Monday, August 16, 2021

The QWERTY Beast

 

Today I'm joining my good friend Neet from Hickydorums who is our host this month at Art Journal Journey.   She has chosen Type as her theme.

I now give you what I'm calling "The QWERTY Beast."

 I stamped every letter of this sentiment.

I don't think I've stamped so much in my life.
 

Certainly not an entire page of letters.
 
I know the sentiment is true, though, because I had the opportunity to use one of these beasts and you have to press very hard for the letter to be correct.

One thing hasn't changed is the position of the keys, called QWERTY, the first six letters found on a standard English-language typewriter or computer keyboard's second row layout.

 I started this page by cutting down a sheet of heavy red cardstock to 8.5 X 11 inches so it would go through my laser printer.  I didn't want to fussy cut the typewriter, a freebie image I found on The Graphics Fairy.  It was so much easier to print it on the red paper.
 
Then, as I mentioned previously, I stamped and stamped and stamped the sentiment on the page using black dye ink.  The stamps are typewriter keys.  The sentiment reads:
There is no such thing as touch typing on this beast. 
I thought I had enough red and white large round buttons, but when I sorted them, I only had two red and three white.  I had to use a yellow, the closest to white I could find.  I wrote the letters on the buttons using a couple of Sharpies.  I adhered the buttons to the page using E-6000.

Finally, after all that hard work, as I was heading to photograph my page, it slipped from my fingers and fell to the floor.  My "helper" Squiggles, who loves to toss things, caught it between his paws and decided to flip it.  It was at that point I screamed NOOOOOOO, to which he dropped it and promptly stepped on it as he ran away.  That's why there is what looks like a mistake in the middle of the typewriter.  It's actually Squiggles' back paw and claw.

Thank you ever so much for dropping by today.  Bleubeard, and I are delighted you joined us and hope to see you soon at Art Journal Journey with your own take on Type.




17 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Squiggles sure is the cutest helper.
My Australian Lenovo says QWERTY, too, my PC gives QWERTZ.
Always a pain to switch, LOL.
I remember Cuba 2002. There was internet in the hall - did cost some money! I wanted to let my Bro know we arrived safely.
Money was running and there I sat trying to figure out how to type the "@"!!!!
Boy, I felt so darn dumb!
All that after I found the other typos.
I had no desire to go online there again! ;-)

Elephant's Child said...

Smiling at the evidence of your cat helper. That handiwork is very evident here. Often.
And I was thrilled to see a comment land on my blog from you this morning.

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful page, Elizabeth, and glad Squiggles had fun helping you! There are always great images at the Graphics Fairy, I have a lot from there. Have a great day, have fun, hugs, Valerie

presstfortime said...

This is fantastic and very creative. The feel of typing on one of these beasts is one of those things like hearing the comforting scratch of a well-loved vinyl record. Or is it just me?

Neet said...

You have left a smile on my face - yes, I remember having to 'pound' the keys on the old typewriters that looked like this one. That and the fact that Squiggles did his best to catch your page between his front paws. If you hadn't said anything I would not have noticed the mark on the typewriter but how lovely to have a bit of art from Squiggles for a change.
Great idea to use buttons for QWERTY, the yellow one looks quite at home there amongst the red and white buttons and it gives a lovely picture with the shadow from them. I had to smile at the thoughts of you staping all those letters. Not easy, it is so simple to get something upside down or back to front - thinking the letter 'B' here - it would be so easy to have that one wrong. But you managed all of them in the right way and I am impressed.
Thanks for another successful page for my thee at Art Journal Journey.
Hugs, neet xxx

Neet said...

Looks as if I have a problem 'pounding' the letter "m" on my lap top. LOL
Hugs, Neet xx
ps theme and stamp - typos

My name is Erika. said...

You are rocking the typewriters this month my dear. I like this image, and I'd forgotten how hard it is to hit those typewriters. Frequent typers must have had some strong fingers. And I'd forgotten about qwerty. I love how you used button to make those letters. They look great. This is another super page for Neet's challenge! Happy new week, and see you this evening for T. Hugs-Erika

Sami said...

I learned to type in one of those "beasts" too. So much easier and faster to type on our much softer computers keyboard now :)
Great page Elizabeth and so much work!

Cindy McMath said...

Oh my goodness this reminds me of typing class back in high school. Manual typewriters and we used to type to some weird music and were all supposed to hit the return at the same time - ding! Childhood trauma aside - love this page. I got a kick out of hearing the story of Squiggles’ contribution to the page. The buttons are a great addition.

Divers and Sundry said...

This one's a lotta fun, especially knowing it was a cooperative effort :) Squiggles: budding artist apprentice :)

craftytrog said...

Brilliant, and I love those colourful buttons!

Cloudia said...

qwerty COOL!

sheila 77 said...

Hello Elizabeth,
Obviously I am beyond thrilled that Squiggles at last has contributed to your art, by both performance art and by paw art, and I am really impressed by the performance part.
He has been waiting a long time for this, I think, and there will be more I hope now that he has got started.

I started learning touch typing at a very young age on a typewriter which was ancient even then and I have a memory of it looking like this one. You had to hit the P with your little finger which I found very difficult.

Jeanie said...

Thank goodness I touch type. Till I got a new keyboard a few weeks ago, I didn't have many vowels, t, l,k, and a bunch of others. But no -- on that typewriter it is more like "pound typing.'"

CJ Kennedy said...

Squiggles helping you made me smile and I love how he signed the work. I learned to type on one of those beasts. You practically needed a hammer to depress the keys.

nwilliams6 said...

Squiggles just wanted to help - lol. Makes the page so much cooler!

Looking back, those machines were not easy to type on and did require much pressure. No wonder many of us have arthritus in our hands and fingers. Kids today would be shocked! Would seem like torture to them. Great type and great page Elizabeth. Hugz

Meggymay said...

I think Squiggles wanted to add his own stamp on this page. You now have his paw print as a seal of approval on the page which looks fantastic.
Yvonne xx