added the star, which was echoed in the black ink stars I created in the rainbow.
 
Thank you ever so much for visiting today.  Chris, Erika, Valerie, Yvonne, Bleubeard, and I are delighted you joined us and hope to see you this month at Art Journal Journey with your own take on All Kinds of Weather.

Some of you may have noticed we have changed the "Dreaded Rules" a bit at Art Journal Journey starting today.  We now allow mini journals and journal pages, but they must look like a journal and not a card.  Please be aware, we still do NOT allow cards or tags.  There are tons of challenge blogs that accept those.  We gladly welcome art journal pages that meet the theme requirements, altered book pages, canvases, loose or stand alone pages including fabric, and digital art.  To reiterate, we still do not allow cards, tags, index cards, ATCs, or ATCoins, unless they are part of a journal page, and as much as we don't want to, will be forced to delete your entry.  
 

I'm also joining Leah Piken Kolidas, our delightful host, again this year for Art Every Day Month or AEDM.  I have joined every November for 12 years.  This will be my 13th year creating art each day.  For Day 1, I introduced a new host at Art Journal Journey and created a journal page.

19 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

Rainbows ARE joyous things. As soon as I see one (yours included) I start to smile.

Iris Flavia said...

I love rainbows, always a good sign (and I love rain, too). Yes, it deserves a frame, love the composition.

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Elizabeth, I recognized the rainbow as soon as I saw it, and will probably use mine at some time during the challenge. Love how you stitched the frame and put the sentiment underneath it like in a gallery. My sewing machine is not behaving at all!Have a wonderful start in the new week, see you later! Hugs, Valerie

Empire of the Cat said...

I love your rainbow, so vibrant, and the stitching around the frames. I have yet to do mine too, but I need to watch some of them again. There was no time last month, all taken up by Halloween! I like the flexibility of All kinds of weather, just hoping for some stable weather in RL lol. Happy AEDM! Elle/EOTC xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

I wouldn't be surprised if you could hear my squeal of delight when I saw this - gave T a fright! This is absolutely brilliant in every way (rainbows are on my mind too) and...topped off with your fabulous sewing too. An absolutely delightful start to my new theme at AJJ. Thank you so much Elizabeth, Chrisxx

My name is Erika. said...

What an amazing page Elizabeth. I love how you incorporated weather and something a bit abstract. Who wouldn't want to frame a rainbow. Or see a rainbow out their window. You outdid yourself for the start of this challenge. This page made me smile this morning. Thanks so much for sharing and starting off the new month with this beauty for Chris's challenge. And thanks for linking me up too. Happy November. See you tonight for T. Hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

The Wizard of Oz where the song “Over the Rainbow” was the theme is definitely a favorite with a lot of people.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

CJ Kennedy said...

Rainbow and Kansas are such a perfect weather combination. Glad you're off to a good start for your Nov. challenge.

Leah said...

Thirteen years! That's wonderful. Glad to see your art as always. Lovely work!

Sandra Cox said...

Nice:)!
Belated Happy BDay to Bleubeard. How young is he?

NatureFootstep said...

I would love rainbows every day of the month :) :)

Meggymay said...

I love how you have used a rainbow on this fantastic page to inspire us for the new AJJ theme Elizabeth. They have a special kind of magic when we see one in the sky, no matter how old we are.
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

That rainbow is definitely a star!

craftytrog said...

Your rainbow is beautiful Elizabeth! I love it!

Jeanie said...

I think you'll be havng fun with rainbow challenge. I know I'll enjoy looking at it!

Elkes Lebensglück said...

I love rainbows, your rainbow page is beautiful!
Have a good time! Hugs, Elke

Neet said...

What a bright and beautiful rainbow. I love how you have given it some stars within it as I am sure the real ones touch the stars at times.
Once again you have given me that dig that tells me I should have a go at putting some dewing o some of my journal pages - now that you have relaxed the rules I think I might do a small journal of loose pages so that I can do some stitching on them.
Hugs to all Neet xxx

DVArtist said...

This made my morning. Rainbows always bring happiness.

Matilde said...

Fabulous idea!