Thursday, July 15, 2021

Wildflowers in the field

 

Butterfly from Words and Pictures is our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  Her theme is Summer Countryside.  This is today's offering.

I give you Wildflowers in the fields.

I thought this lovely watercolor (which I did NOT create)

was the perfect beauty for Butterfly's theme.

I've never made a secret of the fact, I can't draw realistic figures.

However, I felt I could draw what appeared to be either eucalyptus or poppy seed pods.  The only problem was, I didn't have the right watercolor pencils that would match the pods in the painting.

For this page, I began by coloring a sheet of 110 lb cardstock with Staz-on and 91% Isopropyl alcohol.  I recycled a birthday card and added the words I wrote by hand using an ink pen.  I colored the pods using watercolor pencils, then fussy cut them and attached them to the bottom of the page.  So the pods wouldn't float, I added a strip of what I'm calling grass from a page of scrapbook embellishments.

Bleubeard and I are thrilled you visited today and hope to see you at Art Journal Journey with your own interpretation of Summer Countryside.


22 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful page, oh, I love poppies.
And... I dreamed I had the perfect brushes for water-coloring.
Sometimes it gets a bit scary, LOL. (Not that I have the "good" colors).

aussie aNNie said...

BEAUTIFUL words and pictures, love the flowers and colouring is wowowow....xx

Dortesjs said...

lovely summer look page

sirkkis said...

Beautiful flowers and fit well on the page.
Have a happy day xx

Elephant's Child said...

Gorgeous. Again.

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous page. Your plant stems are great, the colours of the stems of various flowers mostly vary, so no problem! Hugs, Valerie

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

It's like your little poppy heads are racing to join in the beauty of those beautiful watercolour blooms, let their stems be whatever colour they choose to be.. Hugs Tracey xx

My name is Erika. said...

It is very beautiful dear Elizabeth. I love the poppies. I have never had any luck growing them so this beautiful piece is really appreciated. It’s perfect for Alison’s challenge too. Hope your week is going well. Hugs Erika

Mae Travels said...

We still have lots of wildflowers in bloom here, and I love taking photos of them. Like you, I doubt if I could draw them, which is why I love my camera.

Your workspace looks extremely well organized and functional. I’m way more messy than that.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

kathyinozarks said...

I love your journal page and I really like this months theme I need to think on that for a page Happy Thursday

sheila 77 said...

Hello Elizabeth,
The poppies look beautiful. They are a marvellous flower and so prolific if they like your garden. And you've painted poppy seed pods!!! It won't surprise you to hear from Orange E. that you can make your poppies or poppy pods any colour you want, it's your painting and I love it and I love that you have given them circular anchors.
Love from Sheila

CJ Kennedy said...

I like what you did with this wildflower page. Your seed pods are pretty. As to the shade of green, if you look at plants and flowers grouped together, really look, you will see many shades of green for stems and leaves.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

the part of this piece you created Elizabeth is great....I can't draw anything but maybe a tic tac toe board !!! :)

bleu and squiggles; heerz two a grate week end ....we bee offline fora few....get inta lotz oh nip out back !!

☺☺♥♥

craftytrog said...

Love how you used those beautiful flowers Elizabeth! Great page!

Barbara said...

Watercolor pencils are fun, and I think the pod color adds more interest!,

Sharon Madson said...

Well, you drew better than I could, Elizabeth. Great fussy cutting, too. It is a pretty scene. Happy Thursday!

nwilliams6 said...

Lovely flowers, I like how you added the stems and your "grass" is very cool! Fun page, Elizabeth. Hugz

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful poppy page! Loving the flower image with the bright colours of summer 😀. Happy Friday and weekend! Hugs, Jo x

Divers and Sundry said...

Pretty poppies, and I like how you did the pods.

Meggymay said...

A beautiful page your own additions to the page draw the eye in to the main image you used, Its a wonderful scene you created.
Sorry I am late calling in here.
Yvonne xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Absolutely wonderful dear Elizabeth! Chrisxx

Words and Pictures said...

So lovely... how I'd love to be wandering amongst those colourful wildflowers. I'm just starting my garden meadow - there are already some wonderful flowers and grasses in the mix, but I'm going to have to do some work to reduce the numbers of dandelions!
Alison x