Sunday, September 26, 2021

Monday Murals: While I was looking elsewhere

 

I stumbled onto this while looking for another flag mural.  

I thought some of you might be tired of seeing another Wichita flag, so I decided to share this mural I stumbled on while looking for more flags.

I didn't even write down where I found it, but I know it was located in an alley off west Douglas (in Wichita, Kansas, USA).

I can tell you more about what it isn't than what it is.  It isn't on any of my lists of Wichita murals. 

It isn't an Avenue Arts Days mural.
 
It isn't signed.  It isn't dated.  Even though it was hotter than Hades the day I took these photos, I examined every bit of the mural to see if I could find who painted it.
 
After closely examining my photos, I see a plane that signifies our being the airplane/aircraft capital of the world.  I wonder if the irises represent our botanical gardens.  The Art Deco design may represent several of our bridges and how they are decorated.  The dancing lady may represent our performing arts, and the dove may represent peace.  I have no idea what the yellow and orange flowers represent, though.

If you enjoy murals from around the world, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World.  Thanks for stopping by to visit Bleubeard and me.  We are both grateful you took time to join us today. 


24 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

That is a truly lovely mural. Thank you for enduring the heat and going over it with a fine tooth comb (metaphorically speaking).

Mae Travels said...

That's a wonderful mural, both skillful and imaginative. I love the style. Interesting that you couldn't find any information about the artist or sponsors.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Valerie-Jael said...

This is a beautiful mural, love the colours and flowers. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Sami said...

It's a beautiful find Elizabeth and so nice that it has so many symbols representing the City of Wichita.
Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Elizabeth.

CJ Kennedy said...

Beautiful. The big orange flowers remind me of sunflowers and the flowers with the art deco leaves remind me of wheat.

kathyinozarks said...

What an awesome find Elizabeth. This is one of my favorites of the murals so far.

Nancy said...

This one is so vibrant and beautiful. You're right, though, knowing more about the artist and the symbols would be great- it leaves us curious while admiring it. Glad you found it!

Jeanie said...

Some of our best moments are when we look elsewhere, and this one is a stunner. I'm glad you found it. Love the irises!

Jackie McGuinness said...

Thank you for pointing out the plane, I was puzzled looking at that.

DVArtist said...

You have so many mural in your area. It is amazing. Have a great day.

Olde Dame Holly said...

I wonder if those flowers are supposed to represent wheat? Any ago thereabouts? What a lovely mural. I really like the purple in it.

one irrational bean said...

That mural is so pretty, Have a happy Sunday, Nanski

kwarkito said...

a beautiful mural with a sophisticated graphic design reminiscent of the sixties

Tom said...

...I'm not tired, but this one is great!

My name is Erika. said...

I really like this Elizabeth, especially how the plane represents your city's history. And the art deco feel and flowers are really beautiful. This is a beautiful mural, even if you don't know too much about it. Happy new week. Hugs-Erika

Rita said...

A dramatic pretty mural. :)

dee Nambiar said...

Not only is that a pretty mural but it also seems to say a lot, too. That definitely looks like a portrayal of place.

Every now and then I too come across murals that have no name/ signature and no info on the internet. :D

Have a good week, Elizabeth. :)

aussie aNNie said...

Very artistic and gorgeous colours. xx

Bertiebo said...

Not signed, not dated... but art!!! I LOVE THIS ONE

Iris Flavia said...

Well, a humble artist - a great one, love this one!

Divers and Sundry said...

I'll never tire of your flags :) I love the combination of purple and orange, and the iris is the TN state flower so I'm feeling a connection with you in this :)

Alice said...

The colors are well-coordinated, now you have another whole week to find a flag

Lowcarb team member said...

What a great find ...
This is a lovely mural, the colours and design just go so well together.

All the best Jan

Linda said...

Your interpretation seems spot-on. The yellow flowers remind me of an ancient Egyptian floral design.