Monday, August 30, 2021

The Blank Page

 

Suzanne seemed to be suffering from writer's block.  For weeks, she had been staring at a blank page.

She stared at her typewriter in anguish.

It had taken her months to pound her way through the first five chapters, which she had retyped more times than she could count.  Her villain was not believable, her antagonist was too likeable, even to her, and her protagonist didn't seem sincere.  

There was obviously a flaw in her character development.

It was painfully obvious to Suzanne that she had writer's block.

She was tired of staring at a blank page.  She knew she had to type something.  After all, that was how she earned her living.  However, the words refused to come.  Her mind raced but it was filled with incoherence.  She couldn’t focus.  She realized she had writer’s block and there was nothing she could do about it.

By now, I'm sure you know this little tale is for Neet's theme at Art Journal Journey, which by now I'm sure you know is Type.  This page was created on 110 lb. cardstock.  I outlined the story using black dye ink.  The old typewriter was another freebie from The Graphics Fairy.  
 
As always, I am very grateful you stopped by today.  Bleubeard, and I are simply delighted you joined us and hope to see you at Art Journal JourneyYou still have two days to join us with your own take on Type

 

13 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

I am endlessly grateful to writers. The world over.

Neet said...

A great story. Elizabeth this is a lovely idea and what a typewriter! I wonder how they used this machine to type anything of length. No wonder she had writers block. I think I would have given up long before chapter three never mind chapter six had I had to use this machine.
Thank you so much for coming up with something so original for my theme at Art Journal Journey. This is fabulous. Wouldn't you just love to see this machine in real life and try it out? I would.
Hugs Neet xxx

Valerie-Jael said...

Fun story and page, Elizabeth! Hugs, Valerie

nwilliams6 said...

Super creative and fun, Elizabeth! Great story and love that image!! Hugz

My name is Erika. said...

Another very creative page Elizabeth. You do love this theme as you are really rocking these pages for AJJ. I love the little story you also started. It is a fun idea, and adding that unusual typewriter is a good idea. It is an interesting image for sure. I wonder how easy it was to type with the curved keyboard? Hope all is well. I've enjoyed your art this month for certain. Hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

Your illustrated flash fiction really came out neat.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Barbara said...

Amazing! So interesting. A typewriter that looks like a lawnmower!

DVArtist said...

As always a wonderful post filled with beautiful art. Have a great day.

craftytrog said...

A great page, I love the old typewriter and your story Elizabeth.
Happy new week,
Alison

Cloudia said...

Ha, cool meditation on writing and a cool old typewriter!

Sandra Cox said...

What a great piece. And I can sure empathize with Suzanne;)
Hope you're having all kinds of fun.

Lowcarb team member said...

I enjoyed this post.
Fun and very creative, thank you.

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

This was delightful, Elizabeth. Love the grpahic too!