Monday, July 19, 2021

Rock Climbing

 

It appears I never showed this on Art Journal Journey.  Although it's a bit late to be linking it, I thought I would share it anyway.  I know some of you have seen it already, but that's what happens when I forget to link my journal page.

Butterfly from Words and Pictures is our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  Her theme is Summer Countryside.  I'm sure she had a different countryside in mind, but I thought this would be a good change of pace from the peaceful countrysides I've been showing.  

Today I'm enjoying a bit of rock climbing.
 

In case you can't read my writing:
Rock climbing is my favorite sport in summer.
That rock formation looks very challenging.

Perhaps I'll just climb the pile of rocks at the base of the mountain

and leave the higher climbing to those who are more experienced.

For the background of this 110 lb cardstock, I chose a stencil that I thought looked a bit like rocks.  I used a stencil brush and a brown dye ink.  I then sewed the black background and the image found in a magazine together using blue thread.  Finally, I colored a piece of leftover cardstock with a brown water soluble crayon to which I added the sentiment using black ink.  

Bleubeard and I are really happy you visited today and hope to see you at Art Journal Journey with your own interpretation of Summer Countryside.


15 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely page Elizabeth, have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

I think I will just watch. Your handwriting is completely legible - and your page clever and lovely.

CJ Kennedy said...

Looks a little like Purgatory Chasm near my home. The chasm was created by a glacier during the last ice age. We took my Nephew when he was little and hiked the chasm. Thanks for the fun memory

Annie said...

I’m with you, I’ll climb that little pile. Ha! I’m always able to read your handwriting. Showing the harder yet no less beautiful side of a countryside summer is a great spin on the theme.

The spam comment from Celi is the most amusing spam comment I’ve ever read.

Meggymay said...

A super take on the countryside theme, climbing those rocks would be a no go for me but I'm sure those who are fit and well would take great pleasure in being in that part of the countryside.
Yvonne xx

Iris Flavia said...

Love the page but I hate climbing.
My arm was just healing from a complicated break and it was sooo complicated to get down in Flinders Ranges (Australia) - I started crying like a little kid, wanting a heli to pick me up.
8 hours later we were at the tent and I fell asleep, too tired to eat.
I hate climbing ever since!
These days I can laugh but I will never climb!

My name is Erika. said...

I like this view of summer countryside. It is different but it is still the countryside. I bet even the pile of rocks is a challenging climb. I think I will just watch you go up them-smile. Hope it was a good Monday.

Jeanie said...

Rock climbing? Not me! I have trouble on flat, low ground!

Divers and Sundry said...

Walking, yes. Hiking, yes. Rock climbing? Scary! But I'm impressed by those who do. It looks dangerous to me, even for folks who are fit and know what they're doing.

SewPaperPaint said...

Wow! Lovely layers and what a gorgeous topic. I have never had a chance to do any climbing, but would love to someday. Great inspiration, thank you! Hugs, Autumn

Nicole/DVAtist/Beadwright said...

I love this kind of terrain. Very pretty.

craftytrog said...

A beautiful page! I won't join you with your rock climbing though :D

pearshapedcrafting said...

I'll leave you do do the rock climbing - I'll sit at the bottom and watch if you don't mind!! Your page is wonderful though! Hugs, Chrisx

nwilliams6 said...

I wish I could do rock climbing - the rock climbers mesmerize me. They have such bravery and strong fingers and body. I can't even climb the stairs all the time - lol! Super fun page, Elizabeth!

Neet said...

At one time I might have abseiled down it but not sure about climbing up it. Like you, I could manage the rocks at the foot of the sheer face but that is about it for me.
Hugs, Neet xx