Thursday, September 9, 2021

Rain's Thursday Art Date (TAD): Minimalism

 

If you are looking for my Second Thursday Tutorial, I will share it tomorrow.

 Today, however, I'm joining Rain with a drawing I actually created myself.  Can you believe I actually drew something on my own?

It's true I can't draw, but with the help of a 6 inch ruler, I was able to create this equilateral triangle.

This is from an old Calculus workbook I used when I was an undergrad.  You can see I have started to work worked the problem on the page.  Yes, that is my handwriting, because the workbook was brand new when I bought it.

In addition to joining Rain, I'm also sharing this minimalistic triangle at Try it on Tuesday with their latest theme which is to Use Book Pages.  It's obvious this is from a workbook on calculus.  After drawing the triangle in pencil, I used red watercolor to fill in the triangle.  I chose watercolor for the triangle because I wanted the trigonometry functions to show through.

Thanks for dropping by today.  I felt I needed to join Rain because she has been so thoughtful and caring while life got complicated in my world.  I also hope to see you at Try it on Tuesday with examples of how you use your Book Pages.


26 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Great idea to use your old calculous book, thanks for linking to us at TIOT! Well done on drawing a triangle. Geometry was always my favourite theme at school. Have a fun day, take care, hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

This is a nightmare!!!
LOL.
Infinitesimalrechnung, ahhhhh... noooo
To infinity ... and beyond!
This was only to torture pupils.
I hated this (also not only cause I´m too dumb, but I saw no sense in this).
You have me laughing, Ingo would love this.
I should´ve been as clever and draw this on the page! With a "Geodreieck" as we call it. I have one right here (for the journal pages, how boring).

Elephant's Child said...

Minimalism can be elegant and lovely. It isn't for me though. Both my head and my home are cluttered. I like your take though - and agree with you about calculus.

aussie aNNie said...

Reminds me of school days, great post though.
Yes, Bella is growing taller, she is an English hunting dog, labrador, but so fast too. xx

Mae Travels said...

I wonder what calculus students use these days -- probably not workbooks! Everything is online, from what I hear. And they learn calculus in high school.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Cathy Kennedy said...

Elizabeth,

Anyone who can do Calculus has to be an artist. I mean all of those squiggles, numbers, and letters to solve a mathematical equation is super perplexing to my minimalist brain. Going beyond the basics of math is like rocket science or something. I sure do feel like I'm out in the stars somewhere when I see stuff like this. lol Great idea for this week's theme, my dear!

Curious as a Cathy

Karen said...

Great take on both challenges ~ Enjoy the weekend ahead

My name is Erika. said...

Thanks for sharing the minimalist piece with us at Try It on Tuesday my dear Elzabeth. It is certainly that, and I love the book page you used also. The hand writing on it is even a nice addition. And this page looks vintage to me, but only because of the yellowish color of the book page. Its a fun take on so many challenges I think. Hugs-Erika

Gillena Cox said...

Interesting response to the prompt. Good Thursday Cathy

Much💖love

Gillena Cox said...

Oops i called you Cathy. Sorry ELIZABETH


MUCH💖LOVD

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Brilliant!

Christine said...

Love this!

Barbara said...

Definitely minimalism with the added interest of print!

Divers and Sundry said...

Cool idea!

craftytrog said...

I love your minimalist art Elizabeth! Great idea!

DVArtist said...

A great art idea. Your cleverness just amazes me. Have a great day.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

we EPIC FAILED basic math at skewl.......bleu and squiggles; we give Elizabeth 984 PAWZ UP....knot in 893 million we wood ever bee abe bull two due this stuffz !!!

;)
☺☺♥♥

CJ Kennedy said...

If I knew I would have needed math to make art, I would have paid more attention to Mr. Tupper instead of writing Mrs. Dougie Horton all over my notebooks in my best penmanship. Love the red triangle.

Rain said...

OMG Calculus!!! Tried it, somehow got 90 out of 100 on my final, then promptly forgot ALL of it lol...this is a great take on the theme Elizabeth! Thanks for joining in, there is never any expectation or pressure among friends!! ♥

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like this, well done :)

All the best Jan

Tom said...

...trig was always way over my head!

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Well I was wondering if you would come back. I have missed your TAD contributions as well as you always wonderful comments. I hope all is well with you and I am impressed, not only with your minimalist Triangle, but with the very fact that you have a calculus book in your home. Glad you were able to join in again ... hope your are really back, not for just one week, but from now on ... Yes? Be safe and a big hug to Bleubeard, who has also been missed )

Andrea @ From the Sol

Fundy Blue said...

What a cool interpretation of minimalism, Elizabeth! I have to admit that it gave me the creeps, the calculus part that is. When I finished my final calculus exam, I went home, tied my textbook up with a ribbon, and threw it in the trash. Well done on recycling yours! Bleubeard is really handsome!

nwilliams6 said...

I look back and wonder how I ever worked through calculus and passed - not sure I could today. Love that you used your old workbook page for your base here and that you still had it! Fun Triangle. Super page, Elizabeth. Hugz

NatureFootstep said...

three sided to show an area. :)

Meggymay said...

Sorry to be late calling in this is a fantastic page using the calculus papers in thr background, I am so happy you shared it with us over at Try it on Tuesdays as well.
Yvonne xx